PDA

View Full Version : Which Corvette to get?

manike
11-16-2003, 09:41 PM
IF ;) you were going to get a brand new Corvette would you go for the Manual 6 speed transmission or the 4 speed Auto? and why? I've always driven manuals but quite feel like being lazy with the auto box. Will I be losing out a lot if I go for the Auto?

Any other options worth getting or not getting?

Pretty much decided to go for the coupe with 'T-Roof' and heads up display but not sure about my other options.

I'm thinking the dark silver colour... but not certain on that yet either. :confused:

Toughest decision is manual or auto though...

Life is full of such 'hard' :D decisions... if only! :D :D :D

Fixion
11-16-2003, 09:43 PM
I would get the manual, I hate automatic transmissions.

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
11-16-2003, 09:50 PM
Manual. Whats the fun in driving an automatic corvette? (well i would do anything to drive any kind of vette)

BobTheCow
11-16-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by CoFFeY[NiTrO]
Manual. Whats the fun in driving an automatic corvette? (well i would do anything to drive any kind of vette)
Ditto, ditto, and, uh... ditto.

Gitaroo Man
11-16-2003, 10:03 PM
sure auto is "easier" but its less fun and you'll regret it. its worth getting manuel even you get stuck in traffic b/c the other 75% of the time you'll be tearing it up. you loose power and control by getting auto

spazzed
11-16-2003, 10:03 PM
Manual! :D

All your choices are good so far ...ohhh yeah..hehe :D

Color..seen the midnight blue? MmmMmmgood :D

PyRo
11-16-2003, 10:09 PM
I would go manual. If you want 1/4 miles though, the auto with a good shift kit can be just as fast as the manual.

manike
11-16-2003, 10:13 PM
I am not going to be racing it at all. It's going to be my every day car to get around, to and from work, as well as some fairly decent length road trips at the weekends when I get chance. It's NOT going to be a low mileage car.

Whats the 'shift kit'? is that the paddle set up? I've heard about that. Do you need to start with a base car as an auto or manual for that?

hhhmmm... I'd love paddle shifters... :cool:

PyRo
11-16-2003, 10:17 PM
Its just for auto's and if you bought a new corvette you wouldn't put one in because bye bye warrenty. I would go with the manual, the only thing is the manuals tend to be more of a PITA in snow than auto's if you ever plan on taking it out in that weather. And if you arn't going to shoot someone having to deal with it in traffic.

manike
11-16-2003, 10:32 PM
I'm not sure they even get snow in Dallas ;) at least not very often!

PyRo
11-16-2003, 10:42 PM
How am i supposed to know your in Dallas, look at your location... :)

cris8762
11-16-2003, 10:56 PM
send me the $ for teh vette' and i'll build you one out of chickenwire and paper mache(sp?)

i promise:D :D

i'll throw some huge model rocket engines in it and it'll go really really fast ;)

CaliWagon31
11-16-2003, 11:10 PM
but if you had a choice for any kind of corvette what would it be; mine would be a '63 stingray with the split rear window, and the 37.5 galon gas tank with the side exhaust. That is the car of my dreams.

and to stay on subject, manual in the midnight blue color is awsome

datapimp69
11-16-2003, 11:45 PM
simon, this is the vette i would buy

http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp/models/gallery.jsp?model=xlr

same car diffrent body! much hotter..

but if you must buy a reg vet then get the auto.

you dont sound you want to push it as hard as you would need to, to see the diffrence in the two.

and dallas never get snow, but does get bad traffice going in and out of it.

hate sitting in rush hour traffice with a man.

i mean how can you beat a car that adujest the cruise control to keep a set distance from the car in from of you

i hope you read all the info on that site at least.. it will blow you away.

Jon/xpm
11-16-2003, 11:47 PM
manike-forget about a new vette
if your going to get a vette for looks
go old school and get a classic style...

