PDA

View Full Version : Paintball Is Growing

Badbear
11-02-2003, 09:37 PM
I belive that paintball just keeps getting better, and soon to be the #1 sport in the world. Just look at the picture, we rely on really advanced technology unlike any other sport. And all we want is just to keep getting better and better. Paintball has never been this great, we even have our own fasion, look at the way a paitball player would dress 13 yrs ago nothing like what we have now and our electronic markers.I just thought I had to say this because Paintball is just such a great sport that brings people together. I am proud to be a Paintball Player.

ß?µ£ §mµ®ƒ
11-02-2003, 09:53 PM
Holla to that

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
11-02-2003, 09:54 PM
paintball will never be the number one sport maybe the number one extreme sport, but it will never surpass any of the mainstream sports.

KornKamp02
11-02-2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
paintball will never be the number one sport maybe the number one extreme sport, but it will never surpass any of the mainstream sports. ditto

FooTemps
11-02-2003, 09:57 PM
Yeah, Ditto to the mainstream/extreme thing.

BUT, yeah #1 extreme fo sho!

p8ntballsnowman
11-02-2003, 10:47 PM
I dont see really how paintball is an extreme sport. I mean look at other extreme sports, skateboarding, vert biking, freestyle moto x just to name a few. In paintball we run around and shoot people, and the worst that happens is a couple of nasty welts or gashes. In any of those above sports, most people have broken bones, fractures, concussion, and other serious injury.

Taken from dictionary.com
extreme: Most remote in any direction; outermost or farthest: the extreme edge of the field.
Being in or attaining the greatest or highest degree; very intense: extreme pleasure; extreme pain.
Extending far beyond the norm: an extreme conservative. See Synonyms at excessive.
Of the greatest severity; drastic: took extreme measures to conserve fuel.
Sports.
Very dangerous or difficult: extreme rafting.
Participating or tending to participate in a very dangerous or difficult sport: an extreme skier.
Archaic. Final; last.

Very intesne, extreme pain, very dangerous. All these words are just not paintball, they are for extreme sports. And paintball wont ever surpass mainstream sports, but i do hope that it climbs up their in the rankings pretty high. Just my opinion.

WARPED1
11-02-2003, 11:30 PM
I started playing 13 years ago. PB is a great game that has come a long way, only able to grow more!

sneakyhacker420
11-02-2003, 11:37 PM
did you just realize that?? :confused: :eek:

e mag
11-02-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Badbear
we rely on really advanced technology unlike any other sport.
Which is why it will never be number one. Soccer is the most popular because all you need is a ball and a field to play, not hundreds of dollars worth of equipment. Most of the world would never be able to afford paintball.

KornKamp02
11-02-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by e mag
Most of the world would never be able to afford paintball. LOL i can't afford paintball!

robertjuric
11-02-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by p8ntballsnowman

extreme: Most remote in any direction; outermost or farthest: the extreme edge of the field.
Being in or attaining the greatest or highest degree; very intense: extreme pleasure; extreme pain.
Extending far beyond the norm: an extreme conservative. See Synonyms at excessive.
Sports.
Participating or tending to participate in a very dangerous or difficult sport: an extreme skier.
Archaic. Final; last.

Most remote in any direction; outermost or farthest: the extreme edge of the field.
-Paintball is out on its own, seperate from almost all other sports.

-Intense, extreme pain and pleasure...for those who take the game serious, this is very true.

Extending far beyond the norm: an extreme conservative.
-We are one of a kind.

Sounds like an extreme sport to me. I really dont care what you call it, all I know is I love to play, and thats all that matters.

MrWallen
11-03-2003, 04:41 AM
Even if we become that popular, we still might not get very mainstream.

Sure, soccer is the number one sport, but do you know who holds the number two spot?

Badmitten(sp?)

See, can't even spell it right and it's second most popular sport in world.

