PDA

View Full Version : Airsoft - What do You Think?

AGD
11-26-2003, 03:05 PM
AO,

I have had several discussions with field owners that are having airsoft days and selling airsoft guns. They play paintball style games but use the honor system instead of refs.

What are your thoughts on this? Is it an alternative to paintball?

AGD

edweird
11-26-2003, 03:11 PM
Eigh its fun... but I prefer to keep my airsoft and my paintball seperate. The fans of each are diffrent beasts and well dont mix well imho.

Although if I was a feild owner I would prolly explore this as another cashcow... but I would build seperate feilds for it to well capture the Counter Strike feel of it. After all last thing I want is some airsoft kids ruining my sup air feilds.

Um and since we on the topic... whats brewing in your mind TK? AO-Airsoft side games?

68Classic
11-26-2003, 03:12 PM
I personally think Airsoft is awesome. I always play with my friends in people back yards and set up our own "speedball" feild. We usually play Airsoft when no one is playing paintball, or no one has any supplies. The only problem I have with airsoft is that you can never really know for sure if you got the person out. It could be an alternative to paintball. I like it, but not as much as paintball.

dansim
11-26-2003, 03:13 PM
while i say its not an alternitive to paintball im not saying its not entirely releated, i mean the two sports do share alot of charateristics(sp) i beleive they differ too much to be an alternative for each other
maybe for scenario but not normal walk on

mrbrutal
11-26-2003, 03:41 PM
Im starting to get into airsoft. Just got a gun recently. I have a friend who sets up airsoft games at pb fields when they are not in use. The play dynamics are slightly different because of the equipment. I feel bvoth sports are opposite sides of the same coin. However, I dont understand why one side has to trash on the other

Python14
11-26-2003, 03:42 PM
I love airsoft. It's a different kind of game and player.
It's fun though to be able to just go out and have fun. Not really worrying about being PC or anything.

All in all, it's a whole lot of fun. I really enjoy it.

FooTemps
11-26-2003, 03:42 PM
Airsoft is fun but it's different from paintball. I'd keep them seperate.

-=Squid=-
11-26-2003, 03:45 PM
IF you like rec ball, MABE. Tourneys? no. Personally, although many people play a paintball style airsoft game, I think that airsoft is more of a target practice type game, just for fun you know. Surprising question coming from AGD. You considering entering another market?

Jeffy-CanCon
11-26-2003, 03:45 PM
I have a couple of friends who have tried it, and one of them has abandoned paintball for it.

From what I hear, and have seen on the internet, it is not a game for rental groups, and is thus aimed at an entirely different audience than paintball. The honour system means you really have to trust the people you are playing with. That only works in small groups, or at best in groups of groups. Paintball has never depended on the honour system, yet at every big game or tourney I've ever been in I've heard whining about cheating, even when referees are present & active, and the hits should be easily verifiable. I can't imagine Airsoft being successful at the same sort of numbers as paintball. From what I have been told, 150 players is a huge regional event in Airsoft. The equivalent in paintball would be 10 times the size.

Personally, airsoft gives me the creeps. I mostly play paintball in the woods, and wear some camo, but it's just a game, and I treat it lightly. I wouldn't want to play a game where I had to call someone "sergeant", wear matching camo uniforms or spend $100 on a tactical flashlight. That doesn't sound like fun to me.

ubooze
11-26-2003, 03:51 PM
Mr. Kaye, I assume you are talking about Fox River Games and even CPX recent ventures into airsoft.

Airsoft does look cool, a nice simulation. Its an alternative to games such as Socom 2: U.S. Navy Seals(on PS2). BUT, it shouldn't be played on paintball fields such as airball and hyperball. That is NOT what its for. CPX is very well suited for airsoft. Bedlam and Armegeddon(the two fields used by the Chicago Airsoft Association) are really a nice place to play. They give an urban setting to the simulation, and most wood fields without any mand made bunders is nice, it adds to the game.

I dunno bout, Fox River, I think they have a lot of tourney fields....and once again I feel they shouldn't be used. The wood fields on the other hand, ought to be void of man-made bunkers(unless its like a pillbox or trenches).

Airsoft is a different beast.... at least it was until it was until it was played on paintball fields.

I think fields ought to build a separate airsoft field if they choose to venture into the business. Either make it really nice and big or urban and indoors. Give it more of a true battle situation, unlike a 100 foot long pball field.

Thats my two cents.

CaliWagon31
11-26-2003, 04:09 PM
i did the airsoft thing for a little, the guns look kool and all, but it is hard to tell when people are hit, paintball is still the best

hitech
11-26-2003, 04:17 PM
I looks interesting to me. However, after playing paintball for over 15 years I just can't imagine how the honor system is going to work. And although interesting I also don't see it as a replacement for paintball. It looks to me like a different game.

I might be willing to give it a try, but have never had the opportunity.

jonnyboy34
11-26-2003, 04:17 PM
I am a avid airsofter and paintballer, paintball has almost entirely different gameplay. Airsoft is much more MIL-SIM. It uses things like assualt and breach teams, snipers, recon, artillery squads and a much more tactical game play. Im not saying that paintball isn't tactical and complex because it, but airsoft tactics are based solely on milatary style techniques. But even with all these diffences i know alot of cross over players who play both. But airsoft should not be brought onto to paintball fields or else you wouldnt be playing airsoft in the way it was meant to be played.

LudavicoSoldier
11-26-2003, 04:20 PM
The only thing I like Airsoft for is to re-live my "cool toy gun" childhood. I might not be able to own a real steel AR-15 or AK-47, but I can own an exact copy that shoots 6mm BBs. I just think Airsoft guns are cool toys, thats about it. I'll stick to paintball for playing.

GoatBoy
11-26-2003, 04:47 PM
As with paintball, there seem to be a few branches of airsoft as well.

You've got the kind where kids play it sort of like paintball, but without the paintballs of course. It's a fun alternative to paintball because it's not as messy or expensive; most of the time when kids mention airsoft to me, they talk about playing it "in some field behind their neighborhood." I've considered picking it up myself, maybe with some coworkers (we seem to have a lot of empty space inside our office building :P). I'm not big into BDU's; I just like to shoot people. This is more like "recball" for us I think.

Then you have the more formal game players, somewhat analogous to our "scenario" players in paintball. These guys focus more on movements and tactics and have more limited engagements. And, oh yes, they like to dress up, and they like their guns to look realistic. (A point I tried to make on the tac-one thread, but I see it went clear over everyone's heads).

