PDA

View Full Version : time for a new graphics card

hardr0ck68
11-04-2003, 01:12 AM
yeah right now im looking at
BFG Asylum Ti4200SE 128MB AGP8X (invidia)
found here
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=602816&sku=TC3G-1008

what do you all think, i want a quality card for less than or right about $100 (less than is better, but i can deal, this one is $90 or so).

i have heard the ATI cards of equal cost tend to "bog down" but this sounds like the same old my gun shoots father explination. Any info would be awsome!! thanks

MantisMag
11-04-2003, 12:16 PM
that's ollllllllld. why not get a directx 9 capable card? you could get an ati radeon 9600 for $120. and whoever tells you that ati cards bog down has been living under a rock for the past two years. all the 9000 series radeons have been destroying nvidia. nividia has actually been playing catchup to ati.

Shawn at suny oswego
11-04-2003, 12:46 PM
can you shoot me a link to where i can find one for 120?

i would prefer to spend money shooting people in a more real fake way (paintball) than in my computer...so yeah cheap is good for me :p

but if for like $30 more will make a big differance im game...

i know little to nothing about this stuff so any info would be nice....

MantisMag
11-04-2003, 02:58 PM
www.newegg.com
great service from these people. really fast turn around time. i ordered an entire computer's worth of parts on a weekend and got it by the following thursday. 3 huge boxes. it was pretty cool coming home and seeing those sitting in the living room.

nvidia's fx line has been flaky at best. they seem to require really weird code in order to run fast. ati just uses default directx 9. so game developer's don't have to work to make a game run well on ati cards. valve said they had to spend an obscene amount of time optimizing for nvidia. i think it was 10x as long as for ati. nvidia's AA and AF filtering are also suspect. they don't work as well as ati's and they're slower. for some reason 2x is slower than 4x. and sometimes it won't work at all at higher resolutions. if you want to get the ti4xxx those are great. just dated. but i'd stay away from the fx line. if you want the latest effects you need directx 9. right now i wouldn't even consider getting an nvidia card for that. ati's really pulled things around. although their latest drivers are a real mess. *sigh* they were doing so well too.

hardr0ck68
11-04-2003, 04:19 PM
so this card is the better buy?

CONNECT3D ATI RADEON 9600 128MB DDR DVI+TV RETAIL
Specifications:
Chipset:ATI RADEON 9600
Memory: 128MB DDR RAM
Bus:AGP 8X

their are 3 or 4 other cards that are listed using the came chipset, is their any real differance?? I am so confused.....when i was last into comp games top of the line was a soundblaster card and one gig hard drive, much simpler times

*edited for spelling*

MantisMag
11-04-2003, 06:20 PM
any of the the 9600s is better than getting the ti4200. 9600 < 9600pro < 9600xt. get whichever you can afford.