PDA

View Full Version : Markers with exposed moving parts.

Carbon
10-29-2003, 12:31 AM
Do you own a marker with exposed moving parts? Ie Viking, cockers, E-Cockers, timmys ect. I am currently in the proccess of picking a high electro to buy. One of the factors/criterion is based on of the gun has exposed moving parts.

1) How Has/does debris affected the performance of your gun mid game or during play day?

2) Does your exposed bolt, backblock ect. Pick up dirt due to lubrication.

3) is there a noticeable increased, maintenace (cleaning ect.) time between a exposed moving parts gun VS an non-exposed moving parts gun.

4) has you experience gun Malfunctions due to excessive debris being introduced into/onto the exposed moving parts?

Thn for yer time, Word!

AutomagRT1483
10-29-2003, 12:43 AM
Way back when I used to own a cocker, I never had a problem with debris what-so-ever. Unless you were to fall, or drop into some dirt or mud, then you really shouldnt have any problems. The lubricant would never pick anything up either.

Note: The cocker I owned was bone stock.;)

Steelrat
10-29-2003, 01:16 AM
Viking and E-cocker, no issues with dirt in moving parts. Generally the tolerances in the bolts and such prevent much junk from getting in there. The only crappy thing I have noticed is cleaning off the cocker pneumatics.

Maintenance on both is nothing more than a few drops of oil in the ASA. Eventually I'll need to lube the eblade, but that doesnt take much time.

Come to SCP on Sat and I'll go over it with ya. You can even take em for a test drive :D

sarpadian
10-29-2003, 06:02 AM
I own both a Timmy and a cocker, and I have had not problems that have been generated by the working parts being exposed. Also that is not really any extra maintenance that I have seen over my Mag or Nova which do not have any exposed moving parts.

paint magnet
10-29-2003, 11:23 AM
When you consider the fact that I clean my mag by sticking a hose into the mainbody (aired up of course) and shooting it a couple times then running some KC Trouble Free through it, I guess you could say that the markers with exposed moving parts I've owned did require more maintenance. The only contamination you will likely notice will be from dust/dirt that gets blown by the wind, unless you happen to drop your gun in the mud.

mykroft
10-29-2003, 12:43 PM
Rear cocking Spyder, Cocker.

No problems with each. In fact the two most problematic markers I've owned had no external moving parts(Matrix, Defiant).

DementedRabbit
10-29-2003, 12:56 PM
I play on one field that's entirely dirt(clay) mounds. Pretty much everything you bring onto the field picks up a hearty layer of filth.

After a day of play, I can hear a grinding when I work the bolt on my Autococker due to all the dirt that gets picked up by sliding and having your bunker shot at.

In the year I've played there, I haven't had to change any o-rings. I can't even see any wear specifically caused by the grinding.

I have however, scratched the inside of my stainless Autospirit due to dirt getting in the hopper from a very uncoordinated slide. It's only cosmetic- I can run a fingernail over the scratches and not feel anything.

Everything important, like the regulators and pneumatics that should never have dirt in them is already pressurized when it's on the field.

kevdupuis
10-29-2003, 03:10 PM
No problem with crud in the cocker. As for dirt or paint on the pneumatics,I just hose them off.

PS: Mykroft, long time no see.

afrankart
10-29-2003, 06:16 PM
No problems with the moving pars on my viking. Infact, no problems with anything on my viking whatsoever.

Ryknow
10-29-2003, 08:39 PM
1) How Has/does debris affected the performance of your gun mid game or during play day?

A: no, not in the least bit

2) Does your exposed bolt, backblock ect. Pick up dirt due to lubrication.

A:not at all

3) is there a noticeable increased, maintenace (cleaning ect.) time between a exposed moving parts gun VS an non-exposed moving parts gun.

A: to a small degree yes, the bolt needs to wiped off more often.. but whoptey do, the bolt is generally easier to get to if its exposed anyway.

4) has you experience gun Malfunctions due to excessive debris being introduced into/onto the exposed moving parts

A: can I hot you now or later?

My current gun: AKA Excalibur #172

Top Secret
10-29-2003, 08:43 PM
No real problems with my Eblade Cocker or Viking that I've noticed. I have managed to pinch my fingers on many occasion...

Ov3rmind
10-29-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by mykroft
In fact the two most problematic markers I've owned had no external moving parts(Matrix, Defiant).
I could've sworn the Defiant has an exposed bolt.

tony3
10-29-2003, 08:54 PM
my imp has had no problems at all with dirt and stuff, but after a day there is definietly dirt and paint on it, but I dont notice a preformence decrease

AlabamaMan
10-29-2003, 10:24 PM
Yeah my mag has all those exposed moving parts...

:D

Only problem i've ever had with moving parts on a marker, is hitting my lense with the bolt pin, on a cocker.

SpecialBlend2786
10-29-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by AlabamaMan

Only problem i've ever had with moving parts on a marker, is hitting my lense with the bolt pin, on a cocker.

hahaha, i've done that more then once.

thei3ug
10-30-2003, 02:55 PM
my palmers and my sheridans have both the hammer and the bolt exposed.
No trouble.

In Nelson guns, if you don't have nifty slot covers like me, you'll have two big grooves on the side of your marker exposing the bolt and the hammer. No troubles.

So... no troubles.

I did try to mill windows in my mag, but gas kept leaking out the side, so i wouldn't do that.