PDA

View Full Version : New Rail Suggestion for Tac-One....*cough*RougeFactor*cough*

Severe
11-24-2003, 09:25 PM
RogueFactor or anyone with the skills..

Personman was kind enough to post an updated picture of the Tac-One.
http://server4.uploadit.org/files/241103-DCP01629.JPG

However, and I may be alone in this opinion, it appears to be sporting the new AGD rail, which looks horrible on the Tac-One.

So, having seen some of RF's work on rails, I thought perhaps this would be an opportunity for him to crank out another one. In this case, I think angular is preferable. The more military the better. And with your adjustable position front grip I think it would be a winner.

Perhaps you could extend it out to flush up with the end of the Tac-One body. Another idea would be to include a "D" ring at the rear for guys who use slings...like me.

I think there's a big opportunity here to help the Tac-One fullfil it's desire to look more mil-sim. Even a custom gas-through that looked similar to a magazine would even be pretty easy to do I would think.

Anyway, just a suggestion...anyone else think this would contribute to the over all Tac-One concept?

Tunaman
11-24-2003, 09:31 PM
A Rogue rail WOULD be awesome on this or any other marker. The problem is that TK could put any rail he wanted to on there but cost becomes the sole issue. This marker has to remain at "entry level" pricing and tricking out the rail would bring the cost up too much. That is it in a nutshell. It will be quite an awesome marker for the price.

Severe
11-24-2003, 09:38 PM
I'm completely on-board with the cost prohibative issue of a Tac-One specific rail.

In the case of the Tac-One, I personally, would rather have it come with the old style AGD rail.

The suggestion for a Rouge-rail was merely an opportunity for Rouge to offer another great upgrade. While I don't own any of his products, I certainly can see he has some talent and was my first guess for someone who could do this.

I would ultimately like to see kits for the Tac-One that allow it to be 'dressed' up as much as ...say...the A5.

Burphel
11-25-2003, 01:59 AM
Just a suggestion, but instead of putting a regular grip mount, how about sticking with the theme, extending the rail 2" up front and having a Weaver/Pitcanny rail underneath the barrel as well. I guess you could set it up so that it'd take standard grips too. Flat black anno would be the obvious choice.

A lot of mil-spec companies already make foregrips/accessories that use said rail, and you can use if for a light/pointer device and free up one of the other rails for a sight if you want 2.

Granted, even as a certified scenario nut, I think 3 rails is more than necessary, but I'm sure there's a market out there for it.

Torbo
11-25-2003, 03:52 AM
those things would be unnessacary for alot of people. Id assume that it would make more sense economically to have a gun that more would buy and add on to, then a gun that costs more than what people want to spend.

cledford
11-25-2003, 08:16 AM
Remember the rail in the pic is plastic and just a model - the real thing will be powercoated. I do agree on the point. While the new rail looks awesome for the regular mag line it looks out of place on the TAC1. I know that AGD is trying to keep the price down - so it is a tough compromise. The issue is that the scenario guys love Milsim to the Nth degree - but it appears Airgun is trying to reduce operational costs buy having components that interchange between multiple lines.

Maybe they should consider a entry level Tac1 and a "full-house" model? There has got to be the option for add-ons - the AGD dealers will need them to make profits, and the owners will crave them. No offense to Rogue (I love his work) but I'd like to see AGD start a line of parts like the GTA stuff.

The D ring is a great idea also.

The rail for military style for-grips is an awesome idea and would be a real "killer" feature. By this I mean you are then hitting back against the A5 on it's own turf. Right now guys are modding the Tippmann marker to accept those grips (The MP5 style os stock) - it would be real leverage for the Tac1 to factory accept the real stuff with no jury rigging.

Again, the best idea might be an upgraded rail that would be an add-on.

Anyone got ideas on how to make the gun compatible with a CAR style stock. That single feature would really put the Tac1 in the same league with the Tippmann.

I'm going to cross post this in the official Tac1 thread, it can be found at the top of the previous page - it is a sticky...

-Calvin

hhomes
11-25-2003, 11:05 AM
i think that rail looks pretty cool..even cooler on a ule body tho prolly
:p

Burphel
11-25-2003, 11:29 AM
Be careful about the generalizations there. Not all scenario players are mil-simmers. If you ask me, a lot of the mil-sim stuff is extra weight and surface area for paint to break on.

While the Tac-one most likely will appeal to people who want to have a 'realistic' looking marker, the main issue is practicality. If somebody really wants a 'realistic' marker, they're going to get one from Core or from a customizer and it'll look just like the firearm its based on, but be a bit impractical for carrying around all day and shooting with a mask on. Having a mil-sim gun and fresh pressed cammies at most scenarios is just like having a match-anno'd, chrome highlighted bling-bling gun and color-coordinated jersey/pants at tourneys. Most of the people there are going to look at you and wonder if your game is as good as your fashion sense.

Recballers have been asking since center feed became popular for a gun that offered an offset sight rail. And while they're at it, might as well put one on either side for those that like to do sniper stuff and want a scope for spotting and a red dot to actually aim with. And, oh cool, I have a NV scope, this'd make it a lot easier to lash to the gun and more secure, or I don't have NV and I want a friggin' flashlite so I can night-blind people. Weaver rails have the most accessories available and are sturdy enough to handle something like NV or a big scope. This gun isn't about looks, it's about answering a call that's been overlooked for a long time.

SlartyBartFast
11-25-2003, 11:40 AM
Why does the Tac-One even need a rail? Why doesn't the body incorporate the rail like the X-mag bodies?

Seems it should be cheaper to produce a square bottomed body than a curved one.

Severe
11-25-2003, 11:50 AM
The Tac-One needs a rail because it's not designed or intended to replace the current. It's a modified Slug body, and thus a drop-in solution.

A complete body/rail replacement would be interesting, but I'm thinking the cost to produce would be higher. Perhaps if the Tac-One really takes off, that might be the next evolution of the concept.

SlartyBartFast
11-25-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Severe
A complete body/rail replacement would be interesting, but I'm thinking the cost to produce would be higher.

That doesn't make sence. A body/rail replacement would require one correct flat cut to a block to give the correct height above the grip frame. Or if tolerances are an issue, a spcaer like the PTP micromags. But ONE correct tolerance body/grip frame is much easier than the multiple tolerances of body/rail/gripframe. IMO

Big'n slo
11-25-2003, 12:21 PM
My suggestion for a matching rail
http://home.comcast.net/~jeffreykier/Pics/newrail.jpg

Easy enough to machine, and matches the TAC body.
Sorry for the crappy photochop..

CaliWagon31
11-25-2003, 12:59 PM
^

Great job man, that looks great

Severe
11-25-2003, 08:36 PM
The more I look at the body the way it is now, the more I really think AGD should drop the part of the body that extends over the valve.

I'm not sure how easy, if at all, it will be to mount something on the right side of the body due the air mounting. That is, if you use a 90 degree anything and run line to the gas-through. Wouldn't that put the connect squarely in the picatinny rails way?

At least if they removed the excess material, users could order the marker with the 'reverse' valve if they intend to use the right side rail as the primary mounting point.

As for the single body concept, I simply do not know what would be involved with that, and as such just assume it would be more expensive.

The rail photoshopped above is nice, but I don't see how addition groves on the rail would offer any additional value. When I think of an alternative rail, I see something that is not rounded, possibly flat sides that meet up with the Tac-One body smoothly, with a simple 'D' ring in the back. But that's me....