PDA

View Full Version : Dye sales rep name at Cup?? Charged me extra by accident...

iLLfLiP69
10-30-2003, 05:00 PM
Hey, i need to know what the name is of one of the sales reps at the Dye booth that was at Cup on Sunday 11/26 between 2:30-4 P.M. He's about 6'2 and like 250 pounds i believe, kinda reminded me of Bob Long only without any facial hair...:D .
Anywayz what happened was that i tried buying the dye Weekender bag with my debit card at first for $75, but i was told that their machine was having problems, so i decided to pay it with cash instead. Then i checked my bank statement today and it said that i got charged $75 from Dye even though i already payed for it in cash. I called Dye about this problem but they said they need to know who the guy was that i bought the bag from because its basically my word against theirs, so i need to find out who this guy is. I know that the other guy working with him was named Gary and he was a little older with a grayish ponytail haircut. Does anyone happen to know the name of the other guy by anychance???

thx

Muzikman
10-30-2003, 05:08 PM
Do you have a paper receipt from when you paid cash? If so, it's not your word against his, it's your paper against nothing. If you do not have a receipt, then I really hope they do you right without a big stink.

iLLfLiP69
10-30-2003, 05:11 PM
nah, unfortunantley they werent giving out receipts for cash and stuff for some reason...

sps16
10-30-2003, 05:20 PM
i hate to say this but then it looks like your SOL

Muzikman
10-30-2003, 05:23 PM
Hmm...I really hope it works out for you, but in the future, get a receipt of ever cash transaction you make. be it with a company or a person. If it's a person make sure it's signed and if it's a company, make sure their information is on it some place.

adam shannon
10-30-2003, 05:25 PM
did you sign a credit card receipt? if not simply call your bank. they will be more than happy to give you a refund, if they balk just say something about switching to a new bank and transfering the balance...that will get them.

you can usually get a lower interest rate by calling anytime and asking also..if they say no tell them your thinking about switching cuz you got an offer from another card with a lower rate...a friend of mine has a 2.9% permanent fixed rate cuz he keeps doing that.

bottom line is that banks value the customer more than any merchant...they will do whatever it takes to keep you and your outstanding balance interest payments.

iLLfLiP69
10-30-2003, 05:46 PM
yea, i was thinking about calling my bank since i didnt sign anything for the purchase. I figure i'll give the customer service guys over at dye a couple of days to get back to me, then i'll call up my bank and tell them to refund my money if worst comes to worst...

thx

11_Mile_TMaster
10-30-2003, 06:01 PM
Well, it depends on the defanition of a "Debit card"
If it was a Debit card, i.e. you had to Enter a PIN number, Entry of the PIN number is considered sufficent authorization.

If it is run Like a Logo Card (I.E. A "Check Card" with a Mastercard Logo), You might have SOME recourse. I do believe a Signature is required for authorization on such transactions still.

I will say this, though. I have seen it happen once, to me at work, where I ran through a customer's card (Using the former method with the PIN), It said no good, So he paid Cash.

Sure enough, Came in next month with a statement that said it was taken off his account from us. Fortunately, We keep very good records, and took care of it. Unfortunately, it seems these guys didn't. :(

In any case, hope I was some help, and good luck dude.

iLLfLiP69
10-30-2003, 08:05 PM
thanks alot for all the info fellas.
Yea i didnt input my pin code or anything, its the kind of debit card that has the Mastercard logo and usually requires a signature, but not all the time.
Anyways, i'll give my bank a call within another day or two...

thx

Halliday
10-30-2003, 09:18 PM
Call the bank and tell them you are contesting the charge. They will help you get the ball rolling and will probally work everything out.

WARPED1
10-31-2003, 12:04 AM
Don't wait, do it ASAP! After too long no one will help you. Call tommorow.

adam shannon
10-31-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by iLLfLiP69

Yea i didnt input my pin code or anything, its the kind of debit card that has the Mastercard logo and usually requires a signature, but not all the time.

thats not true. in order for it to be a valid charge you must either enter a pin code or sign the receipt. no ifs ands or buts! no authorization no charge.

i have a full merchant acct for credit/de*****eck cards. i do internet sales and routinely get screwed by scammers who call and charge back. no matter what proof i have...cv2 #rs, confirmed avs, anything...everytime a scumbag tries to charge back because it was an internet sale they give it to them because i dont have a signed receipt, and it wasnt run thru a pin authorize terminal. period!

for me its the cost of doing internet site sales, for dye they screwed up by not having you sign a receipt. in this case its good they were sloppy cuz they boned you to boot.

no signature and you will get a refund. call your bank tomorrow.

adam shannon
10-31-2003, 12:17 AM
wow, thats cool. "debit" with a slash in between then "check" set off the cuss filter cuz it spelled "bee eye tee see ach" talk about sensitive.