Personally i would suggest a new school car as:
z28
mustang gt(my choice)
trans am
Then spend money on other
things like a mean sounding
exhaust , some kind of wheels like
welds ;)

Then going old school
69 ss camaro
70z chevelle
mustang boss
dodge charger
ford Fairlane
maybe a custom hot rod
ford Cabriolet
eleanor ;)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2443237846&category=6236
mustang fastback
chevy nova
ETC ETC ETC

Sparq
11-16-2003, 11:47 PM
Automatic...because lazy is a way of life :)

krafty
11-16-2003, 11:49 PM
Not that you'd ever sell it... but resale value of sports cars is higher if they have manual transmissions. :D

Anyways, the fun factor of a stick is MUCH higher than an automatic.

Oh, and I highly recommend LIGHT COLORS for the interior of you have an option. The Texas sun can be merciless, and a dark interior will just suck that heat right in. Since you're going for the T top, it's obvious you want your hair (what's left of it) to be blowing in the breeze. Light interior. You'll thank me later.

maglover52
11-16-2003, 11:50 PM
manuel. i cant drive yet but i have driven before and i like the way you can control your rpms. i like to be in control of my rpms and gears.

krafty
11-16-2003, 11:57 PM
Oh yeah, some other things:

We drive on the RIGHT over here.
It's a hood, not a bonnet.
It's a trunk, not a boot.
They're tires, not tyres.
Without exception, the car is wired negative ground, not positive earth.

And they're wrenches, not spanners! And your funky British sized tools won't work. :)

PyRo
11-17-2003, 12:17 AM
Just about any old mopar. Charger, challanger, cuda, I would personally take one of those over a vette any day especially with the 426 hemi. But his question was about new vettes, I think??

Miscue
11-17-2003, 01:26 AM
Automatic = no clutch pedal = space to put kickpod for your $5000 stereo system. :D

FragTek
11-17-2003, 01:43 AM
As far as a tranny... It all depends on what you wanna do with this 'Vette. You wanna bracket race it? Get the automatic. You wanna take it on the street and eat up ricers, then get the manual.

JesseB
11-17-2003, 01:45 AM
I'd get a Z06.... in either yellow, or get it painted black with orange pearl.... then have custom tweed interior with molded flames in the door panels and such... then for the engine, full borla exhaust, MTI air lid, MAF sensor and SLP headers. Then I'd prolly be satisfied.

But my dream car is a 3000GT/stealth with twin turbo and all wheel drive. soooooo much potential except for the fact that they weigh 3800+ pounds....

PyRo
11-17-2003, 03:35 AM
He said its not for racing, hence the automatic :)

manike
11-17-2003, 05:37 AM
Guy's remember I want it for an everyday reliable car to do the work run. I am not interested in racing it or playing silly idiots with Ricers. It has to have at least a part removable roof, hence the T-roof and no choice for the Z06.

I want a 'vette, because I have always wanted a 'vette, sorry no substitutes will be concidered. :D

MarkM
11-17-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by PyRo
How am i supposed to know your in Dallas, look at your location... :)
If you had lived up to your self proclaimed title then surely you would have actually read at least some of Manike's posts saying that he was moving to Dallas to take a up a position with National Paintball :rolleyes:

Simon, you are so buying into the American cliche...a Corvette?? ;) :p I know manual is nice and controlable but as a regular transport you will want an automatic, since when did America have decent twisty roads and you know the way they (the cars) are set up from the factory they are built for comfort not road holding...fiddle with it and of course you will get the handling but it will shake you to bits. I would buy a totally different car but then you have said you don't want alternatives....I have driven Corvettes here and as long as you get a good one (new models don't fall into this description) then there is power to spare.....just remember to make sure the handbrake is released...Corvette hand brakes lie about being released ;)

slateman
11-17-2003, 11:53 AM
Simple. Which one is faster. You should get that one. Its a corvette. Despite what you say, you will drive fast. And if your gonna break the law, ya might-as-well do as fast as is possible. :D

PyRo
11-17-2003, 11:58 AM
Well, he wants a new one. Basically all it depends on is whether or not he likes to drive manual, and if his like for it is enough to warrent dealing with it in traffic.

headcase
11-17-2003, 01:14 PM
In my personal opinion always the stick. I have never owned, and never will own(as long as I am capable to shift myself) an auto. Driving an auto just bores me. I have never had a problem with a stick in traffic; Boston, Austin, Dallas, Atlanta, DC, NYC, I have never found the manual to be an issue.

