PDA

View Full Version : Halo B - Wtf??

MaxPowers
11-19-2003, 09:40 AM
Hey guys, Looking for some info here.I was on the verge of buying a Halo-B. I just finished reading a thread about some of you with HALO troubles. Whats the deal? Is it worth the $$$ or will I be sending it back to Oddesey all the time? My X-mag just came in, and I am looking for the best way to keep it well fed and hapy :-)

fire1811
11-19-2003, 09:46 AM
well i personally sent it to halo 3 times all for new motors. but there are a lot of ppl that have not had one problem with theres.

ogre55
11-19-2003, 09:53 AM
I think that there was a bad batch of motors that Halo got a while ago, which caused a lot of people to gripe. I have had mine pretty much since it came out and I have had nary a problem.

Ogre

TheTramp
11-19-2003, 09:55 AM
The only time I've ever had a problem with mine was when I dumped in a pod of paint that had gotten a lot of sand in it.

Other than that, my Halo has worked flawlessly for well over a year.

Dayspring
11-19-2003, 10:04 AM
Ditto. Just keep fresh batteries in it.

I haven't had a single problem with it.

pito189
11-19-2003, 10:04 AM
When I had a HALO A it worked great, just don't use black or half black shell paint.

I have used a HALO B on many occasions and never had a problem. The majority of time on my X-Mag.

You could wait for the HALO that is sound activated, and doesn't use an eye at all. Manike was shooting one at the PSP World Cup I do believe.

MaxPowers
11-19-2003, 10:09 AM
Thanks guys. So there are problems with 2 color shell paint? eeesh. Im still at a loss. I guess I should just check one out. I see them all the time at EastCoast PB in Marlboro NJ, but I have been tentative about buying one. Please keep the feedback coming in, its greatly appreciated. I have a Pre-Brass Eagle VL that worked well with my RT, but I haven't tried it out on the X-mag yet. I'll get to it this weekend when I play out here on Staten Island.

G-Rock
11-19-2003, 10:17 AM
I had a halo B, had problems with it, sent it in, took 2 months to get it back when they kept sayign it was only 2 weeks, when i got it back , I traded it for a 12 volt xboard and $60. I then bought a Evolution for my xmag, and have not had any problems out of it, just make sure to get the y or z board for it.

I out shot the pre y board, so got me a y board, and now out shoot it, and have a z board on the way for it.

Evolutions are great and worth every penny.

Chris Geiger

MarkM
11-19-2003, 10:20 AM
Yes Halos have problems with 2 colour shells but only when one side is black or damned near to black, as for total issues... how many people own Halos compared to Revys and what problems do we see with Revys, shells breaking, motors burning out, jams, electronics dying, imcompatabilty with previous body shapes (lids) motors turning and turning, batteries lasting single games. All similar problems to the Halo...and they have been looked at and although the shells problem will be ongoing the jams have been taken care of with the Ripdrive and the software issues have been upgraded with the Z software, the main performance thing against a Halo is ball capacity, then weight and then cost. The biggest thing in it's favour is speed you ain't gonna be outshooting a Halo any time soon ;)

Oh BTW I have both a Halo and now an Egg II with Z-board but the Egg is a backup.

pito189
11-19-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by MaxPowers
Thanks guys. So there are problems with 2 color shell paint? eeesh.

No please read my post, there is a problem with black or half black shelled paint. The eye can't read the paint, because the IR beams are absorbed by the black shell.

Evolutions are worth the money if you want bigger capacity than the revvy, but the same speed. Evolutions won't feed realiably above 14-15 bps. Ones that I have seen and used.

MarkM
11-19-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by pito189

You could wait for the HALO that is sound activated, and doesn't use an eye at all. Manike was shooting one at the PSP World Cup I do believe.

That was an empire prototype ;) notice the clear insides not blue?

G-Rock
11-19-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by pito189
Evolutions won't feed realiably above 14-15 bps. Ones that I have seen and used.

This coming from a guy who swears on his ricochet...oh my you cant shoot faster then 12 bps. Hehe

chris

JEDI
11-19-2003, 10:27 AM
I've got a Halo-B with the last batch of "current" software. I had it upgraded at the IAO. Now its doing something weird. It feeds well, but when I'm not shooting the drive cone is "pulsing" like the motor wants to keep feeding. I checked for a dirty eye, but that didnt help. Sooo... I think mines going back for what ever new - new software they have. :rolleyes:

-=Squid=-
11-19-2003, 10:37 AM
I have sent mine back once, but to answer your question, yes they are worth the money. Built far more solidly than an egg, and much faster. The customer support cant be beat either.

C_22
11-19-2003, 10:45 AM
Overall the HALO B is a great choice. Mine has taken lots of abuse (LOTS!) and it still works perfectly. I have taken it appart (insides are very easy to figure out) to the last screw for cleaning (picture a strawberry milkshake-colored goo of paint swimming inside) and when I re-assembled it, it worked as perfect as can be expected form it and it was clean like new :)

It does not work with dark paint shells, very true; you should allways keep spare fresh AA's, it's a bit heavy and it does not hold a lot of pait. However it is the fastest loeader and also has a low profile.

The parts can be purchased on-line and my only comment is that it's a hopper you want to get very familiar with.

Hope that helps! ;)

Bensongg
11-19-2003, 10:51 AM
Ive got a Halo b with TE software. I have never had a problem with it, even though Ive only had it for a few months. It fed my Viking very well.

