PDA

View Full Version : College Course Help

ubooze
11-13-2003, 09:51 PM
My college advisor in school isn't to knowledgable when it comes to college courses.... so I turn to you guys. hehe

I was wondering what differentiates a College of Technology from a College of Engineering(Purdue comes to mind, just had a guy come in to school)? More specifically, what is the difference between Mechanical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering Technologies? Are they similar in any ways? Another set of majors I would like to be clarified is Industrial Engineering and Industrial Technologies. Are these really similar or quiet different. And lastly(justed looked in the brochure), what is Industrial Design? Is it something like Mech. Engineering?

I would like to become a Mech. Engineer. It looks like something I would like to become. But I don't just want to be the designer, I would also like to learn how to make the final product. I also don't want to be restricted to simply be slaved to just lay-out and ensuring that a design works, but actually designing it. From what I understand, a mech. engineer JUST designs the working portion of a product, a designer brainstorms the idea, and somebody else is in charge of manufacturing. Maybe I am getting ahead of myself, but this is what I would like to do. Maybe I should major in mech. engineering and just take the other two on the side.

Any and all help would be appreciated. I really want to determine ahead of time what I study, and not go in undecided. Also, depending on what these different studies are, they may be part of the things on which I will base my choice of colleges. Once again thanks for helping this 2005 graduate, oh, and sorry for any spelling mistakes that I make, I'm in a hurry.

jwren00
11-13-2003, 10:55 PM
If it says "engineering" in the major, it's an engineering major, but if it says "design" or something stupid like that, it's probably some bs major that doesn't require you to do all the hard math and chemistry and physics courses, which you need if you want to be a mech engineer. That's probably the case, atleast it is at my school.

Rocp15126
11-14-2003, 12:24 AM
WHICH PROGRAM? (From Penn State Website: PSU.edu)
Engineering or Engineering Technology

Engineering is a program with a more theoretical emphasis taught at a higher level of mathematics whereas engineering technology is a program with an application emphasis. Students who enjoy mathematics and the physical sciences and in learning why things work should consider engineering. Students who enjoy "hands-on" and laboratory experiences and learning how things work should consider engineering technology.

Typical descriptors for engineering and engineering technology are:

Just as engineering and engineering technology programs are designed for individuals with different interests and abilities, so are the typical job functions for which employers recruit engineering and engineering technology graduates.

Engineer Technician / Technologist
Conceiver/ Achiever
Planner/ Producer
Expert/ Expediter
Master's System/ Master's Details
Originator/ Completer
Theoretical/ Practical
Works with Mind /Works with Hands

Generates Ideas /Converts Ideas to Reality

Short and simple : Engineering = Theoretical and new development

Engineering Technology = practical and application of developments.

Now that said a few things about engineering. Technology programs general require less "difficult" curriculum. (ie less calculus based classes.) In most states, if you graduate with a BSET degree you can still sit for the engineering in training and professional engineering exams. Engineering programs have more selection as far as types of program. It is more calculus based. Try visiting abet.org or nicet.org to see how engineering programs are certificated. Regardless of which way you go know that it is work intensive! General speaking there are three basic types of engineering: mechanical, electrical, and civil. There are however many more. Most four year engineering curriculums require the same classes so start with them. (calculus,physics,chem,etc.) Mechanical engineering is said to be the most "all around" general engineering. As far as work goes there are many different tasks that engineers perform. In fact, I've seen plenty of mechanical engineers performing electrical engineers jobs and vice versa. Hope this helps a little. Good luck.

Miscue
11-14-2003, 01:43 AM
Technology degree = Arm chair quarterback. :p

Learn all the math and fundamentals in school. Learn experienced based stuff, like how to produce things, on the job and on your own... and as much as you can extract from school. I would go for the engineering degree if you can handle it.

School gives you a foundation... it doesn't make you into an engineer ready for the real world. You'll have the tools in your head to get yourself started in the field, but you will learn about your trade mostly by actually doing it when you start working.

I got my degree from an engineering college... it's never been clear to me if that makes me an 'engineer'. Oh well, I don't care what I'm called... just want my name spelled right on my paycheck. :p

Quiet
11-14-2003, 05:06 PM
I'm with Miscue on this one (not that I tend to disagree with him), go engineering if you can. You say you want to do the whole range of inception, design, implementation, you'll be better served by the more thorough education in the engineering setting. Don't get me wrong, engineering technologists are no less capable in their field but they are more limited in their scope.

P.S. if you want to cover the whole range of duties I would suggest working at a smaller firm as duties can get very specialized in large firms.