Something to think about; How do you feel about shifting with your right hand? :) I know if I moved somewhere with RHD, I would have to assume it would be very diffrent to shift lefty for a while.

manike
11-17-2003, 01:18 PM
I've driven left and right hand drive cars for years.

A lot of our test vehicles when I worked in the automotive industry were left hand drive so I got used to it pretty quick. Not a problem for me once I start. :cool:

I've always had manuals previously but hired an auto on my last trip to Orlando and it was so effortless to drive in all conditions that it made me think about getting one.

I've done my share of nailing a sports car through the twisties and playing with the gears (I used to have the most amazing run to work through the country side). Half of me thinks I won't be bothered to drive in such a fashion once on the very different USA roads... and half of me still wants the stick... :D :confused:

RRfireblade
11-17-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by manike

I want a 'vette, because I have always wanted a 'vette, sorry no substitutes will be concidered. :D

Z06, There is no substitute.

And T-Tops are for chicks,be a man.;)

Jay.

Eric Cartman
11-17-2003, 01:51 PM
Not so much for the speed and acceleration, but for the deceleration, cornering and handling I'd never want to give up the stick shift. I just feel so much safer with one - a real one with a clutch pedal and not one of these autostick things.

It's your cash, so do what makes you happy, but I don't think these cars should even be offered with an automatic unless you can prove you're over 60 and have at least one plastic hip. There would be no other excuse to have an auto in a car like this.:D

Mango
11-17-2003, 02:25 PM
**Puts on Corvette Fanatic Hat

Ok first of all, C5 corvettes do not have "T-tops". They have a removeable roof you can get if you like the Coupe body lines. HOWEVER, if you get the convertable, you will lose NO structural regidity in the C5 because that car was designed AS A CONVERTABLE first and the hydroformed body is stronger than the SL mercedes, long considered the benchmark when it came to rating the strength of automobile frames. The C5 corvette trumped it. If you like the removable roof panel then go for it, but I will tell you, in Dallas I would go convertable. You only gain a marginal amount of weight but once again, the car was designed for that.

Second, the Cadillac XLR is NOT the same as a Corvette. And it shares the same Sigma Platform body/frame as the upcoming C6, NOT the C5. Differences? Well first of all the ENGINE. The XLR uses the Cadillac Northstar 32 valve V8 and is grossly underpowered. You pay out the but for Cadillacs goofy styling, a hard top retracable roof, an underpowered V8 and Magnetic Ride Control. Some other components come out of the same parts bin but thats where the similaries end.

If i were you Simon, I would wait a few months until the new C6 comes out. We're talking a completey new Corvette with more horsepower and more options availible than ever before. The facts about it can be found here (http://www.c6vettesales.com/C6FACTS.html) and the Magnetic Ride Control will be standard on all C6 corvettes. It's an amazing system that adjusts the stiffness and reactivity of the shock absorbers in real time through a series of sensors that monitor pitch, yaw, cornering G's and braking and allows for insane handeling possiblities.

And to answer your question automatic is great for a daily driver. There is nothing wrong with it. :p

SlipknotX556
11-17-2003, 03:09 PM
I wouldnt get a vette, Esclade is the gangster ride for me.

vf-xx
11-17-2003, 03:32 PM
Blah blah blah.

Moving to Dallas EH? Well as a Fort Worth native I have to suggest going with the automatic. If you're going to be battling DFW rush hour traffic it really is the best bet.

And I realize that you said that this is going to be a normal daily car, if you buy a vette, you WILL get a hankering to play with it a bit. Thats ok, there are some really nice roads to test it on in Texas. Since you're moving here, I'm sure you visited, but contrarty to what some people said, we have twisty roads here. Texas is spread out not up like the east coast.

As for the snow thing. If you're living in DFW don't expect it, ever. Once every couple of years it'll snow, but it always ALWAYS turns to ice almost immediately (trust me I lived there 18 years).

If you have any other questions do feel free to PM me, I don't mind.

Crazy brits are invading!! run for your lives!!!