Technically, per rules, I see no reason why you can't play a paintball field with airsoft guns. If you're like me and just want to shoot someone, why not?

The fatal presumption being that rules are supposed to be followed. Not even enforced, just FOLLOWED.

I can't imagine playing airsoft with the same kind of scum I play paintball with. Of my little circle of friends (not including friends I have made at the paintball field), I am the only one who plays paintball. So I HAVE to play as a walkon at the fields with various other riff-raff.

Airsoft seems to remind me of the good ol' days of paintball, where the quote "Paintball is a game of honor" used to be a part of the daily rule speech at the field. The crowd's certainly changed as everyone knows.

Is it an alternative to paintball? I definitely think it is. What's it's future? That one I'm not so certain of. Who's to say it won't undergo a similar path to paintball? Paintball grew, and as it did, it fell prey to the weaknesses of our society at large. If airsoft grows the same way, it won't have the saving graces of a quarter-sized paint splat.

For me, airsoft would be a REAL alternative to the rare occasions where you would have an unreffed pick up game with some friends. Considering the cost, I'd go for the airsoft, hands down.

Funny this should come up. I happened to be looking up what was so magic about "green gas" this morning. I was also thinking of certain parallels between paintball and airsoft equipment as well. I'm getting close to buying an airsoft gun just for playing around with and seeing what it's like.

SlartyBartFast
11-26-2003, 05:15 PM
Forget Airsoft, check out the RAM-5R in the markers section at http://www.paintball-china.com/.

Shoots 0.40 or 0.43 in paintballs out of cartidges in semi or automatic.:eek:

And the 'S3' sure looks like a tippy. :D But the max velocity seems lacking (220 fps max). :p

Somewhere that sells them: http://www.asiapaintball.com/products/RealActionMarker.htm

cphilip
11-26-2003, 05:54 PM
I like pie...

Tyger
11-26-2003, 07:18 PM
Goatboy hit it there.

Thing is airsoft is where paintbll was many moons ago. They play on honor beaue, as far as I can tell, they really jave no 'prizes' to win. I's kinda small, as a game goes, so it's got more of an intimate feel to it.

To get to the main question of the thread, is it an alternative to paintball? Yes and no. Paintball has a diffrent set of rules, plays totally diffrently, and isn't really the same. I mean, we rib lazer tag gamers, but they have more ways to cheat at their game then we might think. It's a diffrent game, diffrent rules, diffrent tech. Same concept, diffrent game.

It's another game, it's not a replacement. In a way, I'm more than happy to let them do their thing. I personally don't like realistic guns, but if it turns your crank then who am I to say anything?

-Tyger

camilion705
11-26-2003, 10:29 PM
I used to play springer airsoft games on my paintball field. It helped me out with snapshooting and 2000 bbs costs $10-$15.... Plus you dont make a painty mess of yourself.

Airsoft and Paintball are like many have said, very different. I do think that airsoft could be a better option over woodsball...

I love both. Just bought my 1st GBB (Gas Blowback) pistol recently. Very fun! Some think that bbs sting a bit more than a paintball. I dont really notice though.

karphead
11-26-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by -=Squid=-
IF you like rec ball, MABE. Tourneys? no. Personally, although many people play a paintball style airsoft game, I think that airsoft is more of a target practice type game, just for fun you know. Surprising question coming from AGD. You considering entering another market?

I sometimes wonder if Tom's questions are over-analyzed. Maybe he is thinking about playing and wants to know how much fun it is.

personman
11-26-2003, 11:09 PM
I dunno, airsoft isnt all that great.. for one thing I think they hurt more but im not sure.. I was afraid to get hit after a bb put a dent in my friends garage door.. I have gotten hit by the spring ones though. I hate hop up. Who cares if it puts backspin on the bb, it sends the accuracy strait to hell. I owned an airsoft pistol battery powered bb gun, that was semi auto, and cost around 30 bucks. It was pretty cool, it was true semi (as fast as you can pull) so it was shooting at a decent speed. It diddnt shoot too fast velocity wise. The only problems: Hop up and the thing broke 3 times on me.. actually that was 3 seperate guns, I got them replaced each time. then I just traded it in for a spring pistol and a hell of alot of bbs. The spring aspect of the pistol was annoying, I mean who really wants to cock it back every time you fire? Well, I kept that for a while and sold it to a retard for more than I payed for it :p
Airsoft wouldnt be so bad if it diddnt rely on the honor system, the guns diddnt shoot as fast (for house friendly playing), and the decent guns werent so damn expensive (well, they are cheaper than paintball guns, but you would think battery powered guns should be less than $300 :rolleyes: )
Using airsoft as training for paintball is a GREAT idea though, I never thought of it before.

AGD
11-26-2003, 11:55 PM
No we are NOT thinking about doing anything in airsoft. It just seems to me like its coming on from a lot of directions at a low level. Like many of you I wonder where paintball is going and to be honest I can't tell. Maybe this is it maybe its not. One thing is for sure, I am very surprised at the number of people responding here that have tried it.

AGD

Tyger
11-27-2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by AGD
It just seems to me like its coming on from a lot of directions at a low level. Like many of you I wonder where paintball is going and to be honest I can't tell.

I don't think that airsoft will replace paintball on a rec level. Let's be honest, when I play walk-on, half the times I don't trust the refs to do thier jobs. What mkes me think all the players will be 100% honest with me.

Airsoft is best the way it is, small. Clubs who all know each other, where the honor system works. Paintball lost that a long time ago, for a lot of reasons (new rant there...) Paintball has the same honor system, in small groups of friends playing in the outlot behind Bob's Back 40. Just like Airsoft is.

That being said, I like paintball too much to drop it for airsoft which I have a bias against on a few levels. But, as I siad before, if it makes people happy, who am I to tell them not to do something?

-Tyger

Kaiser Bob
11-27-2003, 12:16 AM
They had an airsoft stand at IAO, so I picked up a little spring pistol. They are definitely fun for plinking, fast enough that they actually hit what you are aiming at, slow enough that you can chase people around with them more or less safely :)

Rope a Dope
11-27-2003, 12:31 AM
I have not tried Airsoft because I don't have the gay.

Thank you. :)

BTAutoMag
11-27-2003, 12:33 AM
well airsoft is cool and all but those small little things can sneak into different places that hurt...

