PDA

View Full Version : What can help me get a scholarship??

robertjuric
11-09-2003, 12:21 AM
Ok Im a Junior this year. Its already to late for me to sign up for any clubs or stuff like that, I play football and have a job.

I would really like to get an AF ROTC Scholarship, or even better yet get into the AF Academy.

Only thing Im kind of worried about is extracurricular/leadership stuff. What can I do to help this? Just join a lot of clubs next year or what?

Miscue
11-09-2003, 12:29 AM
Well, just apply to everything you can. Do this NOW... April is too late... and stuff closes earlier than that.

I didn't apply for any scholarships, paid for it all myself... and graduated without debt. It would have been easier with a scholarship... but during that time in my life in high school... I just didn't care. I barely got my app in time for entrance. Point being, scholarships are great to have if you want to pursue them... but you're not necessarily in too bad shape w/o them depending on cost of your school and stuff. Oh yeah, and no scholarship is too small... even $100 can be very helpful. That's $100 you don't have to come up with.

Python14
11-09-2003, 12:39 AM
The easiest way to get a scholarship is either be a minority, or be an awsome athelete. otherwise, you have to work your tail off to get one.

robertjuric
11-09-2003, 12:45 AM
Ya Im going to apply to a lot of grants and stuff like that.

When getting a scholarship, do I apply, then when I get it pick the college that Im going to use it at?

gimp
11-09-2003, 01:12 AM
Yeah. If your just a plain white boy like me, then good luck. You actually have to do well in school, and be in all sorts of extracurricular activities. Most scolarships are pretty much just checks. You get the scolarship, go to the school of your choice, then give them the cash. Thats the impression I got.

PyRo
11-09-2003, 03:27 PM
I ended up getting one because I had like no money at all, and apparently they loved the essay I wrote for them. Its a PITA though, twice a year I need to send them my grades, a big letter about how i'm doing and thanking them (they ask for a thank you letter :confused:, a copy of my parents tax return every year, and a whole bunch of other stuff. Its a pain but its $1200 a year.
You can go to your guidance office and ask what is out there, thats how I found the one I end up with. If you are determined enough, a decent student, and a good writter you can probably find one.

robertjuric
11-09-2003, 04:26 PM
thats great, I suck at writing essays(but my moms great at it!!)

BTW, I love that sig pic.

PyRo
11-09-2003, 06:12 PM
I'm sure your mom would write you an essay to save a couple grand on your college :)

AutomagRT1483
11-09-2003, 11:06 PM
Apply for everything...even cheerleading!:D

Fastkid
11-10-2003, 10:14 PM
My friend just won state for cross country... lucky.... he probably will get in any college he wants

Kevmaster
11-11-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Fastkid
My friend just won state for cross country... lucky.... he probably will get in any college he wants

get in, perhaps...get a scholarship...no chance. Men's sports (other than basketball and football and a half the soccer sometimes) teams dont get scholarships: title 9.

PyRo
11-11-2003, 09:31 PM
My friend went to the Naval academy, thats a nice scholarship :)
He quit though.

gangstagrey
11-11-2003, 09:36 PM
if your a minority.. that will raise your chances... seriously...

joeyjoe367
11-12-2003, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by gangstagrey
if your a minority.. that will raise your chances... seriously...

NOT TRUE!

I'm Asian. I'm a smaller minority than blacks or hispanics, however due to the 418% over-representation of asians in colleges, It doesn't do SQUAT for me.

Remember, when people say "Minority" for scholarships, for the most part, they mean blacks, hispanics, and native americans. Asian don't cut it here.

Kevmaster
11-12-2003, 11:07 AM
quite true JJ...quite true

68Classic
11-12-2003, 06:17 PM
Well Im a sophomore and my guidance counselor says that colleges look for athleticisim, good grades, and a lot of volunterring. So probably play a varsity sport, get on honor roll, and join clubs that go to soup kitchens and stuff like that.

tony3
11-12-2003, 06:38 PM
Well, my dads is a Vice Chancellor at University of Illinois Chicago, so yeah, I got the hook ups.

bratch
11-12-2003, 06:59 PM
1. Decide your major before going to school if at all possible
2. ACT/SAT scores
3. Well rounded
4. Apply apply apply

I have done exceptionally well in the financial aid department due to these four things. Not sure in all states but OK has a scholarship based solely on ACT/SAT performance that is a full ride to any state school. It took me 7 tries but i met the requirement. Check into that with your state department of education or a counselor. Upon having decided my major before starting I was able to apply for my major only scholarships. Another big advantage. Being a complete book worm doesn't look too impressive neither does being a total jock unless you are a stud... Apply to anything and everything you can use the internet searches and talk to your counselors.

PyRo
11-12-2003, 07:04 PM
Wow, I got like 6k in grants from the state for being poor, 1200 a year from a scholarship, like another 6k in low interest state loans and pay about 2k a year in cash. So i'm comming out with a debt of about 24k, for a state school.

bratch
11-12-2003, 07:19 PM
Seems like an expensive state school. Mine runs about 2g a semester for tuition and fees.

robertjuric
11-12-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by bratch
1. Decide your major before going to school if at all possible
2. ACT/SAT scores
3. Well rounded
4. Apply apply apply

I have done exceptionally well in the financial aid department due to these four things. Not sure in all states but OK has a scholarship based solely on ACT/SAT performance that is a full ride to any state school. It took me 7 tries but i met the requirement. Check into that with your state department of education or a counselor. Upon having decided my major before starting I was able to apply for my major only scholarships. Another big advantage. Being a complete book worm doesn't look too impressive neither does being a total jock unless you are a stud... Apply to anything and everything you can use the internet searches and talk to your counselors.

1. Electrical/Electronics Engineering
2. 19 ACT(as a sophmore, Im retaking them)
3. Ive got a job, play varsity football, and am going to be joining the National Guard in a few months.
4. havent started yet

bratch
11-13-2003, 01:15 AM
Sounds like your in decent shape. I would reccomend an ACT prep course I used a KAPLAN cd that was very helpful I also attended a class. They were both worth the time and money. Thats all I can think of come August be ready to hit the applications it's almost like a second english class with all the essays. Use your resources to your full benefit have your english teacher proof read all your essays and have someone help you prepare for any interveiw you get.

Does the guard not cover your school?

robertjuric
11-13-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by bratch
Does the guard not cover your school?

What do you mean??