FalconGuy016
11-17-2003, 03:36 PM
MANUAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU CANT HAVE A COREVETTE WITHOUT MANUAL :eek:

manike
11-17-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by vf-xx
Moving to Dallas EH? Well as a Fort Worth native

Cool... I didn't spot that.

Were you at the last PACS event? Where Texas Storm won the event? I was :D

I actually just got back from a week in Dallas. I have my apartment sorted out (2210 Canton street within Walking Distance of Deep Ellum...) and am waiting on my visa to return ASAP.

I'll be back and living there permanently within a few weeks. :tup: I have my office half built in Irving and it's all coming together nicely!

JesseB
11-17-2003, 03:46 PM
Oh forgot to mention most of the roads in The Dallas Metroplex suck ***... and as low as a vette or any sports car sits its gonna get annoying bouncing around... Just driving down I-20 in a full sized SUV is hardly bareable...

hopefully you will go with the vette as a toy and a sensibl everyday car. unless you have the green to comute in one because in the dallas area the bulk of the population works in the city and commutes from outlying rural cities and townships, but you prolly know all that...

manike
11-17-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by JesseB
unless you have the green to comute in one because in the dallas area the bulk of the population works in the city and commutes from outlying rural cities and townships, but you prolly know all that...

I'm lucky enough that I will be doing just the opposite of that :)

I'll live in the City (by Deep Ellum) and commute out to Irving. :D

JesseB
11-17-2003, 03:52 PM
Right on...

good rent there? or are you purchasing?

manike
11-17-2003, 03:54 PM
Renting. A GORGEOUS apartment. :) Might purchase in a year or so depending on how things go.

billybob_81067
11-17-2003, 04:01 PM
Automatic transmissions can take high torque better than a manual... so if you are going to be doing lots of peeling out and nasty launches then you might consider the automatic. Also the automatic would definately be better in stop and go traffic...

Then again, it is a chevrolet automatic and therefore there is a higher chance of you blowing out the pinions on your forward planetary gearset...

If you like the feel of a standard though and would be comfortable driving it in rush hour traffic, then go for it. You'll probably find yourself going through some clutches and throw-out bearings with that kind of stop and go traffic...

There is pros and cons to each, so it all just comes down to what you like best. :D

vf-xx
11-17-2003, 05:12 PM

Cool... I didn't spot that.

Were you at the last PACS event? Where Texas Storm won the event? I was :D

No, I haven't made any events recently. I'm a poor college student and I'm currently out in lubbock. Also known as west hell.

Jon/xpm
11-17-2003, 06:48 PM
manike-Trans Am has T-Tops...

i have a friend who might be selling
his red trans am with t-tops
in very great condition
he lives in the D/FW area...
let me know if your instrested

how about the
Corvette Commemorative Edition Z06

Lohman446
11-17-2003, 07:12 PM
Buying new... assuming (and understand I have not seen the most recent spec sheets).

First off, your going to put a ton of miles on it, you said (and either keep it long term or trade it in before its out of warranty - I assume). This kills long term value that collectors and enthusiasts (where the manual MIGHT increase value) are. For either of these I have to recommend an automatic - I am assuming you are not going to be street racing or any racing for that matter. Its just convenient.

I have a tuned out Porsche 924 stick, awesome car, fun as hell. Factually when I walk into the drive I more often take my Taurus to work, its just easier.

Factually, the Joystick six speed is overrated. The last spec I saw top speed was attained in fifth gear, sixth gear was rather worthless and just there for looks.

As for the suggestions of Cadillacs (and I work on cars all day) if you are ever going to let it get out of warranty run away. Cadi's are GMs testing ground for new ideas, if they don't work well, hold up, whatever they are generally handled by warranty and most Cadi owners trade them in before warranty expires - this interestingly also applies to the Olds brand as far as testing - GM has said that the majority of Olds drivers (older) just ignore options they don't like.

Then again, your looking at an automatic and you call yourself a European... I think you have been a closet American all this time.

PyRo
11-17-2003, 09:09 PM
6th is there for gas milage on long trips.

Mossman
11-17-2003, 09:12 PM
You can get auto if you please...but I'll have to smack your 6'5" british *** if I ever get a chance to meet you. And don't kid yourself, I smack good.