NASurfer
11-27-2003, 01:11 AM
I just bought an airsoft gun recently. Ive been talking to alot of people about airsoft, and everyone has shown a huge amount of interest in it. I mean woodsball is pretty much how we all started out, and this kind of brings it back.

Personally, I think airsoft is awesome. Everything that bugs me about paintball, airsoft has solved. Reliability, accuracy, ball choppage, range, clips instead of hoppers, thats exactly why everyone i know is looking into it. The only negative to it is that no one will call hit cause you cant prove it. Of course i think paintballs are made for airsoft too (though i havent tried it).

If it wasent for the fact that there are no fields that play 24 hr airsoft games, i probably would have gotten rid of my paintbll gun by now (well, maybe not).

ntn4502
11-27-2003, 01:19 AM
its very childish, I stopped playing with toy guns when I was 7. To put both in the same catagory would be bringing back the 'hicks with guns' sterotype

hAppy
11-27-2003, 01:31 AM
to me, airsoft is one big fantasy games for immature teens

they wanna play cops + terrorists w/ realistic weapons, it makes them feel "better". i seen some airsoft catalogs, they have guys dressed up as terrorists w/ their AKs and its pretty creepy, i know if a cop saw that, he d shoot him in a split second, not a smart move to dress up for that.

airsoft is one big cop and terrorist game b/c you look like you re playing pretend in a building. its way too realistic. while pb is more like weird sexy faded guns, and colorful balloonish bunkers, and than the airsoft guns, truly realistic guns w/ a tiny orange tip...

Steelrat
11-27-2003, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by ntn4502
its very childish, I stopped playing with toy guns when I was 7. To put both in the same catagory would be bringing back the 'hicks with guns' sterotype

Dude, what do you think paintball is?

Though I, like happyazn, am afraid that the realism of the airsoft guns is going to get someone shot, I can see the entertainment value of the whole thing. Paintball is fun, but trying to pull of an actual mission with entry teams, snipers, etc etc also sounds fun.

Rope a Dope
11-27-2003, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by Steelrat

Dude, what do you think paintball is?

A sport, tag and some form of hide and go seek. We use hi-tech paintball markers like indy race car drivers use hi-tech cars.

Paintball is not "lets pretend we didn't wash out of police acedemy and became SWAT team members so lets get air guns that look just like real ones and pretend we're gonna kill a bunch of terrorists"

One is a sport, one is make believe.

I own firewrms and I own paintball markers. When I hold my paintball marker I think "I can throw lots of paint and tag someone out of the game so my team can win and the girls will think I'm buff." not "I wish this was a real gun I can pretend to kill people like in movies and get all the glory."

My post above that said "I don't have the gay so I don't play Airsoft" pretty much summed it up. :D

MarineRDNC
11-27-2003, 06:56 AM
Hmm, Alot of different views on the matter. I myself love both. Loving the military like I do, why wouldn't I like to play airsoft?(airsoft the right way I might add. the right way being Military Simulation, not playing on paintball fields.) Airsoft guns are copies made from exact molds of the actual weapon. I own an MP-5 springer and a Colt .45 1911 springer. I would have an AEG gun if I had the money but I play paintball more than I do airsoft. One of my friends from school that also plays at our local field, is really into airsoft now. He bought a Tokyo Marui M4-Carbine (an exact replica of my actual M4-Carbine hehehe). He brought it down the field one day to let us shoot it. It's weight is of an actual M4. Making it identical to a real gun except that it fires plastic BB's.

I've read some of you saying that airsoft is IMMATURE... How do you figure? Just because you don't like it makes it immature? In China and Japan and alot of other countries, airsoft is their version of our paintball. Check out some sites like www.Redwolfairsoft.com and you'll see what I'm saying. They have big games world wide like we do with our NPPL. They have videos just like we do of our tournaments and stuff like PUSH. Don't rip on airsoft because you don't like or understand it. Airsoft wasn't meant for kids anyhow. It was meant for mature adults and MATURE teenagers, to try their hand at Military Operations. It's the closest people can actually get to doing a military operation with lifelike guns, without actually being in the Military. Paintball is totally different as we know. Paintball is a rec and tourney sport where anyone and everyone can grab a mask and a marker (along with knowing the rules of play) and go out and have some fun shooting at each other.

Please, go to the site I provided and check out other airsoft websites before you critisize me.

Tunaman
11-27-2003, 09:08 AM
In NJ, Airsoft guns are now ILLEGAL. And for good reason. They look too much like real guns. We dont need kids going to Walmart and buying real-looking fake guns. This just leads to bloodshed and lots of pissed off cops. I think the sport is the worst thing to happen to or compare to paint ball. Stay away from this one TK...they lead to trouble.

Sir_Brass
11-27-2003, 09:19 AM
Airsoft is excellent from what I hear. I know several hardcore sceanrio players who play airsoft a little and they love it. If you like milsim realism and paintball, then you'll like airsoft: it's for that kind of player - the honorable, hardcore military-style player.

Also, you don't have to go playing airsoft like you're actually in the military. Heck, I'm sure you could set up a game where it was two mercenary groups fighting each other or something. The ideas for games in airsoft is as limitless as it is for paintball.

SpongeBobSquarePants
11-27-2003, 09:20 AM
In my personal opinion, I think I know what your getting at and I say don't do it. If you start to put out any line of airsoft products I think you will take alot of heat form all the major paintball companys along with many players. So stick with what your good at and thats paintball. :)

p8ntball1016
11-27-2003, 09:22 AM
i stopped playing airsoft when i was 12. we still shoot each other with them but thats about it.

shartley
11-27-2003, 09:33 AM
As has been posted, Airsoft is a great Simulation Game. I don’t think it will ever get to the point of tournaments simply because of the realism of the equipment.

Where it can be argued that Paintball is a game of Tag, the same thing can’t be argued about Airsoft. Paintball can be argued to be similar to Super Soaker fights, and snowball fights… both of which involve hitting your opponent(s) with an object, and can involve some military style movement and tactics, but the participants don’t take the game THAT seriously (usually… LOL ;) ).

But Airsoft is fully focused on realism, and on combat.

Yes, there are some paintball markers that are made to look like real firearms, but that is not the norm. But with Airsoft, it IS the norm.

None of what I have posted is saying Airsoft is “bad”. I am sure I would enjoy playing it. Heck, I have enjoyed everything from real combat training, super soaker fights, laser tag, paintball, and even those toy guns that shoot the big plastic balls and foam discs. I think what would make any of those activities “bad” is the purpose of playing them, or the “intent” of the players.