*Its also now for sale ;)

JEDI
11-19-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by JEDI
I've got a Halo-B with the last batch of "current" software. I had it upgraded at the IAO. Now its doing something weird. It feeds well, but when I'm not shooting the drive cone is "pulsing" like the motor wants to keep feeding. I checked for a dirty eye, but that didnt help. Sooo... I think mines going back for what ever new - new software they have. :rolleyes:

Has anyone had this issue, or heard of it? Is there a solution besides sending it back? Its got fresh batteries in it?

Dayspring
11-19-2003, 11:15 AM
Does it happen often or every so often.

My guess is that the eye is looking at a gap between 2 balls in the neck. The spring has the balls ready for the breech, but the way the ball is oriented, it may see the tiny gap between the 2 and try to feed.

manike
11-19-2003, 12:01 PM

Turn the eye sensitivity pot down a little bit.

Dayspring
11-19-2003, 12:14 PM
There is one? Where at?

manike
11-19-2003, 12:17 PM
It's the only pot on the board... :D

Also try taking a look at where the eyes relate to the ball stack. It may require lowering or raising the hopper slightly if the eyes are right at the location between two balls.

~WarpedRT#2~
11-19-2003, 12:21 PM
Dont use 9volt batteries. I dont care what anyone says will work. I have a friend who used a HALO,a nd it jammed, and was screwing up all day. He found that the 9 volt battery wouldnt work as well as normal AAs. i'd still get an Egg.

BajaBoy
11-19-2003, 12:34 PM
i have one of the 1st halo b's. Been using it for about a year now and have not have a single problem.

what you spend is what you get. If i were you i would take the extra 30-40 and buy the halo over an egg, ive used bother and i really can say that the halo is just Better

USAF-Flyboy with a Mag
11-19-2003, 01:19 PM
I've had one problem with my Halo B, which was my fault. I didn't read the instructions about the proper way to install the battery pack and replacing the battery cover. As a result I cracked my battery cover and halo shell. I sent it back in and got a free replacement shell even tho it was my fault to begin with...NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

FallNAngel
11-19-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by MarkM
the main performance thing against a Halo is ball capacity

This is really only a problem when you have a lot of balls in your hopper and want to dump another pod in anyway.

JEDI
11-19-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by manike
It's the only pot on the board... :D

Also try taking a look at where the eyes relate to the ball stack. It may require lowering or raising the hopper slightly if the eyes are right at the location between two balls.

Can you explain this a bit more? Do you mean pull the Halo out of the feedneck slightly, so the ball stack is at a different position in relation to the eye? And also, the sensitivity... turning it down might help?

manike
11-19-2003, 03:05 PM
Do you mean pull the Halo out of the feedneck slightly, so the ball stack is at a different position in relation to the eye?

Yes exactly. The eyes may be lining up with the gap between balls and this means the reflection back varies making the hopper think it needs to feed. If possible make the hopper fit lower... by cutting a few mm off the bottom or by getting as low a rise as possible. You can also lift the hopper up with a space below it or by just clamping it a big higher, but ultimately the lower you can get your halo the better it will perform.

And also, the sensitivity... turning it down might help?

Yes. If the sensitivity is high and movement of the balls in the stack (from shaking etc.) will make it think it should be feeding. If you turn down the senitivity it won't start feeding until the balls are definitely feeding. Don't worry this won't make your halo feed any slower.

maglover52
11-19-2003, 03:07 PM
i havnt had one problem with mine.

JEDI
11-19-2003, 03:08 PM
Thanks a lot! You're a great help!

Steelrat
11-19-2003, 03:28 PM
There is nothing else like the Halo out there. I have 2, and have had no problems, except with some two-tone paint the Halo didnt like.

taylor492
11-19-2003, 03:38 PM
ive had my share of problems with mine, but theres two words i thought id share with Odyssey

TOGGLE SWITCH!!!!

i hate that friggin button

theguy
11-19-2003, 03:40 PM
So far I have not had any problems with my halo-b. The only thing I'd recommend for it, is a pack of NmH AA Rechargable batteries, they'll give it a good lasting charge of power. Otherwise look forward to buying a 6pack of AA's every now and then...

Nick O time
11-19-2003, 04:16 PM
i have had it for about a year now and nothing has ever gone wrong. i have only cleaned it out about 2 or 3 times too.:eek: its built like a tank and is awsome. i would definately get one if i were u. the only complaint i have is mine is black cuz that is the only color they had in stock.:p but i am gonna order new shells pretty soon smoke.:) so my conclusion is its great never boke on me go buy it.

ERut
11-19-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by taylor492
ive had my share of problems with mine, but theres two words i thought id share with Odyssey

TOGGLE SWITCH!!!!

i hate that friggin button

Yeah, but you dont feel like your going to break the button every time you you turn it on. I'll take a button.

Nick O time
11-19-2003, 04:26 PM
what is wrong with a button you hold it down for 3 seconds its on you hold it down again for 3 seconds and its off. at least it wont turn off in the middle of a game because you accidentally bump it. the shells are nice too and the necks to break like on some of the Ev2's. the button is fine not like it matters.

rikkter
11-19-2003, 04:51 PM
only problem i've had with mine is the cone screw coming lose, and making the spring flip over onto the other side of that notch. then it was like i had a none forcefed halo.