PDA

View Full Version : Good, Fast, Cheap - pick two.

Hexis
10-28-2003, 09:06 PM
I was thinking about the Good-Cheap-Fast rule (pick any two) and was trying to think of a way to explain AGD’s really good, really fast, not really cheap fit with something similar in a non paintball industry. I came to an interesting conclusion.

I think Tom Kaye and Steve Jobs are brothers separated at birth, or something.

Both Apple and AGD have chosen to make high quality products that make no design compromises. They both make very fast products. Both companies start with "A". Both main product lines are commonly know as a three letter word starting with "M", followed by an "a". And both product lines got a whole lot cooler when something with a 10 (also written as "X") came along.

That’s just wonky.

adam shannon
10-28-2003, 09:18 PM
i would have to say tom is more like tucker. both their products were beyond their time. the competition dismissed the tucker...yet they were afraid of him and ripped off his best ideas as soon as he was gone. and like the mag the tucker had a relatively small following that recognized the genius. tucker never made it big because SP oh i mean GM and the rest sued him among other things.

-=Squid=-
10-28-2003, 10:07 PM
I would say AGD is good, and not cheap or fast lol.

X mags = NOT fast (6 months lol)
NOT cheap ($1400)

GOOD! CHA CHING!

personman
10-28-2003, 10:12 PM
Retromag = good, cheap, fast :p

-=Squid=-
10-28-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by personman
Retromag = good, cheap, fast :p I suppose :mad:

AGD
10-28-2003, 11:24 PM
Actually its "quality delivery price pick two". The Steven Jobs thing is interesting although he was more of a sales guy than I am.

AGD (Always Good Damit!)

epterry
10-28-2003, 11:31 PM
lol Thanks for giving me a laugh. I think the forum needs more threads like this and the "Tom get a new hairdo" thread.:D

GT
10-28-2003, 11:33 PM
Hell 6 mo wait on an xmag is nothing.

Try some of the cutting edge race crap in the auto industry. Took my bud about a year until he had the civic how he liked. I think it was worth it, 445hp and 360ft/lbs of trq aint bad from a 1.9l :eek: thats in a car you can drive everyday with a/c.

You only get one choice. How about "buy cheap buy twice"

GTR(Previous mod of 2 Honda forums)si

jb

kosmo
10-29-2003, 07:49 AM
Kosmos top 10 komments on this thread:

#1 The only decent things apple makes are ipods and monitors. Otherwise they suck.
#2 Front wheel drive sucks
#3 Honda sucks
#4 445/360 from a 1.9 definately doesnt suck
#5 Honda still sucks
#6 Just out of curiosity, what was his mileage like?
#7 No engine is easier or cheaper to modify than the good ol 350 small block. Invest the money that was invested into that honda and youd easily have over 700 to 800 hp. I mean cripes, they can push out 550 whilst N/A on pump gas with only bolt on modifications.
#8 That nissan 3.5 is looking quite impressive though, and a few years from now with plenty o aftermarket support it could dominate. Very reliable and very powerful
#9 Quality Delivery Price: What happens when you dont pick any? 1980's Jaguar...
#10 At least the xmag wait isnt as long as it could be... I mean if they would hurry up and fricken match annodize the valves it would appeal to a lot more people. Well I dont know about a lot... but at least one:D .

GT
10-29-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by kosmo
Kosmos top 10 komments on this thread:

#1 The only decent things apple makes are ipods and monitors. Otherwise they suck.
#6 Just out of curiosity, what was his mileage like?

Apple doesnt make thier moniters, Sony does:eek:

The civic gets about 33mpg on the track:eek:

BTW start this thread in the Frendiely corner and bring some facts with you next time. Trust me I have been over this debate time and time again, so come prepared!

jb

Hexis
10-29-2003, 09:18 AM
Talk about thead hyjacking. This is just wrong.

