PDA

View Full Version : Defeating Night Vision Gear

rathbaster
11-21-2003, 11:42 AM
My question to put to the learned membership here, is; Is it possible to defeat guys with night vision gear without having any of your own? If so, how?

This question comes out of an encounter on another forum where an individual was rather condecending about the cabilities of night vision and rather certain of his own ability to defeat anyone with night vision gear.

Rather than get into a pointless argument where I was unlikely to learn anything useful, I quietly walked away and thought about it.

My conclusion was to ask people who may be more experienced with this sort of thing.

My only experience with night vision gear (other than the Mark 1 eyeball) is being on the receiving end of Knightmare Tango at Wolf's Lair. :eek:

-Rath

dansim
11-21-2003, 11:58 AM
flash lights, get some mag lights or a really big spot light and hit teh area you think they are advancing from, it should shut off most night vision devices, and completely blind them perhaps get a spot light and set up a remote on off switch to make some scenario traps

doc_Zox
11-21-2003, 03:56 PM
IR triggered Qbeams

kevdupuis
11-21-2003, 04:58 PM
An old camera flash with a reflector to aim the intense flash just might make an interesting addition to my gear. That or a strobe.
Must remember to close eyes before flashing someone.;)

judster
11-21-2003, 07:10 PM
it depends on the nvgs that a person is useing....if its a gen 3 more then likely that flashlight idea is not gonna work.

Jaasper
11-22-2003, 12:28 AM
Use you ears and camo works even better at night when they are using night vision. Be still and Be patient. You can and will find them. Lights are no good, all they do is deepin the shadows they can hide in, and kills your night vision.

Last twilight zone it was pitch black no moon. Which makes for a dark night. The lights from the camp ground actually made things worse. They gave just enough light to kill you night vision but not enough to actually help you. Ask the people that kept falling into the ravines. Some of them with night vision. :)

The best thing you can do is establish listening post all around the base or whatever and let them come to you. THe listen post do not shoot at the people they just let you know where and when they are coming in. Do silent check in on the listening posts so as not to give yourself away.

I have had a group of people stand next to me and discuss what exactly they planned on doing to attack the base. I heard everything they said and waited till they moved off to do it and reported it.

Once the fire fight starts then its time to hit the lights, but if its just a lone sniper let you op post reel him in for you.

One game we had people in post facing in, hidden. So people would walk up on the base and start attacking and we would shoot them in the back, most time they don't know where it came from, only draw back to this is you have to make sure YOUR team knows you are out there and where.

Not that this always works ethier, there was the one time we had a guy with night vision pulling rear guard on our base for us, too bad no one ever checked whose side he was actually on. He was letting his team mates in all night and we never even knew it. Its not a pleasent thing to suddenly discover that all those guys on guard duty, aren't on your team.

Night games are fun, they make you think more.

slushee
11-26-2003, 10:57 PM
Very interesting question .. even more interesting answers! ... I might have to look into some sort of "flash bangs" for a 24 hour game....

Poor poor suckers ;)

Bigzamboni
11-29-2003, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by slushee
Very interesting question .. even more interesting answers! ... I might have to look into some sort of "flash bangs" for a 24 hour game....

Poor poor suckers ;)

I've thought of that too. Most fields don't allow pyrotechnic devices on the playing fields. I'm pretty sure it would fall into that category. I fyou can find anyhting like that though, might try and contact the field/scenario organizer about them.

And tell me where you got them. ;)