PDA

View Full Version : LX using longest spring...

FortySix&2
10-29-2003, 11:29 PM
What is the best way to make an E-mag w/ LX softer on paint?

I had the stock spring in there, and it chopped. I moved to the longest spring and it is very gentle.

The only reason I bring this up is that if the longest spring will always be the most gentle on paint, why doesn't EVERYONE use it? I've seen in various threads people commenting on how it can be hard to set up a LX w/ longest spring and it can cause problems. What issues can I come to expect from using the longest spring? Would it be better to use red/medium one even though it won't be as gentle?

pointm@n
10-30-2003, 08:23 AM
from what i've read you have a greater chance of bolt stick using the longer spring.

JadedT
10-30-2003, 08:38 AM
You'll be less efficient on air, tend to experience bolt stick more often unless you are generous with lube (couple of drops required per CASE, not per day) and you will have to play with a higher velocity. Meaning if you play indoors and they required 250fps chrono's, you'll have to switch out springs because turning down your velocity will probably cause your mag not to fire. I tend to use the cut spring in all my mags. Happy medium.

Good luck to you, since everyone has slightly different setups and opinions.

J.

athomas
10-30-2003, 09:44 AM
A different barrel setup combined with various paint types can lead to many mags having different chamber pressures to achieve the same velocity.

A mag that utilizes all the "right" parts and achieves maximum efficiency due to the barrel length and paint to barrel match, will have a lower chamber pressure and it may not be high enough to consistently push the bolt against the longest spring.

If your mag is able to chop using the short spring, then your mag may be using a higher chamber pressure to achieve the desired velocity. Therefore, you will probably not have a problem with the longest spring, especially once it gets broken in.

For consumer consistency, the shortest spring is used because it works in all instances and does provide anti-chop capability with most standard paint.

abunkerer
10-31-2003, 01:36 AM
And sometimes the longer spring may cause the bolt to reset, instead of fully cycle, at high rates of fire.
This causes double feeding and ball breaks and all kinds of ham...