PDA

View Full Version : 300-400 Shots out of a 20oz C02

Bond
11-20-2003, 08:43 PM
Hello,

I've been around the sport for a while now and just broke down and got me and automag. I don't know that much about mags so I'm looking for some direction to fix my problem. I have a 20oz Co2 tank, it don't have anti siphon. I am getting maybe 150-200 shots out of it before I start seeing the smoke coming out of the barrel(Liquid), and the tank gets cold, ice on it allmost. I'm in florida so temp isnt a issue. And if I keep going it don't freeze the gun but the velocity gets so low that its unshootable. I am using a remote. It has A.I.R Valve on it, so I thinks its a older lvl. I really like the gun but only being able to get maybe a hopper out of it before I'm out of air.

What should I look for, or change to get more efficiency out of my C02?

description there to give you all some info on my gun.

Thanks,
Ken

Classic automag internal valve (reactor valve), .45 grip frame (splashed), Minimag body frame, Splash PF plug, Splash gadget-grip, Splash bottom-line, Splash 12” All American Barrel, Splash shark gill sight rail, Rear velocity adjuster, Professional trigger work, Double trigger.

http://ms.16thaccw.org/16th/files/all/77_1.jpg

ChucktheMAGician
11-20-2003, 09:09 PM
Welcome to AO! Smoke coming out of the barrel doesn't mean that your tank is empty, just that your Co2 isn't expanding fast enough, also a sign of fast shooting. Some thoughts that came to mind: Is your tank pointed up? It may sound odd but I did see a guy that had his tank strapped in upside down, which would allow the Co2 to collect in the remote line, making less room for it to expand. If you're still not getting alot of shots are you sure you're getting 20oz. when you get it filled? You also mentioned an anti-siphon tank. You may already know but it's not necessary if you're gonna keep using the remote.

Bond
11-20-2003, 09:41 PM
Yes, its is pointing up...just seems like it cant expand fast enough to keep up with it. I didnt mean that the smoke coming out the barrel was meaning that the tank was empty, but that is a clue that your getting liquid in the gun, correct?

I got a fill today and got home and sat on the couch and shot and counted each shot, so just pull, count, pull,count. So it wasnt that fast of shooting. and the tank got cold and the pressure reduced around 200 shots. I let the tank warm up, then went back to shooting again, it did about the same thing, another 200, and the tank was empty.

Maybe not getting a full fill?? Or should i look for something toward the gun? I also have a old Spyder Compact, and a spyder Electra, and i can get like 4 or 5 hoppers out of those guns before refilling.

Thanks for the response and help,
Ken

soccer4minimags
11-21-2003, 12:52 AM
Do you have another co2 tank to try it with. Honestly to me it sounds sort of like you have an anti-syphon in there not pointing the right way. You shouldn't have one at all with a remote. I know you said it dosen't have one, but did you purchase the tank new? no previous owners right.
Another thing to try if you can is try vertical bottle, assuming you have a vertical bottle adapter. I got great consistency and pretty good efficiency running a 16oz vertical bottle.
One more thing. is your valve getting frosty? In my experience when deliberately getting my valve to go liquid, my valve would get frosty before it shot snow like a spyder. You can scrape the frost off with your finger.

Bond
11-21-2003, 10:44 AM
the valve gets cold/cool but not frosty, and i have never got it to stick or freeze up.

As for the tank, i got it brand new and i and surtain that it does NOT have anti-syphon.

It just seems like its eating alot of gas.

ScatterPlot
11-23-2003, 01:36 PM
Where are you getting it filled? There's one or two stores around me that when I had CO2 they would barely get anything in there and die after like 2 games.

billybob_81067
11-23-2003, 11:04 PM
I fill my own tanks and I get about the same amount of shots off of a 20 ounce that you're describing, but I don't fill them full either. To fill them full you have to put 3 or 4 ounces of co2 in the tank and then drain it off in order to "freeze" the tank, then you can go ahead and put a full fill in. To me it is just a waste of 3-4 ounces of co2, so I just let it fill normally and when it quits filling I take it off the fill station.

:D

athomas
11-24-2003, 02:44 PM
I used to get about 600 shots off my 12oz tank on CO2.

Definately check to see if you are getting a true 20oz fill.

If you are using a remote, then you are good to go as far as bottle setup. An expanison chamber may help if you do a lot of rapid shooting. It will help prevent valve freezing.

The efficiency has to do a lot with the length of barrel and the amount of porting plus the inside diameter of the barrel with respect to the paint. A barrel that is too long or too short will also be inefficient. A tight bore that squeezes paint will be more inefficient.

If you have an older valve, check the alignment of the hole from front to back. If the back hole does not line up with the front hole, consider having the back piece redrilled in the correct location. This will help the recharge rate, especially when freezing occurs.