PDA

View Full Version : RC Paintball Super tank

ScatterPlot
11-25-2003, 02:33 PM
I am thinking about buildign an RC Paintball Supertank. Stuff like this has been posted before I realize, but I think this may be a new idea. I plan on using one of those old Powerwheels cars. You know, the little kid rideo-ons? They are big and are designed for carrying like a 60-lb payload. If you took off the plastic frame part you could save another probly 10 pounds. The control electronics would not be too hard. I plan on using some relays to control the movement of it instead of speed controllers, for obvious money reasons. The steering will be somewhat hard. I need some help on that one. I could replace the steering wheel with a pulley or a cogwheel. I need suggestions on that part. For the protection, Home Depot 1/4" plexiglass will be plenty hard and plenty cheap. For the armaments, I am thinking like an electro Spyder or something cheap. I also plan on attaching a pneumatic cannon (used as a shotgun) to it if I can get the safety part worked out. It would need to be semi-auto, which I would need some help on making. Also a landmine-type thing would be good (I gotta give credit to Snyper on that one for his Operation:Moving Bomb). A small wireless camera and a cannibalized LCD screen from a camcorder would make up a type of monitoring system to use.
So... on to your part...
Any suggestions? Especially on the steering part? Also the pneumatic cannon would need to be semi-auto as much as possible. I've had some ideas for that in the past, but they're pretty complex and would be hard to get right. So I'll try to post some pics as I find different things for it, the first of which being a Power Wheels car. Anyone know where to get one of those for cheap? If you happen to have one and are in TN I could probably buy it off you or if you wanted you could donate it to me... :). I might even put your team name or your name on the thing somewhere...
Anyways-suggestions?

Big'n slo
11-25-2003, 03:17 PM
Cool Idea

If I remember correctly, most of the 4 wheeled powerwheels
use two motor/gearbox assemblies (one per rear wheel)
Therefore for steering you could lock the front wheels straight and make up "tank treads" for each side. Then to steer you would only power one side or the other.

Good luck and keep us updated

ScatterPlot
11-25-2003, 04:48 PM
Sweet, I didnt know that. I suspected but I didn't know for sure. That would make steering MUCH easier. Thanks for the info! Now to find one...

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
11-27-2003, 03:01 PM
that will be somewhat hard to aim with that thing

personman
11-27-2003, 03:15 PM
I think it would be alot more fun if you actually got in it :p

ScatterPlot
11-27-2003, 05:36 PM
lol that would be sweet

Nimec
12-09-2003, 01:43 PM
hey i think thats a great idea and it would be a lot of fun, but i wanted to bring to your attention that if you were to tank tread the wheels it would slow it down severly, and put large amounts of strain on the motors when turning. i just thought i would point that out to you.
Good luck.

TheTramp
12-09-2003, 04:36 PM
If you use two normal radio controlers you could have control over the forward/turning movment with one and use the other to turn a turret and tilt the gun (ie raise/lower the barrel). You'd also need a third control (only a button really) to fire the gun (E-frame Spyder is a good cheap idea).

This would allow pretty good aiming especialy if you had that video camara move with the gun.

Of course you'd probably need a driver and a gunner if you want to get the most out of the tank.