I think Airsoft also opens the door to those who may like military things, but not be able to buy the real thing. And there is nothing wrong with that IMHO.

Because of the nature of the “equipment” however, I agree with regulating it. As Tuna pointed out, Airsoft guns can far too easily be confused for the real thing. And even though some have tried to say the same thing about paintball markers… bah…. the silhouettes of most paintball markers can easily be identified as such.

There is a reason why non firing “toy” guns require distinctions from real firearms, and if Airsoft guns are not required those same distinctions, then regulation of some sort should be required. Or as in NJ, they are outlawed.

I don’t however think that comparing paintball and Airsoft is a bad thing. We often compare sports to other sports or activities, but to point out differences. What I think would be bad, is to make the two sports/activities look too similar. They share some things in common, but they are really two different sports/activities….. and I personally like having a clear and distinct difference between them.

Paintball has fought hard to get rid of the stereotypes placed on it, which are in reality more fitting for Airsoft.

Again, this is not saying Airsoft is bad.

shartley
11-27-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Sir_Brass
Airsoft is excellent from what I hear. I know several hardcore sceanrio players who play airsoft a little and they love it. If you like milsim realism and paintball, then you'll like airsoft: it's for that kind of player - the honorable, hardcore military-style player.

Also, you don't have to go playing airsoft like you're actually in the military. Heck, I'm sure you could set up a game where it was two mercenary groups fighting each other or something. The ideas for games in airsoft is as limitless as it is for paintball.
You do realize that Mercs are actually “Private Military for Hire” right? ;) I think you proved a good point… sure you can have limitless ideas for games in Airsoft… As long as they revolve around war, or combat.

Paintball however, has some slight (and not so slight) differences…. It is about how far you take the simulation of combat.

Sir_Brass
11-27-2003, 09:51 AM
You do realize that Mercs are actually “Private Military for Hire” right?

Yeah, I know that. The point was that merc groups don't necessarilly have the strict command structure of a military: they can be anything from a gang of thugs who's loyalty sways on who's got more $$, to a very well trained paramilitary group.

Also, you most certainly can play games like capture the flag and other standard pball games in airsoft. You can play ANY game in airsoft that you can in paintball. It's just that airsoft people would rather do the scenario game thing.

Perosnally, I'd love to get some airsoft gear, some urban cammo, and some CT-looking gear, and go play some Rainbow Six - style games in an 'urban combat environment'. I've always liked "playing war", that isn't to say that I'm a warmonger, it's just that the little boy who loved to go out back with nerf guns and super soakers and have huge 'wars' with his friends is still alive and well inside this 20 year old (ok, almost 20. little more than a month left) college student who's studying Electrical Engineering.

If you're at the point of saying that playing war is childish and immature, then I pity you: you're letting your inner child die.

shartley
11-27-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Sir_Brass
If you're at the point of saying that playing war is childish and immature, then I pity you: you're letting your inner child die.
Can I safely assume that when you say “you”, you mean people in general and not me personally? ;)

Originally posted by shartley
I am sure I would enjoy playing it. Heck, I have enjoyed everything from real combat training, super soaker fights, laser tag, paintball, and even those toy guns that shoot the big plastic balls and foam discs.

:D

ADDED: The negative connotations surrounding “war games” is not about immaturity though. But that is another discussion all together. ;)

Strider
11-27-2003, 10:40 AM
To me airsoft represents the things in Paintball that I never cared for. Yes I play recball/woodsball.

Sir_Brass
11-27-2003, 11:11 AM
Can I safely assume that when you say “you”, you mean people in general and not me personally?

Of course :). And I also agree with keeping airsoft obviously seperate from paintball and not allowing the two to become merged in the minds of the ignorant masses. I think airsoft is cool and all, but paintball has been fighting the image of being used for paramilitary training and such, while airsoft hasn't really, b/c it's not as popular. It will eventually have to fight that fight, but lets hope that paintball will have already won that fight long before.

~WarpedRT#2~
11-27-2003, 12:39 PM
Strider has an amazing point. It represents the part of paintball that I never liked. Some of those guns for airsoft cost a fortune. Now I understand that our guns cost a fortune too, but still, these are BB guns. I dont care how real they look, they shouldnt cost more than $100. The rules in airsoft arent really established either. If you get hit on the side of your gun, you are still alive. In paintball, we dont allow this to happen. In a real war, if you lose your weapon, you are dead. If you hit someone, how do you know they just didnt lie to you and tell you that you didnt hit them? No marks, or any way to identify a hit. And I am also curious as to what kind of face protection you wear during this. I have a friend from school who says he's been hit in the face before, almost been shot in the eye many times.

Sir_Brass, it will NEVER fight that fight. Airsoft claims to immitate war. The guns look real. Any smart Airsoft player will admit that they are immitating war. There is no two ways about it. The guns look real, using military tactics, and calling it a war game doesnt help.

Sir_Brass
11-27-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by ~WarpedRT#2~
Strider has an amazing point. It represents the part of paintball that I never liked. Some of those guns for airsoft cost a fortune. Now I understand that our guns cost a fortune too, but still, these are BB guns. I dont care how real they look, they shouldnt cost more than $100. The rules in airsoft arent really established either. If you get hit on the side of your gun, you are still alive. In paintball, we dont allow this to happen. In a real war, if you lose your weapon, you are dead. If you hit someone, how do you know they just didnt lie to you and tell you that you didnt hit them? No marks, or any way to identify a hit. And I am also curious as to what kind of face protection you wear during this. I have a friend from school who says he's been hit in the face before, almost been shot in the eye many times.

Sir_Brass, it will NEVER fight that fight. Airsoft claims to immitate war. The guns look real. Any smart Airsoft player will admit that they are immitating war. There is no two ways about it. The guns look real, using military tactics, and calling it a war game doesnt help.

About face protection: I know of many airsoft players who will wear the lenses from the paintball masks, or not bother with the work, and just wear the whole paintball mask. JT nForcers seem to be popular, b/c they won't let the bb's through due to the way the vent holes are arranged in the mask.

Also, and I would NOT go around saying that airsoft costs a fortune if you go around with a mid-range to high end gun and shoot lots of paint . . . don't you even DARE say airsoft is expensive. Most of the AEG's I've seen that are high quality are between $200 and $400, that's MID RANGE for paintball guns. Also, 2000 rounds of HIGH QUALITY paintballs will cost you around $70. 2000 rounds of high quality airsoft BB's costs about $5. Also, you don't have to pay for your projectile acceleration. AEG's use batteries, which charge from your wall, so no addition $$ is spent to charge your batteries since it'll be only pennies added onto your electric bill if you charge and discharge your batteries alot.

