PDA

View Full Version : HIstory of electronic paintball guns

INSANEautomagER
11-20-2003, 07:26 PM
i am doing a research project on paintball when i was reserching history i couldn't find anytrhig n on the history of electronic paintball guns and hoppers. I was just wondering if anyone know any sites wherei can get some info on them

BD_Paintball
11-20-2003, 08:02 PM
lol i just did a paper on the history of paintball for school. i didnt talk alot about electronic guns but gl on your search.

sharpshooter1286
11-20-2003, 08:28 PM
what was the first electronic gun?:confused:

Wierd-Guy
11-20-2003, 09:11 PM
The "first" is a good question. CCI, yes the Phantom Guy, made one but didn't work well so it died off. WDP bought Rice's design after it was rejected by Brass Eagle who opted to buy the Rainmaker:confused: Smartparts and another comapany made the Shocker and Patented it. This is how ou get the whole Lawsuit thing now.

By far, the Angel was the best of them. The shocker had many problems but did welll enough to sell a lot of them. Because SP pattented solenoid use in paintball guns the Angel had to use a Spool Valve, another design now used in Imps and Matrix's. SP was sued and lost the rights to all electros. Quickly, sear tripping blowbacks, Defients, Bushy's and a lot of other guns came out. The techknowlogy was simple, you just have to get the rights to do it. Now electros are taking over.

The Angel has fallen from its former dominion over "Top Gun" and the Timmy and Matrix are taking over. Paintball is becoming cheaper because people are using more paint. All of the old problems of reliability and price are coming down.

The only serious problem was with the first Angels, the V6's. The board burned out easily. The problem is nolonger present becasue so much was learned by the mistakes on the Angel and Shocker. Now most boards are water resistant and gun designs are based on protecting the internals as much as possable.

Now this is just a start, make sure to go into sear trippers and Angels a lot because those were the big ones that truely changed paintball. Good luck and have fun.

Sir Chopsalot
11-20-2003, 09:58 PM
actually the original name for the shocker was the cyber 9000 by PVI i think but i cant remember the rest of the story but it ended up with smart parts making the shocker completely and PVI going out of business... that could be terribly wrong, anyone that knows otherwise correct me.

MarkM
11-20-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Wierd-Guy
The "first" is a good question. CCI, yes the Phantom Guy, made one but didn't work well so it died off. WDP bought Rice's design after it was rejected by Brass Eagle who opted to buy the Rainmaker:confused: Smartparts and another comapany made the Shocker and Patented it. This is how ou get the whole Lawsuit thing now.
By far, the Angel was the best of them. The shocker had many problems but did welll enough to sell a lot of them. Because SP pattented solenoid use in paintball guns the Angel had to use a Spool Valve, another design now used in Imps and Matrix's. SP was sued and lost the rights to all electros. Quickly, sear tripping blowbacks, Defients, Bushy's and a lot of other guns came out. The techknowlogy was simple, you just have to get the rights to do it. Now electros are taking over.
The Angel has fallen from its former dominion over "Top Gun" and the Timmy and Matrix are taking over. Paintball is becoming cheaper because people are using more paint. All of the old problems of reliability and price are coming down.
The only serious problem was with the first Angels, the V6's. The board burned out easily. The problem is nolonger present becasue so much was learned by the mistakes on the Angel and Shocker. Now most boards are water resistant and gun designs are based on protecting the internals as much as possable.
Now this is just a start, make sure to go into sear trippers and Angels a lot because those were the big ones that truely changed paintball. Good luck and have fun.

Who made first electro IS the cause of the SP lawsuit, CCI attempted an electro? They did indeed attempt a semi automatic version of the Phantom but it was a pneumatic version not a battery insight and what they came up with leaked like a sieve as they were attempting an internal airline through the grip not into the asa as all the Phantoms were made and still are.
The Angel was showcased in an exploded version on a sheet of wood a good year before the Shocker (PVI) was around (this is one of the sticking points in the lawsuit).
Smart Parts were sued and lost the right to electro's? Not even slightly close...that is what they are sueing for right now and in the course of this they are signing for want of a better word "non aggression" pacts with others, NPS and DYE so far.
A certain guy got together with another (neither were american btw) and started work on an electrified version of a commonish pump marker at the time and due to battery capacitys at the time and the huge size of solenoids needed dropped the idea...it didn't get forgotten as the E-mag appeared some time later ;) This was when the Automag reigned supreme and the Autococker was an inconsistant experiment, so that was way way before any of the above, but as it didn't happen it can't really be counted.

LaW
11-20-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Sir Chopsalot
actually the original name for the shocker was the cyber 9000 by PVI i think but i cant remember the rest of the story but it ended up with smart parts making the shocker completely and PVI going out of business... that could be terribly wrong, anyone that knows otherwise correct me.

This is not true, PVI was making the cyber 9000 after the shocker was released, It was not a project prior to. PVI made the shocker for smart parts. The cyber9000 was going to be a very great marker though and its a shame that PVI went out of business shortly after starting to build some hype for it.