Also, while PB may be 'extreme' by definition, it doesn't really fit in with the other extreme sports. We have teams, with all players on a field, with ways to score points that aren't determined by judges, and we don't do tricks (well, I guess bunkering is a trick).

And, as stated earlier, we don't break all our bones to play.

So, I consider PB to be a kind of hybrid sport, somewhere between the extreme and the norm, with a hefty bit of technology thrown into the mix. I see it as a next-gen sport, one that'll hopefully eventually get the coverage it gets.

Wrathchild
11-03-2003, 06:06 AM
w00t Rob. I agree fully.

e mag
11-03-2003, 06:20 AM
I thought field hockey was number two? Never had that confirmed by a reliable source though.

breg
11-03-2003, 06:36 AM
Paintball becomming the number 1 sport? That would be nice, but there are too many limiting factors in that.

1. Location. You can't really run up and down you street playing paint ball, like you can whit a foot ball.

2. Cost. A foot ball is a lot cheaper than a paintball gun, paint, mask, tank, hoses, barrels, etc.

3. Image. People aren't running around "shooting" each other with "guns" in other sports.

Those are all I can think of.

FreakBaller12
11-03-2003, 07:07 AM
just wait and see what happens you guys

Badbear
11-03-2003, 11:03 AM
Does anybody have the Official list of Extreme sports, Are we even in it?

zak406
11-03-2003, 01:11 PM
I dont see really how paintball is an extreme sport. I mean look at other extreme sports, skateboarding, vert biking, freestyle moto x just to name a few. In paintball we run around and shoot people, and the worst that happens is a couple of nasty welts or gashes. In any of those above sports, most people have broken bones, fractures, concussion, and other serious injury.

Sports.
Archaic. Final; last.

Very intesne, extreme pain, very dangerous. All these words are just not paintball, they are for extreme sports. And paintball wont ever surpass mainstream sports, but i do hope that it climbs up their in the rankings pretty high. Just my opinion. paintball alike with airsoft will just never be the number one sport i mean no way it could beat out icehockey or football or even tho i hate soccer it will never surpase it eather

Miscue
11-03-2003, 05:10 PM
I thought that "Extreme" sports do not involve teams... I cannot think of one that has teams.

I don't see anything 'extreme' about paintball... we're not really going out there risking injury or something. With the Extreme sports I can think of... you mess up, and you can bust your head or break your neck or something... there is a large potential for injury if you mess up. In paintball... you mess up and a gelatin ball hits you. Or... maybe you'll twist your ankle. :p

Injuries happen, but I don't think PB is a sport that stands out as one that is prone to injuries.

Konigballer
11-03-2003, 05:31 PM
there is nothing extreme about painball. Almost all professional athletes in "extreme sports" train intensely and are usually in good shape to be able to compete in fairly high risk, acrobatic (hence "etreme"-sports) tricks in things like skateboarding, surfing, bmx, snowboarding etc...Take one look at the average line up of painball players and you'll realize that there aint much "extreme" about paintball. Its pretty safe. The only thing I ever worry about is my airsystem exploding and thats just cause its by my face. Trying to classify it with etreme sports is just a marketing attempt because its such an oddball game. How do you classify something that is basically an advanced game of "tag"? I guess calling paintball an "etreme sport" was about as good as they could come up with.

Paintball becoming the biggest sport in the world? Thats never going to happen because of many of the points others have listed. How naive are you:rolleyes:

afrankart
11-03-2003, 05:35 PM
we rely on really advanced technology unlike any other sport.

Just look at auto racing. I think they have us out-engineered as far as technology and equipment goes.

Rope a Dope
11-03-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
paintball will never be the number one sport maybe the number one extreme sport, but it will never surpass any of the mainstream sports.

