PDA

View Full Version : Night Vision and Scenarios

T-Bird
11-18-2003, 11:50 PM
I've never played a scenario game before, but might be interested. I have seen scenario players and equipment like the Tac-One have night vision on them.

I'm just wondering if the stuff they carry is specially made to withstand a paintball hit? I don't even dare bring by cheep camera on the field, let alone something in the hundreds of dollars to get shot up.

I was also looking in to getting some goggles, perhaps ones with the head strap. Whats the differences beween Generation 1, 2, 3 night vision? Where can I get some cheep ones, besides ebay?

Thanx

Sneaky Elmo
11-19-2003, 01:34 AM
Night Vision is a big topic between players. There are a lot of choices out there. It all comes down to what you can afford. I have used all types over the last 2 years (20+ scenarios). I will give you me opinion and you can take what you want from it. There is a huge difference between the Gen.1-2-3. I wouldn't even waste your money on Gen. I since most if not all require an IR light to see clearly and to other night visions it is huge sign that says shoot me. The night vision you see in the ad for the new AGD Tac-One is actual mine since we helped Tom design it. It is an ”Aries Mark 6500" gen 2+. I have used it for 2 years and have had great success and you can get them on Ebay for around 600-900$. We have just upgraded the Gen 3+ PVS-7 which is head mounted goggles but to use them you have to modify the mask and some promoters will not let you do that. We made a new lens for the goggles out of metal. You will also find that which masks you wear will also make a big difference in the use of night vision. Since all are made to fit up against your eyes but with goggles on there is a 1-2 inch gap which narrows your field of view. I would say if you are serious about getting some save your money and at least get Gen. 2 or 2+.

Burphel
11-19-2003, 01:42 AM
Night vision is very nice, but also very expensive. You can get gen1 sets for cheap, but they're darn near useless for PB purposes. None are designed specifically to withstand paintballs, although getting a set that's designed for military/police use, it'll probably have better impact/sealing tolerances than a birdwatching model.

My suggestion, if you haven't played a scenario before, is to go out and play one or two before making this investment. Luckily, Houston's a good town for scenario play. Hopefully, you've already checked out the Throwdown coming up in a few weeks. I strongly recommend finding an experienced scenario team and asking them to let them run with them for the first game at least. Most will be more than willing to help out a newbie, and it really helps to have some backup and somebody to ask questions of.

For nighttime, make sure you've learned the field well beforehand. Then go out, close your eyes for 2 minutes and open them. You'd be suprised what you can see out there without NV if you can manage to stay away from people who insist on using flashlites. The only time you should be using a flashlite at night is if you're already eliminated, totally lost, or checking armbands.

oldsoldier
11-19-2003, 02:53 AM
Think about this: Iraqs army possessed T72s...and they had gen 1 Night Vision equipment. The American military uses gen 3+...we were hitting them at twice their seeing range.
It all comes down to light amplification. I think, but do not quote me on this, the newest NODs amplify light like 60,000 times. The gen 1 was like 10,000. There is a HUGE difference in seeing with them on. However, because it is a two dimensional view, some people get vertigo. And, it is not uncommon to walk into things (or off a cliff, Like I did a few nights ago), due to skewed depth perception. My suggestion is to get the best you can afford.

Digi_Gyrl
11-19-2003, 05:36 AM
*falls off chair laughing*

I don't think I was supposed to see this cuz you didn't tell me about it.

I told you to be careful, silly. Guess I won't be telling you to "jump off a bridge".... maybe "walk off a cliff" seems more appropriate now. giggle

Stacy

oldsoldier
11-19-2003, 05:51 AM
ha. ha. ha. Anyway, no, I didnt tell you...only happened two nights ago...

T-Bird
11-19-2003, 05:48 PM
Me and some buddies are a little tight on cash (especially with Christmas comming) and I wanted to get a little night time woodsball thing going in mid to end of December.

Yall know of any place that is forest, not too near to any populated spots that has a decent brush thickness? We are comming from the Southwest part of Houston so any help would be great.

Better yet, why don't some of you AO guys come on down and show us some good spots. I'm just dying to meet some forum memebers.

cabldawg
11-19-2003, 07:36 PM
T-bird there is a scenario game at USA paintball on Dec 5th, 6th and 7th. Fri is the get together and BBQ. There is a bunch of things going on. Even if ya can't play, you can get some info and meet some of the players

T-Bird
11-19-2003, 10:59 PM
Yeah...I don't think ill have the money to actually play, but i'd like to stick around to see whats up.

trains are bad
11-20-2003, 06:43 PM
My optometrist told me it can take hours for eyes to fully adjust to darkness, and I believe him. After a lot of darkness your eyes will secrete this fancy stuff that helps you night vision. It takes hours though, and light will ruin it.

I have taken a blindfolded nap before dark and stayed with no light like that for the rest of the night. With a few hours in the woods I was amazed how well I could see. On large moonlit nights it's seriously like daylight, you can see paintballs and everything. And it's REALLY fun playing in the dark like that.:D

doc_Zox
11-21-2003, 03:59 PM
sony sells a DV night shot enabled video camera for 550 bucks...

Jaasper
11-22-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by trains are bad
My optometrist told me it can take hours for eyes to fully adjust to darkness, and I believe him. After a lot of darkness your eyes will secrete this fancy stuff that helps you night vision. It takes hours though, and light will ruin it.

I have taken a blindfolded nap before dark and stayed with no light like that for the rest of the night. With a few hours in the woods I was amazed how well I could see. On large moonlit nights it's seriously like daylight, you can see paintballs and everything. And it's REALLY fun playing in the dark like that.:D

I can vouch for this, once your eyes are ajusted, with afull moon out, its great. Flash lights actually makes it harder to see at night, narrows your vision alot.