PDA

View Full Version : Please - more paintball in paintball coverage

veteranmag
11-11-2003, 11:48 AM
I recently watched "tournament coverage" on cable TV (Outdoor Life Network). What an utter disappointment. The two espisodes I saw had about ten minutes of actual game footage, which was pretty good, and the rest of the time was filled with blatant advertising (manufacturers showing off their new products) and busty female announcers talking about the professional paintball players "lifestyles". Blah.

If these shows would devote more effort to game coverage and less time on eye candy and how players party off the field, it would a lot more interesting.

adam shannon
11-11-2003, 12:02 PM
in order to get people who dont usually play pb to watch they must have the bimbo factor...and those plugs for products are what pays the bills. ballers will watch nothing but start to finish games...like warpigs coverage, no fluff just games, but beer swilling frat boys wont. but those inebriated frat boys will watch anything with bimbos even if they dont even know what paintball is.

graycie
11-11-2003, 01:01 PM
its just like the pb magazines, and all the pages of advertisements. correct me if i'm wrong but i don't think the majority of OLN viewers are female, so they revert to the sex sells method instead of intellect and whit. the same could be said about other networks like mtv, less music more advertising. :rolleyes:

shartley
11-11-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by graycie
its just like the pb magazines, and all the pages of advertisements. correct me if i'm wrong but i don't think the majority of OLN viewers are female, so they revert to the sex sells method instead of intellect and whit. the same could be said about other networks like mtv, less music more advertising. :rolleyes:
I could do with less flesh and more content as well. But I also understand marketing. So… oh well. ;)

But as for OLN… that is about the ONLY channel I can think of that does not NEED flesh to sell its programming. And that is part of why I love it so much. The variety of shows they have, from off road racing, off road quad running, fishing, all kinds of hunting, hiking and camping shows, etc. it is GREAT.

One thing that may be happening with Paintball is that the shows are made for ANY network and so far only OLN has picked them up? I don’t know. Like I said in another post, I have not watched an entire Paintball Show on OLN, so I don’t know if the announcers are OLN staff, or those belonging to whoever filmed and produced the show. This may be a reason for the flesh and other issues mentioned….

Anyone know what the case is?

-=Squid=-
11-11-2003, 01:35 PM
Im just happy to see paintball on tv, being portrayed in a positive fashion for what it really is.

billmi
11-11-2003, 03:23 PM
The stuff that has been airing on OLN is produced by Focused Productions. I've not gotten a straight answer on whether OLN is buying the shows and airing them, or if Focused is buying blocks of airtime, then selling the commercials within the shows themselves. Or it could be a combination of the two - many productions are done where the program is given to the network in exchange for a portion of the advertising flights, or where the program itself is an "advertorial" with the content blatantly plugging whoever paid the producers, and then the network selling the commercials that air during the program breaks.

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills

GT
11-11-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by billmi
The stuff that has been airing on OLN is produced by Focused Productions. I've not gotten a straight answer on whether OLN is buying the shows and airing them, or if Focused is buying blocks of airtime, then selling the commercials within the shows themselves. Or it could be a combination of the two - many productions are done where the program is given to the network in exchange for a portion of the advertising flights, or where the program itself is an "advertorial" with the content blatantly plugging whoever paid the producers, and then the network selling the commercials that air during the program breaks.

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills

Bill,
any word on when we may see Pig TV backup? I miss the cool intro music. Your vids are the best!

jb

veteranmag
11-12-2003, 10:20 AM
I caught a bit of another paintball program on OLN last night. It's called Xfire. It appears to be a British game show where contestants are dressed up in orange outfits that look like space suit with knee pads and helmet cameras. They have to complete missions in the face of a black uniform clad opposing force.

The paintball marker are incorporated into some kind of mockup gun so you can't really tell what they're shooting.

billmi
11-12-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by gtrsi

Bill,
any word on when we may see Pig TV backup? I miss the cool intro music. Your vids are the best!

jb

Some time in the future is the best I can say at this point. I fellow AOer just pointed me to a very good deal on high bandwidth web hosting, and I'm much more confident now that PigTV will be returning for next season, the question remains, how soon. I didn't shoot video at the IAO or World Cup, or Miami (though they are much more restrictve on video there so I probably would not have anyhow.) I did shoot at Philly, and that show hasn't been "on air" yet. I'm pretty stoked about next season when PigTV is back online. I picked up a new notebook this summer geared for video editing and actually had the 1/2 hour Philly episode finished before the tournament was over. You may have noticed in comparing PigTV to other videos, it's not as "fluffy" with more detailed graphics etc. but it's very fast from the event 'till it was online (less than 6 days for every event in 2003.) My schooling in Radio/TV broadcasting was focused largely on news production, which is all about speed.

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills

billmi
01-29-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by gtrsi

Bill,

jb

New Update....
PigTV is back online.
A big thanks here goes to Darwin. He works in the web hosting industry and is underwriting PigTV's server and bandwidth to kick off the 2004 season :-)

The Philly Open episode is out now (I actually produced the whole thing and had it done the night the tournament was over, but we'd closed the server so it hadn't aired yet.)

New shows to come....

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills

Scooter/Cootie
01-29-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by billmi

New Update....
PigTV is back online.

Sweet, back on the air! Thats great of Darwin to help out like that.

cphilip
01-29-2004, 03:35 PM
Wheeeeeeeeee!

Now to go pop some corn and get me a brewsky and...

Good news Bill.

RRfireblade
01-29-2004, 03:51 PM
Great to hear!

Thanks Bill.