Never say never.

nastymag
11-03-2003, 05:53 PM
Never!....

we can keep dreaming and hoping ... but paintball will never become the number one sport, for many reason people have stated abouve ... i dont see how you can see the fact that we really heavly on technology as somthing that will make us into the number one sport ? .. in fact it just keeps the game expensive, we have to keep upgrading our gear to compete.

nothing like kicking a nice soccer balla round whenever you want...we wont ever be able to do that with paintball ...EVER!

zak406
11-03-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by afrankart

Just look at auto racing. I think they have us out-engineered as far as technology and equipment goes. i just cant see it i mean it depends im sure most of us play for fun not for copetitive i dotn see many of us goin out every day of the week in copetitive

afrankart
11-03-2003, 06:10 PM
I wasn't saying anything about competetive play, I was just stating that as far as sports go, even the professional ones, paintball has some great technology, but it is far from being the pinnochle of sporting technology.

p8ntballsnowman
11-03-2003, 08:24 PM
Im not sure how u are saying that money is an issue about why it cant become 1#(most of the other issues are why). I mean look at Nascar. The cars cost a heck of a lot (Im estimating 100,000$ at least even though im probly totally wrong. Then u replace the tires and other stuff that I dont know about every time. Im pretty sure the tires arent cheap, then you have to pay the pit crew and such. The cars dont always stay in one piece either. Plus gas is there every time you go. Probly a bunch of other costs too. And this is a major sport.

Lets look at paintball. We have the gun(the highest legal gun I know is 1800 I believe, I'll just say 2000). Throw on the top of the line upgrades and nitro tank, I'll just round it up to 1000$. Buy all the fancy gear, gloves, pods, I'll just say 500$. 3500$ compared to really expensive car.

Now each day that u play, need to buy paint. The highest price i have ever seen is 100 a case. Say your a backman and you somehow shoot 10 cases a day. 1000$ a day max.

And thats for tournaments, For practice, you get case probly for around 50$ for good practice paint. And you dont ever shoot 10 cases a day for practice. The absolute max about is 1000$ a day for tournaments and about 500$ a day for practing.

3500 for gear+1000$ a day in cost equals about 94 days of tournament playing including a couple thousand extra in case your gun breaks down for every nascar car that you buy for 100,000. Id also suspect the price is much higher for a nice car, im absolutely clueless.

Another example I think would be horse racing. I belive that some people pay about 500,000 for a horse. Even football. Nice custom pads are very very expensive. All the training equipment is a heck of a lot too. Money is definetly not an issue holding this great sport back

f3rr3+
11-03-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Miscue
I thought that "Extreme" sports do not involve teams... I cannot think of one that has teams.

I don't see anything 'extreme' about paintball... we're not really going out there risking injury or something. With the Extreme sports I can think of... you mess up, and you can bust your head or break your neck or something... there is a large potential for injury if you mess up. In paintball... you mess up and a gelatin ball hits you. Or... maybe you'll twist your ankle. :p

Injuries happen, but I don't think PB is a sport that stands out as one that is prone to injuries.

I think your the one who brought up the pictures about what can happen to your "boys"... (sry if im wrong) thats a risk and a half :P at least imho

zak406
11-03-2003, 08:39 PM
Im not sure how u are saying that money is an issue about why it cant become 1#(most of the other issues are why). I mean look at Nascar. The cars cost a heck of a lot (Im estimating 100,000$ at least even though im probly totally wrong. Then u replace the tires and other stuff that I dont know about every time. Im pretty sure the tires arent cheap, then you have to pay the pit crew and such. The cars dont always stay in one piece either. Plus gas is there every time you go. Probly a bunch of other costs too. And this is a major sport.

Lets look at paintball. We have the gun(the highest legal gun I know is 1800 I believe, I'll just say 2000). Throw on the top of the line upgrades and nitro tank, I'll just round it up to 1000$. Buy all the fancy gear, gloves, pods, I'll just say 500$. 3500$ compared to really expensive car.

Now each day that u play, need to buy paint. The highest price i have ever seen is 100 a case. Say your a backman and you somehow shoot 10 cases a day. 1000$ a day max.

