PDA

View Full Version : electro magnetic gun

danheneise
10-27-2003, 09:28 PM
ok here's one i thought of last night, turn on the gun and it powers up from the battery in the tray, and turns on the m2 or 2nd magnet therefore bringing the bolt back and loading the gun, pull the trigger (microswitch) and it shuts the power off to m2 (2nd magnet) and transfers the power to m1 (1st magnet) bringing the hammer and bolt foward pushing the ball into the breach and hitting the valve assembly allowing air to pass to the upper bolt and firing the paintball, releasing the trigger (microswitch) will transfer the power from m1 back to m2 to recock again.

http://mysite.verizon.net/dan.heneise/electromag.JPG

would there be magnets and circuit boards capable of doing this? also in front of the valve is the airchamber and would be able to have a lpr in front of that, making it low pressure.

redlaser666
10-27-2003, 11:46 PM
Something like this is posible, but to generate that kind of magnetic field you would need a lot of electrical power, probably beyond what a common 9v battery can provide. It would also generate a lot of heat, which will afest the air presure un the chamber, thus the velocity.

danheneise
10-30-2003, 11:47 AM
first of all, how much heat would it produce? and second what if the magnets were in the back of the gun, working the same way except turning on the gun makes the bottom magnet pull on the bottum bolt, and pulling the trigger transfers the power to the top magnet which pushes on the top bolt and then switches back to recock it, would this help keep the heat away from the air source? and also, with moving the magnets to the back, this would allow for more room for more or larger batteries to be placed in the rail.

i'll redraw it tonight to better explain what i am describing here.

Crimson_Turkey
10-30-2003, 09:35 PM
It might be better to use a spool valve design with this gun. Make it smaller.

redlaser666
10-30-2003, 09:53 PM
You must remember thay on your current design you are trying to move a "Heavy" load atleast 3/4". If you look at most normal battery powerd solenoids, you will notice they don't pull or push more than 1/4". The more distance you have to move, the greater the magnetic field has to be to move the object.
In your design you are trying to move somewhere aroung 2-5 ounces plus the force you need to open the valve. It would take some serious power to achive that pull. Probably in the 30 - 100 watt range which is a consideable ammount. It would probably heat up by a degre every 10 or 20 shots. By the time you unload your hopper, temp would probably be about 15 degrees higher and your velocity would be considerably higher.

A spool valve desing would be much better suited to this kind of design, by using the electromagnet to hold the bolt back instead of a sear. But this would also cause heat build up if you don't fire the gun for some extended period of time.

Sorry for the long post. I hope this helps you understand a bit more about electromagnetism.

powerofthegospel
10-31-2003, 06:29 PM
This is way out there, but thinking about it, why not just use magnets to completely power the gun? Instead of air blowing the bolt forward why not use an electromagnet and eliminate need for a tank? My friend brought this up the other night, just wanna see what you guys think of it.

Peace,
J.J.

danheneise
10-31-2003, 07:31 PM
first of all from what i've already learned in the other few posts, it would take a lot of power/energy just to do it WITH air, now make it to wear you don't need air at all, well now the magnet just has to work harder to throw the bolt forward hard enough, i guess that's kinda what you mean, is that the bolt would launch it out with enough push. second, if that is what you mean, imagine how strong the kick of the gun would be, also, since the magnet would have to work much harder, it would probably heat up more too. The best thing i could think to do to make a new gun, is take the already popular electro pneumatic marker and make it as small as possible, or take the blow forward and do what my other idea suggests, is make it feel like an electro pneumatic

Ice
11-02-2003, 02:07 PM
If you used a blowback valve you would only need the magnet to push the hammer forward. Since it'll use air to push it back. This would mean you could but a regular magnet in there. And have an emagnet. So when you turn on the emagnet it'll push the other magnet away. Which'll push the hammer forward. You'll just have to keep it +&+ or -&-.

Just a thought. It'll reduce the amount of power you'll need.

-Ice

danheneise
11-02-2003, 02:54 PM
hmm, that may be a good idea with the blowback. and since there would be no spring in the back like on normal blowbacks the air would have an easier time recocking the gun, therefore being able to go to a very low pressure. then just a sear would have to be implemented unless some air could be kept in front of the ram to keep it cocked back, and then vented out when the trigger is pulled while the magnet is activated.

not a bad idea Ice.

Ice
11-02-2003, 06:19 PM
Can emagnets turn for + to -?

redlaser666
11-02-2003, 06:32 PM
Yes, you just have to invert the battery conections, just like in an electric motor.

Ice
11-05-2003, 07:20 PM
So if you could figure out how to invert the connection, you could in turn push/pull the hammer back and forth? (Assuming it's a strong enough magnet)

Jon S
11-06-2003, 06:24 AM
I've been toying with an idea like this myself, I was thinking about a blowback or maybe spring return. My idea did try to simplifiy it in the following way:

• Have one *strong* permanent magnet in the back end of the lower tube, like the velo. adjuster on a JABB.

• Use some method of insulation (is that possible) to block the magnet, and then use a solenoid such as on a sear-tripper to lower this, and thus push the hammer (another magnet) away.

Problems I can see are:

• Is it even possible to have some material insulate the magnet?

• Might the magnet lose its stregnth after the many, many impacts that it will receive. If this is to work, the hammer will need to be magnetic. One advantage, though, is that it wont require the electricity to power an electromagnet.

What do you make of that?