I'd suggest the manual :)

I just got a GTI vr6 about 2 months ago and if this thing was an auto I woulda sold it by now (I figure why wait for my gun whoredom to carry over into car whoredom, let's get it over with right away). HOWEVER, this thing is so fun, and a big part of that is due to the tranny (going from a ram 1500 and a honda odyssey every day to this is a big step) ;)

Anyhow, to sum up, get the stick so I don't have to smack you. I'm worried about possible reprocusions, but i'll still do it. ;)

logamus
11-17-2003, 09:24 PM
well i can tell you from first hand experience that the auto vette is not that bad. espically driving in dallas. my fadar has an 03 auto and driving/riding is not bad at all. it still has more than enough power to get you in a world of trouble. not to mention you save a few grand going for the auto. not that is a big deal, if your buying a vette and the price of the manual is too much, then the price of the vette is too much. :-)

anyway, let us know when your here. i would love to take a trip to nps and meet the great manike! and who knows, maybe down a pint or two.

manike
11-17-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Mossman
Anyhow, to sum up, get the stick so I don't have to smack you. I'm worried about possible reprocusions, but i'll still do it. ;)

There would be three smacks... you smacking me, me smacking you, you smacking the floor... :D ;)

Originally posted by logamus
anyway, let us know when your here. i would love to take a trip to nps and meet the great manike! and who knows, maybe down a pint or two.

I'll let you know as soon as I get back into Dallas. I'll buy the beers if you come by in the 'vette and take me for a ride to check it out. :D :D :D

logamus
11-17-2003, 09:37 PM
I'll let you know as soon as I get back into Dallas. I'll buy the beers if you come by in the 'vette and take me for a ride to check it out. :D :D :D

heh, if only. my dad loves that car more than his own life. despite being his 30 year old son, i know there is no way on gods green earth he would allow me to be gone more than 2 minutes alone in that car. :-) oh well, we can still do the beer though. im always down for that!

11-17-2003, 09:39 PM
I would go with an automatic I always thought of a corvette as a penis extender and cruising ca not really a super fast drag racing tear up the road beat the ricers machine.

Mossman
11-17-2003, 09:51 PM
There would be three smacks... you smacking me, me smacking you, you smacking the floor... :D ;)

Possibly. But after a few hours when I felt fit to peel my face off the floor, and I staggered to my ride, at least I'd be driving a stick away :)

SlipknotX556
11-17-2003, 10:02 PM
Stick is really horrible if you live in a city, because of the constent stoping and then you have to down shift like every turn.

Auto for citys

Stick for ghetto life in the middle of like no where.

Mossman
11-17-2003, 10:32 PM
Stick in bumper to bumper traffic on the highway sucks big hairy nuts, but in the city it's fine. The key to normal city traffic is beasting everyone at every green light. There are wide open pastures SOMEWHERE.

Bumper to bumper sucks in any car, in my opinion. I'd still rather be in my car than either of my parent's :)

BEHOLD the Dirty Green Monster (http://sam.superneato.com/bigsexy.jpg)

Person
11-17-2003, 11:00 PM
anyone who considers auto or manual or zo6 or not zo6 a hard decision is out of their mind and doesnt know what a corvette is. shame shame.

Mossman
11-17-2003, 11:05 PM
Well zo6's are all hardtop right?

Manike knows he only has a few years left with his meager # of black hairs, he wants to make the best of them :)

MaChu
11-17-2003, 11:06 PM
Ewww....what beat that VW with an uglystick...:D

But anyways, Welcome to Texas!

I would get an auto for the 'Vette mostly because Dallas traffic is horrible. Not as bad as Atlanta(visited), but good long jams consisting from 30 min to 2 hrs. A manual would be hell and quite bothersome. Unless you like driving fast,then go outside of Dallas by any one of the interstates(where people go 80+mph anyways) and have fun weaving in and out of traffic(but get a radar detector, they do help sometimes).

