PDA

View Full Version : How to find out dealers price ... anyone know how?

lopxtc
11-18-2003, 10:35 AM
I just found out that my father who hasnt been around most of my life may finally be useful LOL ... seems his company is part of the a-plan with Dodge (or whatever their discount car buying plan is) and can get a new vehicle for 1% under dealer cost.

So I have been looking over the 2003/2004 SRT-4's and thinking that if the cost is good enough with the discount I will get one of those ... however I am wondering if its possible to find out the cost without having to get the paperwork and going down to the dealer. I am not looking to buy till tax refund time (so about 5-6 months from now) but want to price out ahead of time.

Aaron

PyRo
11-18-2003, 11:00 AM
I think with consumer reports you get the dealer price. How is he getting these under dealer cost? I can get a significant discount on dodge trucks through my uncles landscaping buisness, but they don't get them that cheap. It's really hard to just figure out the dealer cost, my fathers silverado they came down $1500 and he got it $500 above dealer cost. And his camrey I think they came down even more than $1500, more like 2000-2500, and still made a profit on it.

jpdgas
11-18-2003, 12:07 PM
I just purchased a ranger under fords d-plan. I think dodge works the same way. there is an A(assembaly) and a D(dealer) plan which are basically the same. Each dodge employee get a certain number of "pins" a year which allow them or a familiy member to buy a car for a certain % under invoice. i think the a-plan gets more pins or something.

how it works:
1.You talk to your dad, he should know everything about it. You will need him to get you a pin or have him tell you how to do it. i sould do it online with the right info, like his ssn, b-day, and so forth.

2. go pick out the car you want and ask how much it will be under a-plan. they can check, and if they say they cant, they are lying. the dealer can also generate a pin.

3. fill out the paperwork and drive away with a great car, srt-4's are hella fast.

here are some tips:

1. the dealer may give you a hard time if it is not the dealer your dad works for. dont let it phase you, they can still do it.

2. the more expensive the car, the bigger the discount. 40k car is usually around an 8k discount. 20k car=4k discount.

3. look up extended warranties online before going to the dealer if you want one. ford tried to charge me 2k for a $900 warranty. this is where they will make the money because thay are making nothing on the sale.

4. take your time, do lots of research. try to get the dealers lowest price and then tell them about your a-plan. this may get you an even bigger discount.

I know this is long, but i hope it helps. It is definitly worth your time. My sister got a 03 mustang gt premium (around 26k) for 19k out the door. my rangers msrp was 24k and i paid 17k out the door.

good luck!

oh yea, to answer your question more specifically, you can get the a-plan price, but you may want to wait untill you are ready to buy and try to get the price even lower. but you are probably looking at about 18k after tax. tax is added before the discount. also, year end rebates will allow you to get deals like me and my sister.

deathstalker
11-18-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by jpdgas
2. the more expensive the car, the bigger the discount. 40k car is usually around an 8k discount. 20k car=4k discount.
That's the same discount - 20%. :)

Kevmaster
11-18-2003, 01:27 PM
www.kbb.com

Kelly Blue Books

cphilip
11-18-2003, 01:38 PM
I know its terribly complicated formula. Because there is what they call Hold back and such. And those vary depending on the model and its popularity and profit margin. And some of those special employee incentives plans the dealer that sells does not get hold back and some plans do.

We have a couple of dealers on our Ford Diesel site that will figure it all out for us. And a good number of Ford employee's there that give away PIN #'s near the end of the year. I know they need your SSN and such to assign it to you. things like that. So I suggest you find the best active site for your car and see if anyone there is informed enough to do the math for you.

jpdgas
11-18-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by deathstalker

That's the same discount - 20%. :)

Yea, I know. Thats because the plan uses the same percentage no matter what the car. bad example, but I was also thinking about rebates, which sometimes vary car to car. It was coincidence that they are the same, but ya'll know what I meant:)

logamus
11-18-2003, 02:30 PM
also, shop around. go in one day and not mention anything about the "a plan". then go in another day and mention it. see what the difference in price is. sometimes dealers are very unwilling to neg the price on the special plans because they try to get you to believe they are losing money. just realize the special plans are tricks just like neat ads to get you to buy a car. you can sometimes do better without the plan, not always, but sometimes. you can also go to another make, say nissan and test drive the sentra spec v and mention that you are looking at the srt-4 because you get the dodge "a plan" and often they (the nissan dealer) will give you their special plan pricing too.

lopxtc
11-18-2003, 03:21 PM
Yeah I was looking around today also and just found out that under Dodge's plan the SRT-10 (Viper) and the SRT-4 are not covered under the discount plans ...

That blows ... oh well. Thanks for the tips though ...

And the discount plan is 1% under invoice, plus $25.00 ... Is the $25.00 really that important :) LOL

Aaron

PyRo
11-18-2003, 03:35 PM
Dealer needs to make somthing :)
That sucks. Now you need a ram 3500 with the I6 cummings diesel, manual of course :)

lopxtc
11-18-2003, 03:37 PM
Forgot diesel powered trucks are also excluded from the plan ... Kind of blows, the things people really want you cant get a discount on ... go figure.

Aaron

Originally posted by PyRo
Dealer needs to make somthing :)
That sucks. Now you need a ram 3500 with the I6 cummings diesel, manual of course :)

PyRo
11-18-2003, 04:32 PM
That sucks, I would just pay the extra $$ and get what I wanted.