PDA

View Full Version : Tank class player?

FooTemps
11-15-2003, 01:13 AM
I was reading through the multi barrel gun thread when I remembered that vf-xx's goal was to become a walking tank class player at scenario games... Who else thinks that this would be fun/feasible to be a tank even without a vehicle or anything of that sort?

kemikos
11-15-2003, 02:41 AM
I remember hearing about a game this year where it happened...

It was a "Terminator"-themed game, and a few players were "terminators" who, if I remember the description correctly, played by tank rules. I don't remember the name or field, but it was May or June...

And, of course, at MechWar last year, anyone who wanted to build a BattleMech costume (by decorating a set of football pads) could play as a 'Mech, using a modified set of tank rules (basically, they couldn't shoot at regular players. "Weapon upgrades" allowed them to eliminate ground troops with grenades, though).

Whether or not you'd be allowed to do it depends on the game and the producers, I would imagine. One problem I expect you'd have to figure out - how are you going to tell the "tank" players from the regular grunts? In order to prevent confusion, I'd imagine you'd have to be easy to recognize... (IIRC, the "Terminators" wore a kind of vest or something.)

Someone's already come up with a different solution to that problem, apparently. Check out this Warpig article:
http://www.warpig.com/paintball/resources/books/pug/

I'm actually planning to try building one of these; they seem like the perfect tanks for most scenario games.

Oh, to answer your original question: I do!

Kenn

Pyrate Jim
11-15-2003, 11:10 AM
http://www.pbmarshals.com/SHELOB.html

The Spider runs on tank rules, and it does shoot back. At the Halloween game at Strategy Plus in CT, Ladymarshal was the one inside. She played with a PGP, the gunport was tight enough that all she did was push the PGP out and back to pump it.

vf-xx
11-15-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by FooTemps
I was reading through the multi barrel gun thread when I remembered that vf-xx's goal was to become a walking tank class player at scenario games... Who else thinks that this would be fun/feasible to be a tank even without a vehicle or anything of that sort?

Hey! somone actually remembers what I'm doing!!! For mine I believe it would have been obvious. Given away by the large backpack and the huge gun rig.

On a secondary note, I'm not sure it's going to happen as steady cam vests and arms (even used) are prohibitively expensive.

FooTemps
11-15-2003, 02:55 PM
You could probably botch together your own steadicam type vest. I've seen instructions on how to do it. All you need to do is make sure you balance it properly.

vf-xx
11-15-2003, 05:07 PM
We'll see, I have another project in mind, but I think I'll keep it to myself until I have more of it done.

FooTemps
11-15-2003, 09:55 PM
lol, I think we all have projects that we're working on right now. (can anyone say electro-y-grip? :D)

Wes Janson
11-20-2003, 11:33 PM
I've got you ALL beat! :D For the Finale, I'm going to convert my bicycle by putting a frame over it, and modifying it to be basically a PUG on wheels. All it will require is some scrap wood, some nails, some netting, and maybe a new seat ;) Best of all, however, is that I'll be able to take it literally into the enemy base if I wish, and I won't need to deal with insurance, cut-off switches, and the like. If you watch the last Finale, the Bounty Hunters actually had a small wheelchair tank on their team that was moderately effective (hampered by the wheels, though).

doc_Zox
11-20-2003, 11:49 PM
a bicyles high center of gravity
could be a bit dangerous with a cage surround

shooting while peddling could get sketchy

and an endo faceplant would be really bad

The rangers had a flintstone tank at Twin Showers
it was ~ 4 x 10 and held several players

Wes Janson
11-20-2003, 11:54 PM
You don't move and shoot in a tank ;) It's about as effective as shooting while running: not very. The idea is to get to a good spot, then open up. I've seen people ignore a gas-powered tank making a helluva racket until it gets within a couple dozen feet, by which point they're already screwed. Make it a motorless tank, and I can probably barrel tag people with it :D

judster
11-21-2003, 07:21 PM
you cant barrel tag people if you are in a tank...there is a 20 foot rule reguarding tanks. gas powered or a foot driven tank fall under these rules....the last mxs game in OK had foot tanks(it was based off kelly's heros thus no helos were used, but instead they were used as tanks) it was stated by mother that you could not get within 20 feet of them, however if you have a bunker between you and the tank that is ok.

DeeEight
12-07-2003, 03:53 PM
Get a large plastic garbage can, flip it upside down, and presto... instant darlek. :)

dyst0pia
12-07-2003, 04:28 PM
dalek.

Wes Janson
12-08-2003, 10:42 PM
I came close to doing the trash can idea, but I'm too tall for it to work properly, and there were too many people out there ;) And I wound up not having the time to convert my bike unfortunately. One group of guys on the Jedi team this weekend had done just that, however. Somehow, somewhere, they acquired the body shell from a yellow hummer. They then cut apart a pair of bikes, and mounted each wheel individually onto the frame, and added some mesh underneath to protect the feet. Unfortunately they didn't bother to make provisions for a cannon. Nothing has quite the same ability to provoke both dread and laughter than the sight of four italian guys running full tilt down the road inside a hummer body with an enemy tank shooting up their tail as they went. Dread, knowing you're about to be trapped by that tank chasing them, and humor because, well, it's funny as hell.

darwin
12-22-2003, 09:10 PM
a porta-forte

Faultie
01-16-2004, 10:57 PM
Sounds like a blast, tank class play. I have actually assymbled a battle-armor type suit, less mech-like and more starship-trooper like. I've got some modified black rawlings shin-guards, armored gloves, a jt headshield mask (covers entire head), throat guard, and, best of all, motorcycle crash-armor (not dirt-bike style, but street-bike style) w/ tortise-shell back and armored shoulders, for-arms, chest, shoulder blades, etc. I am also working on what I call the "power-guantlet"...a mag mod wherein I mount my automag, w/o grip-frame, to the forarm armor, run an electrical switch to my glove, which allows me to fire the gun via a cut-up e-grip while it's on my arm. I run a remote hose and warp-hose up my arm to a pack on my back...thus, my hands are free and I have a gun mounted to my left arm. It's big and black and heavy, but will look cool when done (working on the gun right now, it's near done). I'll try to get pics up when I can, but it just illustrates the coolness of the tank-class players. I've only gotten to play it once, but I would like to find a scenario game where they allow it.
-Andrew
P.S. The warp feed is hooked up to a VL-3000...400 rounds baby!