But why get a 'Vette? This here be Texas son! darn get yourself a small truck! New Ford F-150 , Chevy 1500 ,HEMI Dodge Ram 1500, Toyota Tundra, or the new Nissan Titan is coming out. Or maybe get a 1 ton so you can just run over those damn ricers. They make great vehicles and you can carry all your gear in the bed. And trust me when you go out to Fort Paintball in Plano on a wet day with that black soil mud, a 'Vette ain't gonna cut it. Get a nice lift, some off road tires, cattle gaurd, and you might look like a real roughneck Texan man, not some fancy tea sipping ninny from across the pond:)

Or maybe a SUV? LOTS to choose from, and they too can be made to fit a crazy system and video. But remember, this da Dirty South and Escalades must be ridin on da 24in spinnahs and laced Gucci fabric interior! BLING BLING! From manike the brit, to manike the pimp, make all the honeys scream!!!

Mossman
11-17-2003, 11:14 PM
My VW has been hit with no stick at all, let alone the ugly stick :)

Couple crummy pics i took right when I got my new cam:
http://sam.superneato.com/rollinonvolks.jpg
http://sam.superneato.com/zoomzoom.jpg

Let the damn briton get a vette, who are you to stop him :) Vette or SRT-10 when it comes out. Ohhhhh man :)

Mossman
11-17-2003, 11:53 PM
HAHA! After about 400 failed attempts, my gaudy sig is complete!

See. make fun of Mossman's ride and he makes a hideous sig in it's honor. Let that be a lesson to ya :)

PyRo
11-18-2003, 12:41 AM
Oh God.

vf-xx
11-18-2003, 02:15 AM
Oh God.

Yes? What can I do for you boy?

Mossman
11-18-2003, 02:39 AM
I think he wants you to force me to change my sig. As powerful as you are, you do not hold that power. My sig is inpenetrable!

JesseB
11-18-2003, 03:10 AM
oh and on the gas mileage topic there is skip shift on all GM standards... goes straight from second to 6th for in town driving..

SlipknotX556
11-18-2003, 03:16 PM
Moss what HP is your car anyway?

trev_pbller
11-18-2003, 04:03 PM
Simon, I've been around Vettes for a long time, being dad is in the business. But, what I would go for would be the 6 speed. And if you heart really isn't set on it, go for a vertible', better resale and of course the ladies would like it :D Silver or gray color is ok, but not a vette color. And, if you want to go for performance and speed all in one, check out a 95 ZR1. Its the last year they made them..motors were built by Lotus, sold by Chevy. Thats the car I aiming to get as a car to drive (at 16.) If you wait until this next year, the new C6 will be avaliable. Ok ok, I'm done with my rambling. Oh yea, 6th isnt just for gas milage :) The ZR1 tops out at about 182 or so. An awesome car for its time...*EDIT* I see we have something in common Simon, a want for vettes :) If and when you get over here to the big US, if you ever get to Indiana, stop by John Lingenfelter's shop in Decautar. The man is a genious, worked with Reeves Callway to produce the Sledgehammer vette, and John has produced his own. The body kit he produced is killer on a C-5..his cars are amazing. Something that does 0-60 in 1.9 secs and beats a F-18 hornet in the 1/4 miles is kickin'!

Trev

PyRo
11-18-2003, 04:35 PM
I thought all american cars were limited to 124 electronically? And changeing the chip would mean no more warrenty.

rehme
11-18-2003, 04:46 PM
i would find a '78 vette and restore it and paint it black.
but i would have to put a big engine in it like a 454 :D

rehme
11-18-2003, 05:07 PM
what kind of engines do the new vettes have? the LS1?

Mossman
11-18-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by SlipknotX556
Moss what HP is your car anyway?

I dunno, it spins it's wheels on the dyno :) :D :p :cool:

trev_pbller
11-18-2003, 05:21 PM
The C-5 does. C6 I believe we be different. If I was going to go all American, 65-67 bb would be the way I would go, original cars are bringing a pretty penny. Pyro, yes, most domestics are limited, some being lower than that, but have you ever had a Vette cut out on you at 124? I sure haven't...from the factory. Proof..a team of endurance racers set the world record for the fastest speed ran over an amount of miles. Took them straight off of the production line, and ran them ( I think) Over 4,000 miles at an average speed of 175, no breaks. Held the world record until recent when a proto car broke it. No chip. And the electro speedo is good for that amt. of speed, up to 255.

