PDA

View Full Version : Who is in a Fraternity?

gimp
11-09-2003, 01:29 AM
Just curious. Maybe someone here is one of my brothers.

I'm a Brother of the Beta Psi chapter of Alpha Sigma Phi at RPI, and I'm damn proud of it!

Dayspring
11-09-2003, 01:36 AM
Phi Sigma Kappa (http://http://www.fduphisig.com/) here. Damn Proud!

Ironmag
11-09-2003, 03:07 AM
I'm in the Alpha Iota Chapter of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia, a National Men's Music Fraternity. It's pretty cool and some famous people have been in it, such as John Phillip Sousa, Andy Griffith, Fred Rogers (of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood), Count Basie and lots of other musicians orver the past century.

jdev
11-09-2003, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by Dayspring
Phi Sigma Kappa (http://http://www.fduphisig.com/) here. Damn Proud!

i hear those phi sigma kappa guys are real morons..

way to link nick :)

:p

1stdeadeye
11-09-2003, 08:14 AM
Kappa Sigma Rules!!!!!!!!!! :D

Fred
11-09-2003, 05:50 PM
this is the start of hell week for my fellow associate members and I...

we're trying hard to join Phi Kappa Theta... Omega chapter...

a certain Wyn around here is a notable alumnus of that chapter... :D just don't call him "Sir!"

---Fred

KornKamp02
11-09-2003, 07:55 PM
I've always wanted to know what a fraternity is and why they have greek (i think) names. So, what exactly is a fraternity and why do they have greek names?

Sooky
11-09-2003, 08:05 PM
No offense to anyone in one, but I don't understand the allure of joining a fraternity. My university had all these posters and signs up to join such and such fraternity, and all they seem to offer is parties, "Bzzr" and that the guys in their particular fraternity were "bigger" than the others.
I've heard that those in a fraternity have higher averages than those who don't, but I don't believe it. I could understand it to make friends and connections for employment/contacts in the future, but I'd rather spend my time studying.

FalconGuy016
11-09-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by KornKamp02
I've always wanted to know what a fraternity is and why they have greek (i think) names. So, what exactly is a fraternity and why do they have greek names?

I'd like to know about fraternities also.

Dayspring
11-09-2003, 08:55 PM
It's really different for each. Yes. They do have the reputation for the parties and what not. But that depends on the school and their rules. Most organizations do charity work and believe it or not, their grades do have to stay at a certain level (depending on school). So study time is encouraged.

As for why people do it? Depends. I did it b/c all of my friends were in and it was just the next step. I am now connected to all the brothers at my school and at schools around the country. It's actually kind of cool in that I may be at the mall or at a paintball tourney somewhere and have somebody come up and introduce themself as a Phi Sig.

Think of it in AO terms. You've got a huge organization of people from around the country. YOu may not know them personally, but you can make friends easy b/c you have a common trait/interest/background. In the case of fraternities, you have their traditions. My particular group can date back to 1873. Others even farther back.

Collegeboy
11-09-2003, 09:50 PM
Just to provide the other side, from a person who has been asked to pledge many times, and turned down each one.

The Greek system at my school is probably the biggest piece of crap I have ever seen.

First of all, the frat system here is full of nothing more then racist who would not allow a black to join if it depending on life or death. They run the school throw the SGA and fixes the election every year. Last year the school found the names of over 1000 students on a sorority leader’s computer, 90% of those people had complained before that they were not allowed to vote because it said they had already voted, when they did not. The listed included names and social security numbers (a federal offence). This list proves that the system is guilty of 1800 counts of federal felonies. Nothing happened.

The Greek system is the "voice" of the students here, and they constantly miss interpret what the students what, and goes with what the schools want (hence the school over looking federal felonies)

There are way too many to name.

But this is not every Greek system, on the ones at University of Alabama. In fact, if I was at another school I might join one, but not here.

I am wondering, what is the opinion of the UA Greek system by many of the other Greek organization, if you have one.

Automaggin2
11-09-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Collegeboy
Just to provide the other side, from a person who has been asked to pledge many times, and turned down each one.

The Greek system at my school is probably the biggest piece of crap I have ever seen.

First of all, the frat system here is full of nothing more then racist who would not allow a black to join if it depending on life or death. They run the school throw the SGA and fixes the election every year. Last year the school found the names of over 1000 students on a sorority leader’s computer, 90% of those people had complained before that they were not allowed to vote because it said they had already voted, when they did not. The listed included names and social security numbers (a federal offence). This list proves that the system is guilty of 1800 counts of federal felonies. Nothing happened.

The Greek system is the "voice" of the students here, and they constantly miss interpret what the students what, and goes with what the schools want (hence the school over looking federal felonies)

There are way too many to name.

But this is not every Greek system, on the ones at University of Alabama. In fact, if I was at another school I might join one, but not here.

I am wondering, what is the opinion of the UA Greek system by many of the other Greek organization, if you have one.

Do you ever shut up? Seriously

I know someone who is a Sigma Chi, hes a senior, he keeps telling me to join when i got ot school. He gets alot of job offereings from being in a frat. They have hookups through to past members and such.

Collegeboy
11-09-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Automaggin2

Do you ever shut up? Seriously

I know someone who is a Sigma Chi, hes a senior, he keeps telling me to join when i got ot school. He gets alot of job offereings from being in a frat. They have hookups through to past members and such.

Do you?

It was asked about information on fraternities. I thought that some opinions from those outside would be needed for someone to make a good decision.

Dayspring
11-10-2003, 12:29 AM
What people don't realize is that the greek system is actually smaller than most think.

The only reason it looks as big as it does is b/c they are out in the "public eye" moreso than the independents.

Cliffio
11-10-2003, 03:12 AM
its a fraternity not a frat

you don't call your country a ****

best time of my life, never had a closer group of friends.

Sigma Nu
http://www.ksu.edu/sigmanu/img/signu/crest.gif

BobTheCow
11-10-2003, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by FalconGuy016
I'd like to know about fraternities also.
Two words: Old School. :p

Thordic
11-10-2003, 09:31 AM
I was in the Epsilon Psi chapter of Theta Chi. Right now I'm not sure how my membership is holding up.

It's a long story, but the semester after I left the school my chapter got re-org'd and somehow I got suspended, even though I wasn't going to school there at the time. It was just a big mess.

PolishSausage
11-10-2003, 11:49 AM
I'm a founding father of the Tau Kappa Epsilon chapter on Rider University....

Dayspring
11-10-2003, 12:40 PM
Good ol' TKE. We have them at my school. Some stoners/drunks, but the rest were really cool.

Thordic
11-10-2003, 01:35 PM
The tekes at NJIT are a bunch of tools. Or at least, they were when I went there.

Tekes at Montclair State aren't bad though, from those that I've met. Rutgers Newark Tekes weren't bad either.

Those damn NJIT TKE's though... :)

lord1234
11-10-2003, 01:56 PM
tekes are mostly tools
the ones i have met are..no offense met

My roommate is a Phi Sigma Kappan from RPI
and my prior rommates were Phi Kappa Sigma's