PDA

View Full Version : building a Sniper2, looking for sites with good info

TheTramp
11-17-2003, 09:46 AM
As I said in the subject, I'm building a Sniper2 and I'd like to read up on them. I'm looking for looking for sites with good info. Is there a forum for the Sniper2?

Thanks for the help.

Spaceman613
11-17-2003, 10:21 AM
depends what you want out of the sniper2.

pump players internet group
pbnation (pumps)
phantom owners group
tinkers guild

what specifically were you looking to find? i might be able to help... Ive built a few nice snipers.

TheTramp
11-17-2003, 10:39 AM
Basicly I'm looking to find info on the "best" internals ect. I'm sure that different people have different ideas as to what the "best" are so I figured I'd read up so I could make some informed choises.

Specifics:
1) what parts to use
2) where to get the parts
3) how to best install the parts (if there are any tricks that are helpful to know)

I'd like to make a very effcient gun that will run on both CO2 and HPA with a smooth pump feel and trigger pull.

Spaceman613
11-17-2003, 10:47 AM
my opinions from experience.

stock valve (although almost any will work well with the right spring set.

AKA springs (matched, and easy to set up)

hammer.... pick any, but dont get a "heavy" one... heavy will get you "hammer bounce" and will hurt efficiency.

bolt... I make mine. no orings, delrin, and matched to the specific gun. You dont want a huge gaping hole in the bolt. I usually like a .375" opening in the face.

pump kit? CCM kit if you can afford it. Although there will be others released soon if I heard correctly.

grip? I like sliders.... old Bob Long grips are comfy, but any that feels comfortable is good.

Now.... Where to get the parts....
compulsive paintball
g3pb.com (Terry is always a good guy)
paintballmaxx
bunkerboyz paintball

Anyplace you find the good price, grab it.

Now for installation? pretty much the same as a cocker. I know there are a few places that will do the install and tune a gun, but doing it yourself is much better.

Basically take the same concepts of assembly as a cocker....

BUT, heavy hammers on a sniper wont gain you anything but inefficiency (and some wont agree on this).

TheTramp
11-17-2003, 11:02 AM
Thank you very much for the info.

I just want to state here that I've never owned, fixed, or even really used a Cocker however I have worked on many other paintball guns so I'm sure I can pick it up.

I know AKA but what about the CCM kit?

Only needing a stock valve is nice to hear. One less thing to have to spend a bunch of cash on.

Now, on most bolts having as much flow throught the bolt is best. Why does the bolt you describe limit the face diameter?

Spaceman613
11-17-2003, 11:09 AM
chipley custom machine.

www.chipleymachine.com is the website i think. the pump kits they produce are darn nice. (i use them on 2 of my snipers)

why less open bore on the bolts? Simple, becuase you dont need more open area. Ive seen some that are massive and really hurt efficency. My stock class sniper uses a bolt that has a .25" bore for both the transfer port and the exhaust port. (no increase in dia from the valve to the ball).

Unless you want a super low pressure gun, most stock components will be fine. And you really wont see an advatage from going LP (maybe quieter).

Lee
11-17-2003, 02:31 PM
get a roller sear and a benchmark frame. roller sear makes for a nice crisp and short trigger pull.
benchmark frame has an adjustable trigger stop so you can set where the trigger breaks at.

the_next_guy_
11-17-2003, 07:52 PM
paintballlover.com will have all the little random stuff (screws and such) that you will need.

TheTramp
11-18-2003, 01:12 AM
OK, thanks a lot guys. This has been a lot of help.

Now I just need to decide if the CCM pump kit is worth the $70 vs. the $25 for the factory kit. It sure looks like it is. :)

the_next_guy_
11-18-2003, 04:10 PM
In the warpig review I think it said the CCM kit didn't have a spring, so when you pump you have to push the handel foreward too. I may be wrong though.

Spaceman613
11-18-2003, 04:15 PM
Jason from CCM doesnt include a spring, because he said... No matter what spring i include, it wouldnt be right for some people. Some like no spring, and some do. And the ones that do (like me) are most likely going to change the spring anyway.

A hardware store usually has a good spring for this. both of my CCM kits use a return spring. and the direct feed snipers I use are butter smooth. Better than my sterlings in my opinion.

You do need to push the pump handle forward... actually if you just point the gun downward, it will return forward.. They are very smooth when set up correctly.

TheTramp
11-18-2003, 04:33 PM
So you'd say that the CCM Kit is worth the extra $?

Spaceman613
11-18-2003, 04:39 PM
hard question to answer... if your building a full-on, custom, want the best sniper.... then yes. If you arnt interested in the tip-top best... the wgp kit will work fine.

my sc sniper uses a wgp kit... I built the gun to not be the prettiest in the world. Also the springing doesnt lend itself to being butter smooth. So for that gun, the wgp is perfect. For my shocktech... everything says smooth, so the ccm kit is the ONLY way to go for that gun.

my next sniper will prolly have a different kit. Something custom, or maybe a prototype from a friend.

TheTramp
11-18-2003, 04:46 PM
Well, as I'm strating with nothing other than a nice body kit I might as well get the best stuff.

CCM it is.