WARPED1
10-31-2003, 12:19 AM
I wondered what you said wrong! I see it now!:p

cphilip
10-31-2003, 09:22 AM
...and futher more a debit card does not have credit protection. Use a FULL credit card whenever possible when you are away from home and things are chaotic.

OfficerGoat
10-31-2003, 10:53 AM
Adam, sounds like you need to switch MSPs to a we bit more internet freindly one. What do you do for digital signature? Remeber that legaly having a persons digital signature is as good as the real deal, you just need to know what to provide rather than a charge slip. If ou are using a prebuilt shoping cart system ask your vendor about it.. I'm sure they will have an answer for you.

So far as how long you have to charge back... its a pretty considerable ammount of time actualy.. so go ahead and give them a day or two, otherwise go ahead and initiate a chargeback.

Thordic
10-31-2003, 11:06 AM
I got piked by CPX at the first shatnerball, they double charged me for paint (said it didn't go through the first time, ran it again).

$320 for $160 worth of paint sucked, and I never got my money back.

shartley
10-31-2003, 11:09 AM
No, you do not need to either sign or use a PIN number for a transaction using a Check Card (With Credit Card Company Logo on it) to be valid. I also have a full Merchants Account and do transactions all the time with it. The simple truth to the matter is that no matter HOW the payment was made (true Credit, or Check Card) if someone complains or claims the use was not authorized they will most always get their money back. This does not just have to do with the transactions being “valid” or not.

And if this was NOT the case, you would not be able to do even standard Credit Card payments via the phone or internet either. Because the same standards could be used as “proof” that the transaction was not “valid” or “authorized”. And you can get a refund even IF there is a signature on the receipt….. A signature for all “practical” purposes is only to help the person doing the transaction verify that the person who handed them the card is really the one who owns it.

If it was truly needed to be a valid transaction, credit card companies and banks offering merchants accounts would not allow online transactions to happen at all.

It is just easier for the Banks and Credit Card Companies to give the money back whenever there is any dispute… then let the merchant deal with getting the product back. And there are ways the merchant can protect themselves from this too… but I will not get into it since it is really not relevant for this thread. It is pretty basic business.

Kevmaster
10-31-2003, 08:48 PM
youre bank SHOULD have a 24-hour phone line... CALL RIGHT NOW...not tomorrow...not sunday....NOW. There ARE time limits and depending on your bank, you may go over!

CALL NOWW

OfficerGoat
10-31-2003, 11:49 PM
Adam and Shart... who do you guys use for your MSP out of curiosity? You guys seem to be getting hosed on Chargebacks. Then again you are both proboly pretty small buisnesses too so that might be part of it. (BTW... I do know a little bit about this stuff... my company procesess around 3-6 trillion CC transactions a year.) I don't personly deal with the MSPs very much .. but I do deal with the FEPs almost daily so I can typicaly get some great advice about who is good to use etc.

shartley
11-01-2003, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by OfficerGoat
Adam and Shart... who do you guys use for your MSP out of curiosity? You guys seem to be getting hosed on Chargebacks. Then again you are both proboly pretty small buisnesses too so that might be part of it. (BTW... I do know a little bit about this stuff... my company procesess around 3-6 trillion CC transactions a year.) I don't personly deal with the MSPs very much .. but I do deal with the FEPs almost daily so I can typicaly get some gareat advice about who is good to use etc.
If I lead anyone to believe I am being hosed by chargebacks I am sorry. That is not the case. I have had a Merchant’s Account for quite a few years and processed extensive phone and internet orders and have received NO chargebacks. That’s right, not a single one.

No, I am not being hosed at all.

I think maybe the reason some get hosed and may have chargeback problems is their customer/client base? Some industries or services may be more prone to this type of thing than others (goes without saying… but hey, once said, it IS said… LOL). I have been very careful with both my services and products, and have never even had a payment dispute nor service/product dispute.