Airsoft is MUCH more cost friendly than paintball, BY FAR. If I hadn't gotten into paintball first, I would be an airsoft player instead and say "no thanks, it's far too expensive" to paintball. Also take into mind that airsoft players shoot less than paintball players, and thus that $5 they paid for .20g or .25g bb's goes WAY FARTHER than the $70 we pay for a case of marbalizers.

I asked the same question about player honesty, and from a regular paintball player (read: can take his paintball welts like a man), and he said (this is summarizing his words)
"Oh, you KNOW when you're hit, and if you hit someone you'll see it. It stings like a b!tch, especially if it's on open skin. Unless you have great control over your reflexes, you won't be able to hide getting hit b/c you'll flinch visibly. And if you try and shake it off, you'll continue to get shot. Airsoft players also happen to be more honorable and trustworthy than your every-day walk-on recball player."

MarineRDNC
11-27-2003, 01:16 PM
About Price: How can you say airsoft is espensive and shouldnt be over $100? Paintball is BY FAR hell of a lot more expensive. I mean good god, it's some metal molded and milled to look cool and shoot paint at high rates of speed. I've seen car's go cheaper than some paintball guns. AN ACTUAL CAR. A giant piece of metal, that transports people places. Think of all the work that goes into making an engine and the interior and exterior of a car. I mean I love paintball and everything but prices are freaking crazy!What do titanium boomsticks cost? Like $150.00 if you're lucky? A freaking barrel, a piece of metal! It's outrageous. The only way airsoft compares to the price of an expensive paintball gun (angels, timmys, matrix, emags, etc.) is when you get into the SAW's (Squad Automatic Weapon) or an M-60. They are crafted exactly like the real thing, weight and all, and hold around 1,500 rounds in it at a time. They are the ones that cost about $1,000 bucks or more.

shartley
11-27-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by MarineRDNC
About Price: How can you say airsoft is espensive and shouldnt be over $100? Paintball is BY FAR hell of a lot more expensive. I mean good god, it's some metal molded and milled to look cool and shoot paint at high rates of speed. I've seen car's go cheaper than some paintball guns. AN ACTUAL CAR. A giant piece of metal, that transports people places. Think of all the work that goes into making an engine and the interior and exterior of a car. I mean I love paintball and everything but prices are freaking crazy!What do titanium boomsticks cost? Like $150.00 if you're lucky? A freaking barrel, a piece of metal! It's outrageous. The only way airsoft compares to the price of an expensive paintball gun (angels, timmys, matrix, emags, etc.) is when you get into the SAW's (Squad Automatic Weapon) or an M-60. They are crafted exactly like the real thing, weight and all, and hold around 1,500 rounds in it at a time. They are the ones that cost about $1,000 bucks or more.
I can not argue with that at all..... ;)

Minimag1268
11-27-2003, 02:26 PM
i personally like it because it is a cheaper way of playing paintball or if there isnt a game on for the week.

hAppy
11-27-2003, 03:08 PM
airsoft make people violent
some people end up thinking that they re reallllllly kool now w/ their GUN. plus you can totally take over a bank w/ airsoft guns and thats why they should be banned

its severly stupid to carry one around or display in your house. its ok w/ pb cus your gun doesnt seem to look normal or intimidating. airsoft is just freakin scary. my mom would beat the **** out of me if she saw one of those in my house. anyone who doesnt know about airsoft will see an airsoft gun as a real gun. this is where the cops come into the picture...

MarineRDNC
11-27-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by xXhAppyAznXx
some people end up thinking that they re reallllllly kool now w/ their GUN. plus you can totally take over a bank w/ airsoft guns and thats why they should be banned

its severly stupid to carry one around or display in your house. its ok w/ pb cus your gun doesnt seem to look normal or intimidating. airsoft is just freakin scary. my mom would beat the **** out of me if she saw one of those in my house. anyone who doesnt know about airsoft will see an airsoft gun as a real gun. this is where the cops come into the picture...

This is why I said what I said before... airsoft is for adults or mature older teens. MEANING... people that it is meant for should use it in the same manor that you would a real gun. And almost always airsoft guns are sold with orange/red/yellow tips on the muzzle. I'm 16 years old and I own 2 airsoft guns, numerous bbguns, and 4 REAL guns, 2 of which are assault rifles (an M4-Carbine, and an AK-47). And because I am a mature teen, I wouldn't brandish my real guns in public nor my airsoft guns. You mentioned that you could hold up a bank with an airsoft gun. Well thats true, but I could also go into a bank and hold up the bank by slipping the teller a note saying I'm going to kill everyone I see if she doesn't give me all the money in the vault.

So what I'm trying to get at is that it's not what you have and what looks real, its how the person acts. Ever heard the phrase "Guns don't kill people, People kill people" This goes in to affect right here.

~WarpedRT#2~
11-27-2003, 11:43 PM
It isnt expensive? I've seen MP5 replicas for sale for $400. I know some are more. It is expensive, if you want it to be. It's like if you buy a $30 airsoft gun, thats the equivolent to a BE Talon in paintball. I see sniper rifles for $300 and up. That is alot for a bb gun.

Edit: Oh yeah, found several machine guns, most over $1000, one is actually over $2000, and many sub machine guns for over $500.

Dubstar112
11-28-2003, 04:48 AM
Ive tried airsoft. Never played in a real big scenario thing, but me and some friends did run around the neighborhood shooting eachother. (prolly a bad idea, but in the name of fun i wouldnt hesitate to do it again...)

logamus
11-28-2003, 10:40 AM
i like the idea behind airsoft. my fav field where i play is a very close quarters urban setting. i like the idea behind airsoft and the training and simulation aspect, but something about it makes me think it should be left to police and military people. i personally feel that the realistic nature of the guns used is only going to cause problems. stories of kids shooting up cars and storefronts with paintball guns are fairly common, that only gets worse with airsoft.

one of the hosts of the morning radio station that i listen too reccently bought his oldest son an airsoft gun. and like kids will do his son and his friends were playing around in the neighborhood. someone saw a "person dressed in all black and carring an m16" and they called the cops. then the cops had no idea they were airsoft guns and drew his sidearm and had a kid on the ground.

now i realize that airsoft is intended to be played in managed areas and such, but we all know that paintball guns are only discharged in safe areas too right. i personally wouldnt be upset at all airsoft was sold the way actual firearms are.

