PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain this about the Matrix 2 to me?

PyRo
10-28-2003, 03:02 AM
How was Zion destroyed 6 times before? It makes no sence to me what the dude said. If Zion is destoryed, doesn't that mean machines win, wars over the end? How did it come back, how the heck can he pick real people to recreate the city in the real world? Is it like the matrix within the matrix or somthing? I just never quite figured out what the heck was going on.

davidb
10-28-2003, 03:15 AM
I think what it was was that they just let them live to repopulate Zion. Like, they killed everyone else but just left the city basically intact and left the people to breed like bunnies. How they neglected to pass this information to their children, I do not know. The reason they leave the people there to repopulate is so that they can use the anomaly to debug the system. I started watching it earlier today, but had to stop right before Neo fought the Smiths. :mad: Maybe after I get a chance to see it again I'll get back to you..

edweird
10-28-2003, 03:59 AM
I think that the whole concept is that the machines allow a small band of resistance fighters to exist as a "outside" quality assurance program, to further challenge the machines in ways that only humans can.

Although what is diffrent about this incarnation is that this generations "One" did not opt out as the others before him did and chose to fight for it all.

RusskiX
10-28-2003, 05:09 AM
Yeah, but the deeper question is... How did Neo stop the Sentinals (squids) in the "real" world at the end of the movie? (hint: notice the quotation marks)

Python14
10-28-2003, 07:20 AM
The Matrix within a Matrix theory.

Some people believe that in fact, Zion and the Desert Real are in fact just another layer of the Matrix. I mean, seriously, the best way to keep humans in line is to make them think they have escaped when all they've really done is thought they escaped. However, that cannot explain why Agent Smith was able to get into the mind of whats his face(and thus be the only survivor).

Regardless of theories and such, the next movie is gonna be hella good.

MantisMag
10-28-2003, 09:30 AM
why does everybody get hung up on smith being in the real world? i don't get what the problem is. he took over the guys digital self. so when he left through the hardline that puts him inside the guy's brain. what's the big deal?

RusskiX
10-28-2003, 09:53 AM
Especially if you consider that if the Real is another layer of the Matrix, it would fit neatly that if humans can jump between layers, why couldn't a sentient program like Agent Smith. They could all be just virtual personifications slipping between layers. The Matrix always has you; there is no escape!:eek:

dansim
10-28-2003, 10:44 AM
its all a dream in a small childs mind wich then we discover is actually a new game sytem title M2POS

the second matrix sucked the third better be much better

Restola
10-28-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by RusskiX
Especially if you consider that if the Real is another layer of the Matrix
They already promised this wasn't the case.

Here's another little connection for you. Both Smith and Neo are able to "control" the machines in the real world to some extent. Neo obviously at the end of the 2nd movie. But Smith would have been killed by the sentinals if they couldn't recognize him or be controlled by him in some way during the counter-attack.

Python14
10-28-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by dansim

sigh......Every second movie sucks until you see the third one. Well, except for LOTR:TTT.

PyRo
10-28-2003, 11:39 AM
Lord Of The Rings was the worst movie ever :)
Old men with hairy feed smoking weed? No thanks.

logamus
10-28-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Python14
sigh......Every second movie sucks until you see the third one.

then explain empire strikes back. explain the godfather part 2. those are the best of their 3 and they were the 2nd movie. it can be done. you can make a decent 2nd movie.

Originally posted by dansim

amen

Originally posted by PyRo
Lord Of The Rings was the worst movie ever :)
Old men with hairy feed smoking weed? No thanks.

thank you, a voice of reason.

Wc Keep
10-28-2003, 12:39 PM
ok you guys werent thinking. neo didnt stop the sentinels. the ship that was right next to them that saved them stopped the sentinels.

the reason they didnt tell there children is that they didnt know. zion was completely destroyed, and then 23 people from the matrix were selected by the "one" to recreate it.

the problem with smith being in the real world is that he sabotaging everything. like when he hit the electronic thingy premature in the counter attack and had the humans slaughtered.

Dayspring
10-28-2003, 01:32 PM
I would normally agree with you on this one Lorenzo, however, in order for the ship to use the EMP, they have to be powered down, otherwise they'd be helpless. (Much like what happened when Smith sabotaged the fleet.) EMP disables all electrical systems, machine and their own.