Thank you for the concern, but my MSP is doing just fine. You know the saying... if it ain't broke... don't fix it. ;)

OfficerGoat
11-01-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by shartley

Thank you for the concern, but my MSP is doing just fine. You know the saying... if it ain't broke... don't fix it. ;)

No arguments from me. :)

iLLfLiP69
11-01-2003, 12:40 PM
thanks for all the feedback fellas, gonna call my bank today...

FutureMagOwner
11-01-2003, 01:44 PM
just a thought but shouldnt dye know who is working their booths?

iLLfLiP69
11-01-2003, 03:04 PM
yea, i know u would think they would know who was working their booths...
plus i just called my bank and they said that they personally cannot refund my money since the transaction already went through on Tuesday, and that i have to get Dye themselves to refund it.Thats wierd though since i didnt sign or input my pin code anything, i dont know how that transaction even went through in the first place. So now i guess i'm stuck with trying to gettin Dye to refund my money...

adam shannon
11-01-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by iLLfLiP69

plus i just called my bank and they said that they personally cannot refund my money since the transaction already went through on Tuesday, and that i have to get Dye themselves to refund it.Thats wierd though since i didnt sign or input my pin code anything, i dont know how that transaction even went through in the first place. So now i guess i'm stuck with trying to gettin Dye to refund my money...

that is the initial blow off. if you are persistant you will get it back. like i said before tell them you didnt ign anything and that you will be cancelling your card and moving the balance to a new card. they will kiss your butt after that.

cphilip
11-01-2003, 06:52 PM
Did you somehow miss the fact he used a Debit card? Thats an automatic bank withdrawal from his bank account. Not a credit that remains unpaid. His money is gone out of his account. He has no leverage.

WARPED1
11-01-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by cphilip
Did you somehow miss the fact he used a Debit card? Thats an automatic bank withdrawal from his bank account. Not a credit that remains unpaid. His money is gone out of his account. He has no leverage. Yup. cphil is correct.

Toxic Dave
11-01-2003, 07:04 PM
Dye had a ton of people working in their booth, probably 25 different guys/ gals, so it's hard to pinpoint the person. Heck we had 5 people at our booth and things get banged up sometimes.

You were a victim of wireless credit card machines, my guess is for you to contact Gary at Dye, since he's in charge of promotional events and should be able to straghten it out for ya.

dave

iLLfLiP69
11-01-2003, 11:01 PM
yea, i left 2 messages on daves voicemail already and one at the customer service guy's voicemail on mon. and tues., but i havent gotten any responses yet though...

FutureMagOwner
11-02-2003, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Toxic Dave
Dye had a ton of people working in their booth, probably 25 different guys/ gals, so it's hard to pinpoint the person. Heck we had 5 people at our booth and things get banged up sometimes.

well i sure would hope dye would know who is running their monetary transactions and to be able to atleast recognize anyone under the description he described

Kevmaster
11-02-2003, 02:38 PM
I know my bank states on my Visa/Debit Card (Check Card) that if i report within 72 hours of receiving my statement, i can initiate action to get my $$$ back from a purchase.

I would go down to the bank, and raise hell until they give you at least a form to start the process. They should be more than willing to help. I know I can even do it over the phone without talking to a person

iLLfLiP69
11-02-2003, 05:26 PM
yea, i'm gonna swing by the bank tommorow and talk to someone about all this, hopefully they'll be able to be more help then the people on the phone and stuff...

cphilip
11-02-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Kevmaster
I know my bank states on my Visa/Debit Card (Check Card) that if i report within 72 hours of receiving my statement, i can initiate action to get my $$$ back from a purchase.

That would be highly unusual. Visa itself offers only Fraud protection on a debit card. This incident that he describes is not a fraudulent charge. It's an erroneous charge. It's between him and the vendor. And without something to disprove the charge it would not be reversed.

Most "Credit Cards" (not check cards) have purchase protection where a claim could be filed. Debit cards do not include that service.

However I will say that banks can offer Visa Cards and NOT include all those coverages. And I suppose they could individualy include MORE. But I know of none that do. In most cases a Debit Card has only fraud (or lost and used Fraudulently) protection. Not "buyers" loss protection.

So his best recourse is to prove to the seller he paid for it and was overcharged. Thats realy about the only way to recover a debit card overage.

Kevmaster
11-02-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by cphilip

That would be highly unusual. Visa itself offers only Fraud protection on a debit card. This incident that he describes is not a fraudulent charge. It's an erroneous charge. It's between him and the vendor. And without something to disprove the charge it would not be reversed.

correct. I dont know how hard it is to get the $$$ back, but you can start action within 72 hours.