Sir_Brass
11-28-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by logamus

now i realize that airsoft is intended to be played in managed areas and such, but we all know that paintball guns are only discharged in safe areas too right. i personally wouldnt be upset at all airsoft was sold the way actual firearms are.

Fine with me: I'm old enough to buy firearms, and since I won't do anything illegal with an airsoft gun OR a real firearm, I don't mind having "gun registration" for my airsoft guns if I ever get them. Just don't make me pay a buttload of money for the registration.

ß.C.
11-28-2003, 12:01 PM
airsoft is cool, I've played and it's fun. But having whole masses of people using the honor system can cause problems. All in all airsoft is fun and it a cheap alternative to paintball

11-28-2003, 10:32 PM
Me and my friends just have airsoft fights in the house they are like big kid nerf guns. It usually starts with someone saying lets shoot the target and then someone gets smart and shoots someone else with the gun some place where it will hurt like the hand or toe and then it turns into a war.

LaW
11-28-2003, 10:43 PM
I had an airsoft gun when I used to intern at a software place. We would go around having shootouts in the office

When I was a manager in fast food there were some people around my age working there that gave up paintball to play airsoft. I got in numerous arguments as to why airsoft will never grow tot he level that paintball has grown too and these kids would argue against that without any possible reasoning behind it.

Sure if you just play paintball in the backyard with a couple buddies everyweek its a good alternative... but if you play paintball a lot more, weekly lets say and play out of state etc... I just cant see it replacing paintball in a mainstream kind of way

p8ntballsnowman
11-28-2003, 11:39 PM
I just run around my backyard with 20 spring pistols with some of my freinds, and its a lot of fun. Although you can barely feel it from more than 15 feet away. Its also really fun to buy the mini electric guns (about 25$ full auto, and runs on a 9 volt battery) Its perfect for inside running around the basement. Their no way i would ever seriously take it up, just because not many people play, and most of the people that do play play in the woods. I also dont like the bbs, because sometimes you dont even know if you are hit. It could have easily bounced off a wall, or the ground. I know if you are playing with spring guns, and wearing anything thicker than a t shirt from more than 20 feet away you wont feel it. Its just not worth it to spend lots of money on it in my opinion.

mag-hatter
12-27-2003, 01:26 PM
i think airsoft is pretty spectacular. i used to be a blockheaded ignoramous about it because the only airsoft gun i'd ever owned when i thought that was a pos spring beretta but then i got a better springer and started playing with my friends more and now i have a TM ak47 which is by far the sexiest gun ever and now i think airsoft is up there with paintball. dont get me wrong i still go paintballing its just that airsoft is about hmmmmmm lemme see.........40 bucks less than paintballing is and the cops dont mind if you're shooting in your backyard because its just little plastic bb's.

The Deacon
12-27-2003, 03:14 PM
I tried it last weekend, I was a bad guy for a tactical indoor competition.

Here's what I didn't get: they made the bad guys chrono under 250 to not scare the airsofters, but they all got to go to 300. They were the ones wearing full swat gear, we were just in normal clothes. It was sad, you'd pop up right behind a guy, unload a clip on him and he'd just turn around and nail you. I was like 10 feet away, MAYBE. That just pissed me off.

Honor systems just don't work, expecially in a competitive atmosphere.

And no, I don't think they hurt any more than paintball until this punk 13 year old blasted me with 13 bbs at point blank at 300 fps (and full auto was illegal, thanks kid).

I will admit that I had fun, the bad guys I was teamed with were really friendly so we had fun in between games.

I might pick up a spring loaded shotgun and get it to chrono 300 and play bad guy whenever they host those events but paintball is where it's at.

Chojin Man
12-27-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by ntn4502
its very childish, I stopped playing with toy guns when I was 7.

lol what do you call a marker then?

cledford
12-27-2003, 04:50 PM
Keep 'em seperate - airsoft is lame and to tell you the truth I see a lot of "trench coat mafia" types into it. If scenario paintball has an image problem (which I think is stupid - anti-paintballers will always be against the sport regardless of what type of clothing we do or don't wear) then the last thing we need is the airsost stuff making things worse. Also, paintballers already are challaged by the "honor system."

My idea was a blinding of the 2. Have a lazer-tagish maze with refs on top up on cat walks. Send 2 squads of 5, 10 or what ever in at each end with tippmann A5s with caps on the cyclone forcefeed instead of the hopper. This effectively limits the ammo to about 30 balls. Have them attempt to fight their way to the other side. Run real fast paced games - keep 'em moving (refs yell encouragement) and have on team dont their guns into a rack on the oposie side of the field they entered on as they emerge and turn the markers around to the next team entering from that direction. Run it real fast and simulate CQB. Charge 10 dollars a run.

Fills the need for both camps.

-Calvin

mag-hatter
12-27-2003, 07:16 PM
yeah its a lame sport i thought it was so lame, i spent 200 bucks on a gun!!!!

its not lame at all. you just havnt a) played with a good group of people b) played with good guns or c) played at all.

nerobro
12-28-2003, 02:16 AM
I've played airsoft a few times.
in fact, I own 6 guns..... one gas and a bunch of springers.

the game is fun around the house ;-) it's indoor paintball. Among friends.

I can see why people like it.. it just doesn't do it for me. The game is just "that" fake to me.

I just a week or two ago did some simunition training. it felt just like airsoft.

yes, there is a lot of low left ground swell. it's cheap to buy, cheap to play.

I think tyger has a point. The fact that there's no real prizes help keep people honest. But in the group I played with sever people ahve been rejected due to multiple cheating incidents.

Longstory short is that it doesn't "do" it for me. And in general, the serious players have always rubbed me the wrong way. (if my irc experience says anything about the real players...)

s.centralpirate
12-28-2003, 02:37 AM
after reading through the thread I can't say I have anything new and exciting to add to whats already been said, exceptr to comment about the honer system in paintball since just about everybody around here plays by the honor system and it works for us (curse us for living in a small community!)

