PDA

View Full Version : Is this a mag complement or a mag "diss"?

joker4hire
11-12-2003, 03:42 AM
I'm kinda confused by reading this

Most importantly, most feel new bolt doesn't give the same ultra flat ultra accurate shot original Matix gave. If you feel ball to barrel match is everthing then OK. But here's another example of chamber turbulance affecting accuracy. The original Trix had the stored air right behind the bolt/spindle. A little in/out movement around the top hat then straight down the bolt through the venturi, a real nice path. But they wanted the bolt smaller. Now the air has to make a right turn through those holes on the edges and another right turn to go down the bolt. Now it's just pressure behind the ball, no direction, and direction is the one thing Trix had, don't kid yourself, Mag has it too, the Air is behind the ball. It's not that "Quality alway shoots straight" it's that straighter air shoots straight.

Got it from this link on the DM4 at PBN

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?threadid=342328

I think he is saying the mag design is good right?

maglover52
11-12-2003, 05:21 AM
yeah i think its a compliment to.

oldsoldier
11-12-2003, 06:48 AM
Um, can air BE crooked? I mean, what is "straighter air"?

JT2002
11-12-2003, 07:32 AM
well i think he might be right about air turbulence, as different surfaces cause different air pressures to affect an object. so in theory i think he might be right, but this is something that needs to be tested. i think i would take that as more of a mag diss, saying that because the gun just makes pressure behind a ball its not as accurate

Load SM5
11-12-2003, 07:46 AM
So now we are to believe that air careens around corners, slams into walls and spins around like a car with balding tires on a greasy road?:rolleyes:

skife
11-12-2003, 08:18 AM
i've never thought of it that way, but now that the kid said somthing bout it, dit does kinda seem that way doesn't it?

breg
11-12-2003, 08:21 AM
Dancing air...?

ramennoodles
11-12-2003, 08:26 AM
hm, meh, i dunno.

Mango
11-12-2003, 08:26 AM
Wow that is something else....I can't believe people actually believe these things. That was quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever read.

Player 1: "Hey what happened?"
Player 2: "Yo I wuz shootin' but couldn't hit em cuz my air wuz crooked!!1"
Player 1: "Dag yo!"

datapimp69
11-12-2003, 11:21 AM
every time air has to change directions there is turblance.

you may think it is a smooth path but it isnt.

the air will relly smash into the back side of the conner.

rember... a body in motion tends to stay in motion..

so if the air is travling in one direction and you want to change the direction the there is energy loss to make it change the direction.

so you have to turn it up more so that you have the same finnle result.

i hope i was clear :)

Gman63
11-12-2003, 11:49 AM
Air flowing in a straight line under pressure does not flow straight. Think of air as what it is, molecules of various gases bouncing off of one another directed down the barrel of a gun. When you turn air under pressure around a tight corner or around a small item in the flow stream turbulance is injected into the mix. How much depends on pressure, temperature, gas composition and the diameter of the flow passage(s). These things when properlly calculated can result in the gas flow being either very laminar (straight) or turbulant (crooked).

MantisMag
11-12-2003, 11:55 AM
If you feel ball to barrel match is everthing then OK.

that cracks me up. if you have a good match then no matter what direction the air pushes in where is the ball gonna go?

tobz
11-12-2003, 12:06 PM
excuse my lack of technical jargon know how... but

if there is "300fps worth of air" behind the ball to make it fly, then yes, paint to barrel match is pretty much everything.

if the air was highly turbulent, it wouldn't much matter because it would be "uniformly turbulent"

even so, there is enough "straight air" to cancel out the "crooked air".

I'm just trying to disprove that idiot's idea without any technical know how. I mean come on, we all know that the air is just straight, but if he thinks it's crooked or severly turbulent, then my above ideas should prove him wrong.

I've been up way too long.

T.J.

GT
11-12-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Gman63
A How much depends on pressure, temperature, gas composition and the diameter of the flow passage(s). These things when properlly calculated can result in the gas flow being either very laminar (straight) or turbulant (crooked).

But that is the question? Just how much actaully makes a difference. There is a real easy way to test, just pull your barrell off and fire away:D .

Honestly I think this is more BS spat out from some kid who doesnt have a complete understanding of fluid dynamincs. This is good convo/post material for engineers and physiscists but for the general pb popultion, I fear, that the calculations maybe alittle confusing.

This is right up there with the guy that told me that bolt vibration had a bearing on accuracy and therfore closed bolt guns shot farther and more accuratly. Folks can believe what they like as long as they see mark my mag/viking left.....

jb

xen_100
11-12-2003, 01:08 PM
what he is talking about is "turbulent flow" vs "laminar flow". Laminar flow, if achieved, would help in directing the ball in a strighter path down the barrel. would this help with acuracy? who knows. the barrel does alot of the guiding of the ball.

right nowe there is nothing that even comes close to achieving laminar flow in paintball......even the original trix (as he was saying) is going to have turbulence. as the air exits the bolt. every little edge, every little oriface that the air has to go through will cause vortices and 'bend' the air in different directions.

aerospace companies spend millions of dollars to reduce or eliminate turbulance on wings and other surfaces of the plane. it takes alot more than just making sure the air, "goes straight".

GT
11-12-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by xen_100

aerospace companies spend millions of dollars to reduce or eliminate turbulance on wings and other surfaces of the plane. it takes alot more than just making sure the air, "goes straight".

Honestly I think this question is more of a question of effiency than distance/accuracy. Get more work out of less air.

jb

xen_100
11-12-2003, 01:52 PM
if that is the question.........then explain cockers!??

they can be some of the most efficient markers out there. the air take a 180degree turn before it hits the ball.and that is after a 90 degree bend at the VA. same with vikings. very effient, air get routed nearly the same way.