And in the trailer for the 3rd movie, you see Neo controlling/blowing up the machines with a wave of his hand.

PyRo
10-28-2003, 01:40 PM
Wouldn't they have noticed somthing about how there was just a random city down there?
Agreed on the ship having to be powered down for the EMP, so it couldn't have been the other ship. Why though, did they leave there ship in the first place? Wouldn't an EMP have disabled the bomb before it got to the ship?

Fred
10-28-2003, 01:55 PM
OK.

Zion is a place where the "free" humans live, after they have "escaped" the matrix.

However, new info is leading me to believe that the "free" people are within another shell of the matrix, essentially have been tricked into believing that they are in reality... the Architect said something to that effect.

they know that the core matrix is false, and seek to escape it... the machines allow them to leave one sphere of existance, only to control them in another shell of that same sphere... make sense?

The amount of interference by the people of Zion into the core of the matrix begins to destabilize the core, "the one" for example, and the machines have to re-boot the system... wipe out the anomoly, and reset equilibrium in the system.

Zion is a virtual place, it can be rebuilt instantly, and repopulated gradually by the selected few chosen by The One. the people under the control of the matrix have yet to re-enter the embodied world, because the matrix has such a level of control over their percieved reality that they can never truly escape it.

So... 6 reboots.. 6 zions... 6 "Ones"...

---Fred

RusskiX
10-28-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Restola

They already promised this wasn't the case.

Restola, where did you get this info from? Did the directors say this?

Jonneh
10-28-2003, 02:01 PM
So far, the only story of what's happening has been told by Morpheus and his crew, (and kinda half arsedly by colonal sanders in reloaded). So if the System-within-the-system thing is true, then morpheus and co are all part of that system too, thus totally negating what we have been told by morpheus, since it would be kinda stupid if the machines told people about themselves. So that leads to a much greater question, What is the matrix... Really?

Personally, I believe that we have all been duped, and that Morpheus, Neo and company are all infact overly self conscious machines, forced into a system (beleiving themselves to be human) by man to keep them under control. Of course how they explain this, in an interesting manner, whilst having lots of fights, in a 2 hour movie is yet to be seen. I look forward to it

RusskiX
10-28-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Jonneh

Personally, I believe that we have all been duped, and that Morpheus, Neo and company are all infact overly self conscious machines, forced into a system (beleiving themselves to be human) by man to keep them under control.

The irony would be delicious! I like it! :D

Hexis
10-28-2003, 03:23 PM
Possible Spoiler Warning

Not like I really know anything, just my thoughts on the matter.

The Architect was pretty clear. The initial crops of copper tops rejected the programming of the Matrix. The Oracle figured out that they needed choice. This choice, even on a subconscious level allowed the vast majority of the crops to accept the programming of the matrix. For that choice to be real, the machines had to have free humans.

In order to make sure that they didn’t get out of control the Oracle would prophesize “the one” to find their way back to the Source. This would happen, that version of Zion would be destroyed and “the one” would select a subset to recreate a new Zion. They had no real choice since the alternative was the extinction of the human race.

Neo chose to rescue Trinity, and when he escaped exited the Matrix after talking to the Architect he somehow became more conscious of the machine world in the real world. This allows him some level of control of the machines. It’s pretty clear from the second trailer that he is going to go in the real world to talk to the mainframe or what have you of the Matrix and offer to clean up Smith. Smith has expanded beyond the control of the computers maintaining the Matrix. So Neo is going to offer a deal, let Zion survive and he will take care of Smith.

Rumble
10-28-2003, 03:49 PM
i believe hexis just ruiened the third movie for us :rolleyes:

PyRo
10-28-2003, 04:09 PM
THere goes the Matrix 3 for me :(
Don't read Hexis's post.

Hexis
10-28-2003, 04:11 PM
I added a warning. It's not like this was a spoiler free thread.

Restola
10-28-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by RusskiX
Restola, where did you get this info from? Did the directors say this?
The Wachowski brothers promised it wasn't a "matrix in a matrix" when the second and third movies were announced. I can't source it right now though.

It's pretty common knowledge if you browse through some matrix boards (which I did breifly before I came upon that to make sure it wasn't a "matrix in a matrix").

Restola
10-28-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Rumble
i believe hexis just ruiened the third movie for us :rolleyes:

lol how did that ruin it?