Like alot of others have already said that airsoft and paintball are two different games... different equipment differnt tatics, different rules and different mindsets. heck before paintballing and airsoft came about kids in our town would go after each other with bb guns and bottle rockets (daisy model pump style guns w/a two pump rule :O ) shooting sport safty has come a long ways since then and I would have to atribute it first to paintball then to airsoft.

paintball for the most part whether it is rec ball or speedball is fast tatical moves and indivdual players making heroic (and sucidial) moves whereas airsoft is all about the last man/team standing /no casuilties type of play.

Fixion
12-28-2003, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by AGD
AO,

I have had several discussions with field owners that are having airsoft days and selling airsoft guns. They play paintball style games but use the honor system instead of refs.

What are your thoughts on this? Is it an alternative to paintball?

AGD

I play Airsoft (more than paintball at the moment). Its just as fun as paintball, although very different. I love both, but Airsoft is a lot more affordable. The one thing that I don't like is that there is some dishonesty that I have seen. Determining what is a ricochet and what is a dirrect hit can also be a problem. The field owners might not like the thousands of bbs on the ground all the time. I guess you could sweep them up (not on dirt naturally).

Edit: BTW I don't play with those POS springers. I use upgraded AEGs. My friend is an airsoft freak, he as like 6 AEGs, all fully upgraded, most with scopes. An other problem I have encountered is the lack of velocity regulations. Some ppl play with 280 fps, some with 400. Some people have guns that can fire off 100+ bbs in 4 seconds or less (my brothers P90), some have slower guns. Another big issue is the lack of face protection, most people just wear shooting glasses, some not even that. At the last game I went to, some guys tooth got chipped by a bb, the round was ended early because of that. My brother and I both wear paintball masks, the best facial protection ever.

Edit2: But since the style of play is so much different, I'd keep them separate.

Fixion
12-28-2003, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by s.centralpirate
paintball for the most part whether it is rec ball or speedball is fast tatical moves and indivdual players making heroic (and sucidial) moves whereas airsoft is all about the last man/team standing /no casuilties type of play.

Thats not allways ture, in the games I have played (again all upgraded AEGs), there was alot of teamwork. We usually play with a 5-10 man out rule, when the set number of people get out, they all go back in. When one team reaches a certain point or objective on the field they win. But in games where you don't get to 'respawn' people are more careful, you don't see as many bold moves.

1stdeadeye
12-28-2003, 08:49 AM
No. I don't think so. The honor system is nice, but not to realistic in a big battle. THey are just like civil war reanactors who die when they get tired.;)

Besides the guns look way to real for my taste. I like having fun. I don't like pointing an M-16 at someone. It is far and away to warlike and not as much fun-focused.
My $0.02.

Nomad
12-28-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by ~WarpedRT#2~
It isnt expensive? I've seen MP5 replicas for sale for $400. I know some are more. It is expensive, if you want it to be. It's like if you buy a $30 airsoft gun, thats the equivolent to a BE Talon in paintball. I see sniper rifles for $300 and up. That is alot for a bb gun.

Edit: Oh yeah, found several machine guns, most over $1000, one is actually over $2000, and many sub machine guns for over $500.

You're right. It can be expensive if you want to make it expensive, same as paintball.

Practically ALL stock AEGs go into a price range of $150-$300 (from Tokyo Marui). Add on the cost of a spare hi cap magazine ($30-$40), battery (a 9.6 3000 mAH goes about $35-$40), and a good charger with the little perks (TLP AC940E, $55), and a bag of .25g BBs (maybe $5-$15).

Total: $300 + $40 + $40 + $55 + $15 = $550 (bear in mind I'm overestimating some prices).

That gets you at the same level as just about every player out there, from those who's upgraded thier AEGs to hell to those the who just bought thiers. Why? Cause stock Tokyo Marui internals are considered some of the most durable internals availible. In fact most airsoft players around here usually recomend AGAINST uprading the internals since it reduces the overall lifetime of the AEG. Most the cash that goes into an AEG is cosmetic, from cool looking scopes (which no one really uses) to slings to metal bodies (which only make the gun heavier. Whoop di do).

Yes there are some LMGs that go for about $1000+. Most people who own em simply have them for bragging rights, not for actual play. It's like owning a Lamborghini or Porche. You usually just own them just so you can say to your friends that you own them. Or owning an X-Mag. No difference from the $1000 E-mag, only a fancier body and a $1500 price tag.

dcmander
12-28-2003, 06:53 PM
I would like to own an M4. It would be cool to play with around the house and mess with, but no one here would play with me so that doens't justify buying it.

It will never replace paintball. It seems like more of something to do with your friends, rather than going to the local paintball field on the weekends.

Nomad
12-28-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by dcmander
It will never replace paintball. It seems like more of something to do with your friends, rather than going to the local paintball field on the weekends.

Quoted for truth. :D

than205
12-28-2003, 11:31 PM
What are the airsoft balls made of?

DyNasTy
12-29-2003, 01:04 AM
Ok Paintball.. lets start htis off with it. Paintball is growing and continually there is more players getting into it yearly at a increasing growth. The sport is only taking a matter of time before it is truly recognized for what we all see it as. I mean if you can consider bowling a sport or figure skating, you cant tell me paintball's not. But anyways back on topic... Paintball however is struggling not in any huge terms but in the general public. We have all heard rumours and even seen some small 1 hour clips once a year of world cup or a few promotional things that no one else see's but the guy who stays up till 5 am on the same channel. Paintball will reach its peak once it is on TV, it is almost guarenteed that it will reach that goal. I mean theres not much more to do with it. We have electronic markers, rules, leagues and everything is setup so smoothly why would we want to hurt it. The only thing leaft is new inventions to what is already existing to modify it.

Airsoft however is a fresh sport, I use that term losely at the moment. However it has statisticly moved faster than paintball in the beginning. More players seem to be taking interest but its because they are into the realism of the weapon. It will never be seen as a sport by the general public. Just to the players that are htere to play the game. It is the most popular over in the Asia and Hong Kong where they take it to the extreme. Airsoft is kinda for the extreme scenario player. They use everything sometimes from parachuters, vehicles, boats, and tactical equipment whihc would not be accessible or even proper to use in paintball. This si where it differs from paintball, it is somewhat organized as well. Fields are opening, they have chrono limits as well, and bb sizes etc. These are all regulated by the lpayers for safety reasons. The honour system does suck but it's your choice to play and if you play you should be willing to do it properly. You can always come back later on :)

I think paintball and airsoft are on each others side, both involve firing a projecticle at a opponent. However paintball is more organized, safer, publicly accepted in most area's, and no real hazard's to doing it. Paintball is more of a speedball/tournament style sport, airsoft is more of a woodsball/scenario sport.