UltimatePaintballer
11-20-2003, 05:14 PM
Guy's remember I want it for an everyday reliable car to do the work run.

i have never looked at the vette as a for a everyday reliable car. more like a going to high school reunion and show off what you don't have car:D

trev_pbller
11-20-2003, 06:51 PM
You must be visualy impaired.

PyRo
11-20-2003, 07:07 PM
New vettes arn't really somthing to show off. I don't look twice when I see one, now when I see a nicley restored muscle car, or old corvete :)
But I guess those don't fall under "reliable transportation", although they are reliable as long as you take care of them like you should, and they are more high maintenance than newer cars.

PolishSausage
11-20-2003, 07:10 PM
Don't be an idiot, wait 6 months for the C6

Tunaman
11-20-2003, 07:31 PM
Simon...trust me on this one. Corvettes ride like crap, they rattle after not too long, and are generally heavy as hell. Dont fool around. For the cruising I know you will be doing, get the Cadillac!:D ;)

trev_pbller
11-20-2003, 07:41 PM
Tuna don't be smashing Vette's now :) They only rattle if you run em hard and put em away wet......Oh Simon just quit messing around and go for the Lambo :D AWD for those freak winter months and sudden ice storms..perfecto!

Trev

PyRo
11-20-2003, 08:00 PM
Who wants a vette anyway?
Save up the extra money and get a viper. :)

trev_pbller
11-20-2003, 08:15 PM
Vettes are a bit more special to me in a way. Sort of sentimental :) Once I hit 18 and can get my business really up and running, I hope I can make all of those dreams come true. Then Yes, next comes the Viper, the 911, The callaway vette, the Lingenfelter Vette, etc. etc. But before then I will have either a vette or a callaway c-8 camaro...I'm not doing bad for an almost 16 year old kid am I? Already own 3. But its the business I am in I guess...

GT
11-20-2003, 09:56 PM
I have driven a few vettes:D If you are spending the cash you are realy going to want a 6spd. I hear ya'! I had always wanted a vette until a drove a few after that I never really liked them.

If you want my real opinion feel free to ask! BTW you need to head to the vette owners group. Make sure you read the posts about issues most owners have with chevys. If I knew you alittle better I could get you a pretty good deal on new vettes in the DFW area.

jb

GT
11-20-2003, 09:57 PM
Who wants a vette anyway?
Save up the extra money and get a viper. :)

Your kidding right? Viper is a real piece....

PyRo
11-20-2003, 10:46 PM
Whats wrong with a viper? Vettes arn't that fast, an LS1 camaro isn't too far behind speedwise. They don't look that good, although the removable roofs are cool. And a stock viper will kick the hell out of a stock vette. Plus its a Mopar :)

GT
11-20-2003, 10:51 PM
Whats wrong with a viper? Vettes arn't that fast, an LS1 camaro isn't too far behind speedwise. They don't look that good, although the removable roofs are cool. And a stock viper will kick the hell out of a stock vette. Plus its a Mopar :)

See if you can find the statment made by the Viper Club of America, or whatever they call themselves, President reguarding the reliability of the wonderful mopar V10

PyRo
11-20-2003, 10:57 PM
Nope, cannot find it, but that is what warrentys and leasing is for :)

bofh
11-20-2003, 11:39 PM
I thought all american cars were limited to 124 electronically? And changeing the chip would mean no more warrenty.
hehe... no. they aren't limited as far as I can tell.

Zumina
11-20-2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by bofh

hehe... no. they aren't limited as far as I can tell.

Some cars are. I sincerely doubt all cars are though.

sneakyhacker420
11-21-2003, 12:31 AM
oh come on simon, you GOTTA get the manual transmission... much much faster that way :p

PyRo
11-21-2003, 12:35 AM
Just more fun to drive in general :)

Barfly
11-21-2003, 02:12 AM
I would rather push a manual sports car than drive an automatic sports car. That just shows how emabarassed I would be to own an automatic one. SUV's and the like, autos are OK, because they are not that fun to drive anyways. Unless it is a big hick rig and you can go beat the livin' piss out of it.

