PDA

View Full Version : First Day out with My Warp

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
11-24-2003, 07:25 PM
Well I went Paintballing for the first time in about a month and a half, and this was the first time out with my warp.

My gun was somewhat giving me problems, mainly boltstick, but i oiled and added a shim and now all is good.

But my warp really didnt want to work for me. First the batteries i was using weren't fresh enough. Then the person i bought the warp from did what appears to be an 18 volt mod, basically just tied another battery on to the other battery cable. And that ended up breaking a couple of times, I'm going to sodder that soon.

Then i had a couple of games, where my warp was working flawlessly, and that was plenty of fun.

But of course my revy eye decides to malfunction, so i have my paddles spinning non stop. And I break a ball in my hopper. Then the paint gets into the warp, and thus causing all traction to cease to exist and my warp to no longer load.

After that game I just said bye bye to my warp and ran the revy for the rest of the day.

Hopefully next time out will be better.

Also any advice as to what to do with the 18 volt mod.

Tunaman
11-24-2003, 07:33 PM
18 volt mod...get rid of it. You dont need it. I was ripping on 9 volts all weekend and never skipped a beat.;)

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
11-24-2003, 07:40 PM
Yah im think thats what im going to do, didnt notice much of a differrence, and I will be spending less on batteries and thats always a plus.

Glad to hear you had fun at the AO day Tuna:D

PBinOR
11-25-2003, 05:00 AM
Check to see whether they are wired in series or paralell first. Some guys run two batteries in their warp, not to up the voltage, but to provide longer run time. If you don't want to do the 12 volt mod, the 2x 9 volt is a good idea. It might keep you in the game a little longer.

cgrieves
11-25-2003, 05:17 AM
A suggestion for a mod if you're getting decent enough performance with a single 9V. I like having an on/off switch on my warp so I mounted a SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw) with center off and wired the positive from each battery to each throw on the switch, then wired the common to the positive input on the warp board. With the switch in the center position the warp is powered off, but each side of the switch activates one of the batteries. That way it's easy to switch from one battery to the other when one runs out.

I get good results with NIMH rechargeable batteries in my warp, so I'm also going to wire a mini jack to each battery, so I can recharge them without removing them from the warp.

FRENZY
11-25-2003, 10:57 AM
Tunaman:
18 volt mod...get rid of it. You dont need it. I was ripping on 9 volts all weekend and never skipped a beat.

Yeah, there's no need for it. I played an entire weekend at CPX without any problems...it worked flawlessly! As a matter of fact the battery started to die out on me at the end of our last game Sunday evening.

Why use two 9 volts at once and risk burning out your motor when you could just use one and then replace it when it dies out? It still does its job! Take Tuna's advice and say buh bye to the 18 volt mod... ;)

Keep the warp don't get rid of it. :)

PBinOR
11-25-2003, 11:08 AM
Just to clarify what I was saying about 2x 9 volts...

If they are wired in series, you could have two 9volt batteries connected to your warp. This would have absolutely no adverse affect on your motor since the output would still be 9 volts. You would just have twice the battery life.

If they are wired in parallel, then the voltage would double. I have no idea how long a warp could run on 18 volts.

If they are wired in parallel with a 7812 regulator between them and the warp, then the warp is only getting 12volts. I can tell you that the warp screams when given 12 volts, the battery life is not that bad, and I have been running mine like that for over a year.

Series= red to red to warps red, black to black to warps black.
Parallel= red to black to warp's red, black to red to warps black.
12 volt= complicated. refer to:
http://obdo.flipty.com/oldindex-asdlfna3wo98374230nlkdsanlksa2h3i423k.html

top right of the page, "12volt warp"

Have fun!!

FRENZY
11-25-2003, 11:15 AM
My teamate uses the Proteam mod...would you reccomend that?

PBinOR
11-25-2003, 11:21 AM
Yes. That is the "storebought" version of the 12 volt mod. I have never actually used one, but I know that they are just a 7812 reg. inside that shrink tube. I have heard they are well built.

One thing.. if you are using the sensor on the warp and not intellifeed, you will need to do the break in on the sensor/motor again once you start feeding it 12 volts. At least that's my experience with them.

Doobie
11-25-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by PBinOR
Yes. That is the "storebought" version of the 12 volt mod. I have never actually used one, but I know that they are just a 7812 reg. inside that shrink tube. I have heard they are well built.

One thing.. if you are using the sensor on the warp and not intellifeed, you will need to do the break in on the sensor/motor again once you start feeding it 12 volts. At least that's my experience with them.

That is what Trina and I use and they are very clean to install. It just plugs in, so if you don't want to use it, unplug it and go with one 9V. Easy! Easy is good :)

FRENZY
11-25-2003, 03:21 PM
Cool, I'm gonna try out my teammates 12 volt mod today on my warp.

I had my warp linked to my intelli since last year and I have not had any problems since, just flawless performance. That's why I never bothered getting the Proteam mod (although it is tempting), but two weeks ago magikstik28 (Aoer) hooked one up to his warp and it was spinning like no tomorrow. Soooo, I just might end up buying one sometime this week.

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
11-25-2003, 04:19 PM
Yah he wired it in a series, im just goin to get rid of one of the little battery connectors and sodder the wires together.

Also i dont plan on getting rid of my warp, when it worked it was wonderful, but since i bought it used i expected to need to work out a few kinks

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
11-25-2003, 06:49 PM
Grrrrrrrrrrr..... I just got rid of the 18 volt mod and now my warp can't even produce enough power to load

FRENZY
11-25-2003, 09:28 PM
Get that mod back! :eek:

I just tried out my friends on my warp and loved it, so I bought it from him. he's planning on buying another one anyway. :)

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
11-25-2003, 10:21 PM
Well miraciously (sp?) my warp works no fricking clue how either:confused:

stalker0
11-25-2003, 11:26 PM
hmm your in a real pickle have u tried pm rob?