PDA

View Full Version : Old Valve?

AutomagRook
10-29-2003, 03:12 PM
i bought a used mag and its serial numbers tats with 09. i also cant seem to find any stars on the valve. does this mean its a very old valve? i saw that agd will sell you a new valve if youre serial # is under 30K. mines would be at 9K. if it is old, should i buy a more recent valve? or would just buying the replacement kit fix it?

Dayspring
10-29-2003, 03:26 PM
Unless it's broken, don't worry about it.

The stars are just for warranty service use.

If it leaks or anything, buy a replacement kit and swap in new orings. Otherwise, oil it and go to town.

AutomagRook
10-29-2003, 03:33 PM
it wouldnt make much difference if i buy a newer valve? i alreayd ordered the replacement kit and i plan to replace everything that i can.

valve had a strong leak from the back part.. but, i asked for help in pbreview and they told me to turn down the velocity and that stopped the problem. other wise no problems yet. i had started looking for a newer valve maybe with serial # over 30K. just becuase it might have less wear and tear. chepeast i can find it for is about $70. for that price i can get a lvl x upgrade. i was just wondering cuase i dont want this valve to give me any problems down the road.

Dayspring
10-29-2003, 04:12 PM
With you replacing the orings, you are eliminating the possibility of problems.

Don't sweat the Serial # on it. :)

And if it DOES by some weird chance give you problems, that's what we're here for. :)

AO- One stop shopping for the Mag shooter.

athomas
10-30-2003, 10:29 AM
My valve is older than yours and works like a top. Normal routine maintenance keeps a mag working flawlessly for years.

A couple of things you might want to check on your valve though; 1) Does the hole line up between the front and back halves of the valve? 2) Is the on/off top the new style or the old X style?

These things will not affect the operation of the mag, but you can get a bit more performace with a slight enhancement. If the holes from front to back don't line up, drill a new hole in the back half opposite the hole in the front half. It will improve air flow and help recharge at high rates of fire. The on/off top is not as much of an issue. The jury is still out whether it makes a difference to have a new one over the old one. However, the new one is universal meaning you can't accidently put it in upside down like the old one.

PyRo
10-30-2003, 01:17 PM
The jury was in on the on-off tops along time ago. Its just idiot proof, thats the only differance. Or in some cases i has proved to be only idiot resistant :)