Tom, Jobs is more of an engineer than you think. He was working on what is now OSX (MacOS on unix) over a decade ago. In fact it's one of the reasons he left Apple for a time. It was called NeXT. It was pretty cool, but way ahead of it's time, and had performance problems because of it (sound familiar?). It must have been doomed to fail because it didn't start with an "M", and had too many letters. At least it had the "X" in there.

afrankart
10-29-2003, 06:18 PM
Anyways, in response to the original question posed, I have to vote:

#1 Good

#2 Fast

SpecialBlend2786
10-29-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by AGD

AGD (Always Good Damit!)

hahaha :p

Miscue
10-30-2003, 03:40 AM
Good, cheap, and fast... hurm...

Roxanne... you don't have to put on the red light... Rooooxanne...

breg
10-30-2003, 04:09 AM
The Steve Jobs compairsion is really interesting.

Some other correllations:

1. AGD and Apple/Mac users both swear by thier products.

2. Both are admittedloy better than most of the products in thier respective fileds, though most people won't admit it.

3. Both poinereed a lot of innovations that people take for gratned.

4. Many people don't realize that AGD and Steve jobs invented / are respnosible for the continuation of the fileds that they support.

Albinonewt
10-30-2003, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by Hexis
I think Tom Kaye and Steve Jobs are brothers separated at birth, or something.

Both Apple and AGD have chosen to make high quality products that make no design compromises. They both make very fast products. Both companies start with "A". Both main product lines are commonly know as a three letter word starting with "M", followed by an "a". And both product lines got a whole lot cooler when something with a 10 (also written as "X") came along.

Yeah, but Steve Jobs nearly kills his company twice a decade. Unless you're ready for a roller coaster ride of ups and downs I wouldn't pattern myself after him (although with Pixar, the man is now unstoppable)

kosmo
10-30-2003, 09:07 AM
Hrm, I didnt know sony made the monitors. So I guess apple sucks even more now. And track numbers are useless if youre calling it a daily driver. Anywho.... Is it concievable that in the future AGD could achieve all 3 criteria? Why is it impossible to expand production without hindering quality? Difficult, yes, but impossible? Relating the "hijacker" threads to the original, you could use the automobile industry as an example. While Honda may suck, it is from a philosophical perspective that they do. They still make large quantities of quality automobiles for cheap. Is there really a 400 dollar quality difference between a bushmaster and a viking? And does it actually cost 300 dollars more to make an RTPro as opposed to a powerfeed classic? Do you even still actually produce classics? And if so, is it even close to as profitable? If not, then why make them?

Hexis
10-30-2003, 09:16 AM
I’m not really all that interested in a debate about how much Apple does or does not suck. It’s clear you are spouting an opinion as fact.

If you really do want do have that discussion, create a separate thread in Friendly Corner.

I thought of another similarity. Both company’s user bases are small, loyal and misunderstood. Mag and Mac owners have been called cultish at times. Both groups evangelize their products to everyone, some to the point of being kookish. Kind of like TiVo owners in that way.

SkyBoySurfer
10-30-2003, 12:35 PM
#1 AGD/Mac both Rule.

#2 Misubishi makes apple monitors.

#3 Both AGD and Mac's last forever....There both extreamly well made products.

#4 AGD/Mac Custimor care as well as quality care are both outstanding.

#5 Tom Kay and Steve jobbs are both perfectionist.(I would think at least)

#6 Hexis made some very asstute observations.

#7 Both mac OS X and the X valve has revolutionized there fields of industry.
=D

GT
10-30-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by SkyBoySurfer
#1 AGD/Mac both Rule.

#2 Misubishi makes apple monitors.
=D

You maybe right. I guess that is why my 17inch mitsu/nec LCD so so sweet looking compared to alot of its comp.

I posted this Q on TSS board,
http://cgi.techtv.com/messageboards?action=whole_thread_view&board_id=17&topic_id=73&thread_id=2108410&per_page=50

Hexis
10-30-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by SkyBoySurfer
#7 Both mac OS X and the X valve has revolutionized there fields of industry.
=D

OSX no doubt, but I was thinking more along the lines of Level 10 for AGD. The XValve is just a evolutionary design based on the RT (ReTro/Emag) valve and level 10. Taken as a while, then yes. I feel that the introduction of Level 10 was a huge step forward for AGD. I feel the same way about Macs, OSX was a huge step forward.