PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Compounds.

luke
11-02-2003, 09:03 PM
Anyone know where to get rubber compounds online. I’m doing some proto type work for Mag grips; I’ve never used the stuff so I don’t know where to start.

luke
11-02-2003, 09:33 PM
I just did a search, I guess I should have ask what kind of rubber is used for grips. I'm looking for something similar to what DYE uses.

I need something I can use for mold injecting...

Any ideas??

ZyperioN
11-02-2003, 10:04 PM
a seemingly generic answer but i would check ebay for injection molding equiptment, the stuff isnt exactly cheap (depending on what types you want) so it is probably best to try and get a used one, especially since it seems like you have no experience with it. my uncle does injection molding for a company so ill ask him if he knows what suppliers his company uses.

luke
11-03-2003, 08:52 AM
VERY COOL! Thanks.

Yea this is new to me. Right now the ideas and molds are the easy part, the process and materials will take some reasearch.

E-Bay is an exelent place to start.

shartley
11-04-2003, 03:10 PM
Try a company called Smooth-On

http://www.smooth-on.com/

Chances are if they don't have it... you don't need it.

Have fun. I have quite a bit of their products sitting in my shop.

luke
11-05-2003, 09:35 AM
Cool, thanks Sam.

It looks like good place to get started. I haven't found anything else that was much help, looks like a good place for information and supplies.

Any ideas in regard to the injection process/equipment? Everything I've found so far is for large operations.

(will be sending you a PM shortly)

shartley
11-05-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by luke
Cool, thanks Sam.

It looks like good place to get started. I haven't found anything else that was much help, looks like a good place for information and supplies.

Any ideas in regard to the injection process/equipment? Everything I've found so far is for large operations.

(will be sending you a PM shortly)
Yes, that is what you will run into a lot. Most places sell products for larger operations, or offer information specifically for larger operations. Much of what I have had to do is take a little from the “hobby” market, and a little from the “industrial” market, and make a compromise and use a little “Yankee Ingenuity”. Adapt and overcome!