PyRo
11-21-2003, 02:17 AM
Or if you can get the SUV airborne :)

Barfly
11-21-2003, 02:21 AM
yeah that would be sweet. haha, one of my buddies has a videotape of him and his buddies jumping his mom's minivan. That guy is kinda of crazy though, he also has videos of him getting huge air on his dirtbike and doing other crazy ****.

OfficerGoat
11-21-2003, 05:24 AM
6 Speed all the way. So far as driving in trafic ... they are no prob. On the C5 the clutch is very ligth and the ratios are low enough to be easy to get the car rolling again with out probs. I used to drive the 880 parking lot from San Jose to Oakland on a near daily basis and never had any complaints. The other thing with the 6 speed is you get about 3-6mpg better gas milage... of course depending on how you drive the car. :D :D

Now... if you are going to buy new there is one and only one way to buy...... Museim Delivery. You actualy go and pick your car up from the factory. Very fun experience. I just wish I could get my next one that way. (Next one has to be used)

They are computer governed to 156mph, but with a minor computer tweak I have heared of 192mph....

These are fun cars and so far as looks go... yeah there are alot of em floating around so no they are not an eye catcher like a nicely done 67 or something... but when it comes down to getting behind the wheel they are by far the best vette out there.

And I give the C6 a thumbs down for the moment... same reason I wouldnt upgrade versions of windows untill they come out with the first Service Pack or two... it needs refinement. The C5s sure did.

For more info i recomend www.corvetteforum.com ... very nice folks over there.

trev_pbller
11-21-2003, 06:16 AM
Are you smoking something Pyro? A viper is no better, and its a Dodge, that says enough. The "tops" are cool? lol. Which do ya think is faster Pyro, Lingenfelter Vette or Hennesy Viper? CF is a nice place...there are some spy pics of the C6 that are supposedly the real thing.

Zumina
11-21-2003, 06:34 AM
bah, I'm still emfatuated with my pop's 95' ZR-1. With a set of custom headers, a complete dynomax exaust, and an MSD ignition, it runs low 12s all day long.

trev_pbller
11-21-2003, 06:46 AM
Preach on my brother.

PyRo
11-21-2003, 09:31 AM
Dodge is better than chevy :)

billybob_81067
11-21-2003, 10:37 AM
Dodge is better than chevy :)

Ford ownz em all!!! ;) :p

GT
11-21-2003, 11:10 AM
Nope, cannot find it, but that is what warrentys and leasing is for :)

Right lease a viper? BTW dodge may pimp that warrenty at the time of purchase however good luck cashing that in when there is a problem with your viper.

El presidenta viper club stated, I believe in motor trend, not to expect your motor to last longer than 40k miles.

Personal note, I never really liked the sound a viper makes when really getting after it.

jb

billybob_81067
11-21-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by gtrsi
Personal note, I never really liked the sound a viper makes when really getting after it.

jb

Yeah, I know what you mean, a guy I know has a V-10 Ram and it sounds like a freakin weedwacker when he's got it wound up...

I'll take the low rumbling sound of a V-8 any day... or the sound of a diesel (drool) :D ;)

trev_pbller
11-21-2003, 06:42 PM
Totally Different...I agree though, Viper never thrilled me. Always looked stripped down, in the motor compartment and in the interior. Oh well..

ZyperioN
11-24-2003, 12:41 AM
Im pretty sure im the first to bring this up but what about putting a sequential shift tranny in it. sure it'll probably void your warranty but hell it'll give you a happy medium between a manual and an auto.

sneakyhacker420
11-24-2003, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by billybob_81067
... or the sound of a diesel (drool) :D ;) diesel = good :D

GT
11-24-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by ZyperioN
Im pretty sure im the first to bring this up but what about putting a sequential shift tranny in it.

There is only one seq that is put into a prodcution car that is actaully worth a crap. There are quite expensive probally more than a vette, I am unsure how much ferrari sells there F1 trannies for.

ZyperioN
11-24-2003, 02:33 PM
yeah that was my only concern, they are a bit pricey although i think he could find one that would be do-able. They are extremely nice to drive though....

PyRo
11-25-2003, 02:31 AM
We found a 79 for $3,000 that needs a little work, thought it was a great deal then I found mint ones for 5k :(