And thats for tournaments, For practice, you get case probly for around 50$ for good practice paint. And you dont ever shoot 10 cases a day for practice. The absolute max about is 1000$ a day for tournaments and about 500$ a day for practing.

3500 for gear+1000$ a day in cost equals about 94 days of tournament playing including a couple thousand extra in case your gun breaks down for every nascar car that you buy for 100,000. Id also suspect the price is much higher for a nice car, im absolutely clueless.

Another example I think would be horse racing. I belive that some people pay about 500,000 for a horse. Even football. Nice custom pads are very very expensive. All the training equipment is a heck of a lot too. Money is definetly not an issue holding this great sport back it is i mean i can for a fact go play airsoft for top price 1000 bucks i dont konw bout u but just say u dont play paintball or airsoft wat are u goin to go with cheaper or more expensive i play ice hockey i mean it averages i herd for one team just to play is 10,000 dollars and i know i spent over 2000 on pads and all that is restriction hockey like nhl has 22 players i believe and my team has 11 plus customizing so ¿

afrankart
11-03-2003, 09:00 PM
That may just be the longest run-on sentence I have ever read.:eek:

zak406
11-03-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by afrankart
That may just be the longest run-on sentence I have ever read.:eek: and to think im gettin a c in english :eek: ;)

JKR
11-03-2003, 11:07 PM
Paintball has never been this great, we even have our own fasion, look at the way a paitball player would dress 13 yrs ago nothing like what we have now and our electronic markers.

I still dress like it is 13 years ago. Camo is where it is at, my man! :D

Fashion? Sorry, but "paintball fashion" is a somewhere between motocross gear and the Barnum and Bailey clown squad.

JKR

C_22
11-03-2003, 11:18 PM
ROFL!!!!

Woodsmen
11-03-2003, 11:48 PM
I always considered extreme sports to be the sports that are played more for the thrills and adrenaline rush, The sports that people think you have to be some crazy or stupid to play, I dont know bout yall but Ive felt the rush on more then one occasion on the feild.

PyRo
11-04-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Miscue

Didn't you break your leg a while ago playing? :)

And Badmitten is fun.

Konigballer
11-04-2003, 12:33 AM
That zak kid has GOT to learn how to type...I'm not even trying to be a grammar freak, its just that bad:).......:(

MrWallen
11-04-2003, 03:24 AM
Extreme sports do have teams, they just don't all compete at once, esp "against" another team.

zak406
11-04-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Konigballer
That zak kid has GOT to learn how to type...I'm not even trying to be a grammar freak, its just that bad:)....( lol i told u that i type bad i try not to mut uknow

spyxtra
11-08-2003, 02:54 PM
yea i dont think paintball will ever become a top mainsteam sport.

Soccer is the most popular because all you need is a ball and a field to play, not hundreds of dollars worth of equipment. Most of the world would never be able to afford paintball.
exactly once u go out and spend $1000 on a gun then u have to buy everything else that goes witht the gun. then u have to buy paint week after week after week for aslong as u play.

Mango
11-08-2003, 03:17 PM
I have to jump in here. To me, paintball is as "extreme" a sport as you can get. I dont know if you are like me, but I'm addicted to the rush of being behind a sup air bunker, while it's getting pounded by 100's of paintballs and hearing that distinctive popping sound that paintballs make as they hit the vinyl, the dirt around my feet getting kicked up, paint misting everywhere while my heart is pounding trying to figure out what my next move will be while I communicate to my teammates...

These things, no other sport offers. Also, in any other sport, the player does not have to worry about as many things at one time. Only in paintball does a player: calculate his/her move, judge whether it's feasable to take out a target, aim, shoot, keep track of paint, listen for any oncoming players, communicate to his/her team, plan an alternate tactic, etc. The list goes on. These things we do subliminaly and ONLY does a paintball player do so much at once. Judging it against vert bike or skating or whatever is not fair because...they just do not compare! Just my $.02 :D

Creative Mayhem
11-08-2003, 07:45 PM
Well said Mango... well said.