PDA

View Full Version : Rack Mounted PC Cases

ubooze
10-29-2003, 11:03 PM
Will rack mounted PC cases work with audio style racks? Is there any differemce between the two styles?

I think it would be neat to make a LAN/Entertainment PC constructed in one of those mixer/rack cases that have the front and back come off. I was wondering if a rack mounted PC would fit in there. Adding a mixer and what not would also be sweet.

Thanks

Tron
10-29-2003, 11:37 PM
It will but make sure to add a rack fan or keep it cool some other way.

OfficerGoat
10-29-2003, 11:40 PM
Thing is that most rackmount boxes are longer than a normal pc is.... you would definantly have to leave the back off for cooling too. Anywho... standard racks are 19"... I'm pretty sure that audio are the same.

Jaasper
10-30-2003, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by OfficerGoat
Thing is that most rackmount boxes are longer than a normal pc is.... you would definantly have to leave the back off for cooling too. Anywho... standard racks are 19"... I'm pretty sure that audio are the same.

I looked into this once, to make a LAN party box. They will fit, 19inch rack is a 19inch rack. You just have to pay attention to the depth. Most audio racks are around 20inchs in depth is I remember and very few rack mount PC case are that short. There were a few that would work though.

MarkM
10-30-2003, 08:33 AM
The length issue can be avioded but it will cost you...SKB (don't have a link sorry) make plastic cases with metal framing in the longer length. be careful with the amount of U that you buy as the weight of the units can make for an unstable (internally) case, the SKB cases are threaded at both ends so fan units can be added with a minimum of fuss. There are some copys available and to be honest I cannot see any difference other than the price...the 2U version of the copy however will not stack correctly but all of the other sizes do fit together fine.

Muzikman
10-30-2003, 10:19 AM
You have one problem...the rails do not fit. I already tried this. Most rack mounted computer cases use rails that let you slide the computer in and out to work on. These rails do not fit in a standard audio rack. That does not mean you can make a bracket that will let it fit. As people pointed out, audio and standard computer racks are both 19" wide.

Hexis
10-30-2003, 11:15 AM
If depth is an issue, go with a taller case. Pretty much only 1U and 2U cases are insanly deep. If you get a 4U case, it will take up more vertical height, but will fit in a shorter space, and will not need any rear support.

If you do want to keep it super small, there are some smaller cases that are not deep, but you will need to make sure everything you need will fit in there.

I have a 1U (1.75") tall case on my desk. It's only 13.5" deep. That does give it limits. It's only got room for one HD, no floppy or CD. It could have a single PCI card (on a riser).

I have purchased a number of 1U systems from GTWeb (http://www.gtweb.net). I have been very happy with their quality. They have all different sized cases.

Crighton
10-30-2003, 12:06 PM
I have a 4u pc racked in with the rest of my audio equipment. No problems what so ever with it.

DJBacon06
10-30-2003, 05:45 PM
for the ultimate in LAN partying....just do what i did and build a computer in a brief case:p

http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1057590

einhander619
10-30-2003, 06:18 PM
Hey I have one of those too! I call mine a lap-top.

DJBacon06
10-30-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by einhander619
Hey I have one of those too! I call mine a lap-top.

don't make fun:( but guess how much money i payed for that system? a grand total of *drum roll* $0!!--everything was lying aorund my house:)

einhander619
10-30-2003, 06:37 PM
I know, I was just about to edit my post and say sorry. Seriously, that's not bad though, I'd do stuff like that all the time, I just don't have spare pc parts.

DJBacon06
10-30-2003, 06:52 PM
heh heh....I had all kinds of ideas for its use, but i think its gonna end up being a CS server.

Sorry 'bout gettin really off topic!....