PDA

View Full Version : PlayStation 2 not reading discs!

Remington
11-11-2003, 07:38 PM
Thus far, the problem has been intermintent but now it just won't load any games. It will read and load music CD's and it will sometimes recognize PS2 game CD's but when I try to load a game, the screen goes black like it's loading the game and then goes back to the "memory card screen"(where you can see the data on your memory cards). I went to GameStop( :rolleyes: ) today to ask if they had any products that would clean the laser's lense but the guy, in all his wisdom, said that Sony makes the PS2's so that after a couple years, they don't work anymore. I thnk he's just trying to get me to buy a new PS2 but what do you think? Anyone experience similar problems and if so, how did you get it fixed? :(

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
11-11-2003, 08:02 PM
you could send it into sony to get it fixed, or just be really careful, and use a cotton cloth or like one of those swiffer, pads to clean the laser

penguinpunk555
11-11-2003, 08:21 PM
Throw it out of the window and get an Xbox?Sell it on ebay on a diffrent account then never use it again.

Remington
11-11-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by penguinepunk555
Throw it out of the window and get an Xbox?Sell it on ebay on a diffrent account then never use it again.

So helpful, thanks. :rolleyes: ;)

maglover52
11-11-2003, 08:28 PM
mine did the same thing i tried blowing it out with an air compressor and it still didnt work
so my mom ordered a new one

cheetah256
11-11-2003, 10:25 PM
just go find a lens cleaning disk for a cd player. they're pretty much universal. after you run that through, it might work.

jdev
11-11-2003, 10:31 PM
john,

the same thing happend to me with my old PS2. wouldnt load the games, would tell me it couldnt read the disc, or i should put a PS2 disc in there. my end result, I ended up buying a new PS2, because prices came down on them @ the time.

id say, go to circuit city or Best Buy and see if they recommend something to clean a DVD player with. use that, couldnt hurt.

MantisMag
11-11-2003, 10:36 PM
i haven't actually read the article since i don't have a ps2 but i saw it a few days ago and figured it might help. *warning* this will require some technical skill and will void your warranty.

http://www.arstechnica.com/reviews/003/gaming/ps2/ps2-1.html

Ironmag
11-12-2003, 03:26 AM
Something similar happened to my 1st Generation PS2 and found out at online forums that lots of 1st gen PS2's seemed to be going down the crapper. So I called Sony and got them to fix it for me for FREE*. Got it back after about 2-3 weeks and worked like new. You could be lucky like my roommate and have them send you an extra PS2 for free, seemed that they messed up and duplicated the sticker and sent him 2 a few days apart. Lucky SOB. Anyways, it couldn't hurt.

*Disclaimer. Did not cover initial shipping charges, but better than paying 200 bucks (at the time).

dansim
11-12-2003, 05:18 AM
go buy ps2, switch ps2 units return to store viola.....i didnt recomend it though;)

vf-xx
11-12-2003, 08:07 AM
I had that happen with mine, except it wouldn't load DVD's for me.

Me and my Dad took it apart and very carefully cleaned the laser VERY carefully.

If you're interested I can find out exactly what we used to clean it.

ShooterJM
11-12-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by MantisMag
i haven't actually read the article since i don't have a ps2 but i saw it a few days ago and figured it might help. *warning* this will require some technical skill and will void your warranty.

yeah it'll void your warranty, but it works. My roomie got his ps2 the week they came out. I've done this 3 or 4 times now and the thing still runs fine. My local gamestop will try to fix it for $60, but they don't claim that it'll work. Mostly when people bring in a broken PS2 they just point them to the used xbox section.

FragTek
11-12-2003, 11:38 AM
Have you ever thought about this?

MAYBE ITS TIME TO BUY A REAL SYSTEM --------> XBOX! :p

ShooterJM
11-12-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by FragTek
Have you ever thought about this?

MAYBE ITS TIME TO BUY A REAL SYSTEM --------> XBOX! :p

Yeah, got one of those too. :p

AO should really have a game exchange thread. Sort of like a free AO member netflix.

Remington
11-12-2003, 02:49 PM

Has anyone tried this before? I think I'm going to try it to see if it works. Thanks for all the help everyone! :D

ShooterJM
11-12-2003, 02:58 PM
**cough....cough...**

Originally posted by ShooterJM
it'll void your warranty, but it works. My roomie got his ps2 the week they came out. I've done this 3 or 4 times now and the thing still runs fine.

Remington
11-12-2003, 03:06 PM
Oops. Heh heh, sorry 'bout that ShooterJM

DJBacon06
11-12-2003, 03:10 PM

Oh yeah, it most def. works...in fact i JUST did it yesterday (found a differnt tutorial). I was so fed up with the dang Disc Read Errors i was about to chuck it accross the room! But then i fixed it, and all was good.

ShooterJM
11-12-2003, 03:14 PM
hehehe no worries. Just be careful with the little ribbon cables. when you take off the top of the PS2 that's all that connects the on/off and eject buttons so be careful, they're a PITA to put back on if they get disconnected.

And that thing is right. Contra is the most picky game I've owned for the ps2. good luck. :D

GhillieGuy
11-13-2003, 12:10 AM
Same thing happend to my freind, you prolly have a version 1 laser. After awile they go bad and wont read anymore so he got it fixed for only 30 bux(put a new laser in) and a free demo game..:)

jwren00
11-13-2003, 01:29 AM
my xbox does that too sometimes, it just says that it is not an xbox recognizable disk. so i just restart it a few times and eventually it works. I really wish i could clean the damn thing, i'm sure it is absolutely FULL of dust, but i can't figure out how to open the friggen thing.

vf-xx
11-13-2003, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by jwren00
my xbox does that too sometimes, it just says that it is not an xbox recognizable disk. so i just restart it a few times and eventually it works. I really wish i could clean the damn thing, i'm sure it is absolutely FULL of dust, but i can't figure out how to open the friggen thing.

It's probably mystically sealed in the same process where they fill it with the designer's souls to weight them down.

FragTek
11-13-2003, 05:29 AM
I thought there were like 5 or 6 screws to take out on the bottom of the Xbox to get it apart.

Remington
11-13-2003, 06:35 AM
I fixed it! :D Followed MantisMag's link and everything went smooth. Thanks again! :p

MantisMag
11-13-2003, 10:08 AM
n/p glad i could help. :)