Everything he said is straight from the movie or the revolutions trailer.

Hexis
10-28-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Restola

lol how did that ruin it?

Everything he said is straight from the movie or the revolutions trailer.

Damn skippy. He asks for an explaination, and gets one. Then he whines about it?

Restola
10-28-2003, 04:20 PM
lol yeah

PyRo
10-28-2003, 04:23 PM
I didn't ask to know what happens next :)
Ill go download it, watch it then tell you how it ends to get you back :)
Oh, and thanks for the explination.

Python14
10-28-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by logamus
then explain empire strikes back. explain the godfather part 2. those are the best of their 3 and they were the 2nd movie. it can be done. you can make a decent 2nd movie.

It's decent after you see all three.

If you were to have seen those series in order, the second movie would seem awkward like a 15 year old going through puberty. I saw SW in order(all in 1 evening) and when we finished ESB, I was like "WTF? That movie sucked"....but after seeing all three, it makes sense and thus, is the best of the three.

Godfather just sucks. I hate all three of them.

Matrix should work the same way. You were not dissappointed in the movie itself, you just want to hear the end of it so bad that the last one makes no sense in the grand scheme of things....yet. Trust me, when you see the third, you'll like the second more than you do right now.

MantisMag
10-28-2003, 07:11 PM
i think it would have been really funny if they got everybody super pissed off by ending the movie right before neo makes his choice of doors. :evil:

PyRo
10-28-2003, 07:15 PM
I was actualy thinking it would probably end there the first time I saw it.

Vex
10-29-2003, 05:51 AM
My understanding is basically that the machines have to keep rebuilding Zion as long as the anomoly (the One) keeps "popping" up. Once they figure out how to get rid of the anomoly, then they can completely wipe out the humans--but they weren't counting on Neo... :D

RamboPreacher
10-29-2003, 08:15 AM
All I know is that I am glad I didn't go see the second one at the theater. The ending "inhaled with great force!"

If I wnat to see a mini-series, I would stay at home and watch TV. What's with the "to be continued" at a movie in a THEATER!!! If I had gone to the theater, I would have stormed out at the end and asked the manager to refund my money.

I know it's a "trilogy" but each movie is supposed to be a movie unto itself! If I want "to be continued's", I'll watch Stargate SG1 season finalies.

fire1811
10-29-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by RamboPreacher
All I know is that I am glad I didn't go see the second one at the theater. The ending "inhaled with great force!"

If I wnat to see a mini-series, I would stay at home and watch TV. What's with the "to be continued" at a movie in a THEATER!!! If I had gone to the theater, I would have stormed out at the end and asked the manager to refund my money.

I know it's a "trilogy" but each movie is supposed to be a movie unto itself! If I want "to be continued's", I'll watch Stargate SG1 season finalies.

i actually thought he ending was quite good.
very good cliff hanger

PyRo
10-29-2003, 09:41 AM
It was "To be concluded" not continued :)

Wc Keep
10-29-2003, 10:12 AM
actually if you watch the dvd extras it explains how the second and third one are the same movie just split in two because it was too long.

Hexis
10-29-2003, 10:26 AM
Well, they planned it as two movies (at least release wise) the entire time. They filmed and wrote it as one continuous story.

However, I think we will see this more and more. Kill Bill was spilt into two parts very late in production.

In some ways I wish LotR would have been the original 6 parts. Six 2.5 hours movies would have allowed them to cover a lot more material. But then again, I'm not all that normal in my desire for huge long epic stories that are serial.

I loved Babylon 5 because it was pretty much a 5 season long single story.

If a show has the whole "previously on..." at the start of each episode, I’m generally going to like it a lot more. I don’t like thinks to conclude at the end of each episode.

fire1811
10-29-2003, 11:21 AM
there is a
Making the Movie
show on MTV right now about The Matrix
if anyone is interested

pretty cool so far

fire1811
10-29-2003, 11:34 AM
freggin awesome
mtv has a movie premiere of a scence from the next matrix

they said in the begining of the movie they find out that neo is stuck between the machine world and real world so
morpheus, trinity, Seraph go to get him.

they end up in a hallway like the lobby in the first matrix and have a gun battle with a couple dudes. its very cool looking. they where walking on the ceiling and stuff very cool. said that there walking on ceiling and all the stunts in that seen where actually done no camera stuff.

looks good