You have to try before you judge however I have and Paintball will always be ontop of airsoft in the long run. Sales, Interest, and just the feel of play makes paintball what it is.

DyNasTy
12-29-2003, 01:15 AM
for new guys to airsoft here is the general info

BB's come in different weights, like paintball's come in different sizes... because the bb's are so small the heavier the bb the farther it flys.. however it is regulated so only the "snipers" will be able to use these bb's for fairness.

*BTW* BBs are made of teflon and something else. They are as well biodegradable

Face protection - your own choice, you ahve to wear TACTICAL GOGGLES, or full Paintball makss or paintball lenses. Fields wont let you on with shop glasses.

FPS -

AEG's usually run around 280-300 depends where your playing. Out door is higher than indoor for safety reasons. Usually highest would be around 320-350 for outdoor games

Bolt Actions/GBB - 300-450 FPS is legal limit

airsoft hurts a lot les than paintball, iwas shot in the neck by one at close range *sniper rifle at 400 fps* and it was like a pinch compared to a paintball. And we all know paintballs dont even hurt so us hardend players shoudlnt feel it.

That as well is half hte problem, if they are shot from too far away most of the time u dont even feel them hitting, :(

Anywyas this is the basic info

cya

mag-hatter
12-29-2003, 02:04 AM
well tell me what you were on because they DO hurt! i played today and we played something where one dude had my ak and the other two would have 2 pistols and a spring mp5 so i was sneaking around with the mp5 and i got shot in the arm with my own ak....it hurts! ive been playing paintball for 4 years and ill tell you right now it hurts! i havnt done any mods to my ak i've just gotten a locap mag and thats it! i got shot and usually when you get hit by airsoft guns, it breaks the skin because the balls are so hard and they're flying at or faster than paintball guns even though they airnt as heavy as pballs, but they are painful to get hit by.

1ofkind
12-29-2003, 02:24 PM
I got a friend thats trying 2 get into air soft. He just spend 400 bucks on a mph5 submachine gun. The whole point of air soft is its like playing with real guns. Seeing they have no range you got to play close to each other, so its like the movies.

thecavemankevin
01-06-2004, 10:54 PM
i will never let it replace paintball for me, but a pb local store just started carrying some airsoft stuff. I am probably going to get a gas powered berreta for fun.

to those of you that already play, what are some good informative web sites on airsoft?

benzy2
01-07-2004, 02:13 AM
Me and my friends played airsoft for a while. We didnt buy the expensive guns and wanted something we could play more often than paintball and be cheaper. Well the lack of power from the guns turned us off. We couldnt tell if we were hit honestly if we were running at any distance. Recently we bought the cheap electric mni guns and play in our basements and have a lot of fun. Decent rate of fire in close combat makes a big rush to me. I think it was worth the 20 bucks for the gun and the 15 for the 4000 rounds. It will never give the same rush that speed ball does.

Sir_Brass
01-07-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by 1ofkind
I got a friend thats trying 2 get into air soft. He just spend 400 bucks on a mph5 submachine gun. The whole point of air soft is its like playing with real guns. Seeing they have no range you got to play close to each other, so its like the movies.

It's exactly like the movies, actually. Here's a little bit of well known trivia for you Matrix buffs: The Matrix gun scenes were filmed with the actors and acrtress using AIRSOFT guns, not props ;).

fallout11
01-07-2004, 09:50 AM
Quote from Goatboy:
"Airsoft seems to remind me of the good ol' days of paintball, where the quote "Paintball is a game of honor" used to be a part of the daily rule speech at the field. The crowd's certainly changed as everyone knows.

Is it an alternative to paintball? I definitely think it is. What's it's future? That one I'm not so certain of. Who's to say it won't undergo a similar path to paintball? Paintball grew, and as it did, it fell prey to the weaknesses of our society at large. If airsoft grows the same way, it won't have the saving graces of a quarter-sized paint splat.

For me, airsoft would be a REAL alternative to the rare occasions where you would have an unreffed pick up game with some friends. Considering the cost, I'd go for the airsoft, hands down."

Goatboy has hit the nail on the head here. Airsoft reminds me very much of what paintball "was", a decade or more ago.

In many ways, I wish I could roll back the clock to that age.
I've always been one drawn to the more military/tactical-styled games anyway (I guess it's the ex-military in me). Sure, that means playing "war" with toy guns, if you will. With more honorable people.
It was these features which drew me to paintball in the first place, back in the mid-80's. We were already playing "war games" in the woods, except with laser tag gear.

I barely recognize what paintball has evolved into in the last 17 years. That's longer than many current p-ball players have even been alive.
Airsoft, on the other hand....

So I've also been thinking of dabbling in airsoft. It has a certain attraction, and is at least as big if not bigger than paintball in many countries (Australia, Japan, and the UK, for instance), and it's growing on the west coast here.
Winning isn't really important in airsoft (think rec ball), and equipment and ammunition wise, it's cheaper than paintball, but does has it's own disadvantages.

Time will tell, I suppose.

mag-hatter
01-07-2004, 10:24 AM
whats the history of airsoft? how long has is been around?

fallout11
01-07-2004, 10:49 AM
Here's a quote:
"Airsoft, as we know it today, originated in Japan in the 1980s, when people, unable to possess real guns <sidebar: due to strict Japanese laws on that sort of thing>, wanted high quality replicas of guns (which also fired something)."

I knew it originated in Japan, and have seen airsoft replicas (as their called) for sale here in the US as early as the mid-1980s.

And Japan, in general, is not well known for originating "lame" concepts. Sorry, Cledford.

Garrum
02-09-2004, 08:59 PM
Yes, it's an old topic. I just found it. Deal with it.

Several people have said that they are against Airsoft because there is too much chance of being shot by the Police.

Do this. Get your Mag/Cocker/Spyder whatever, and walk ANYWHERE that a Cop can see you. You will be looking down the barrel of a gun just as fast as the Airsofter. The police don't take the time to try and figure out anything beyond "Barrel, Grip, GUN! ". So that is a bogus argument, because it applies just as much to us as to them.

Several people have said that airsoft is just playing with toy guns, and that it is immature.

You go into the playing area, avoiding enemy fire, while attempting to eliminate the opposition. Which game did I just describe? Both. We both play with toy guns, but only some of us are immature. I won't say which ones.

Several people have said that Airsoft is too much of a wargame, and that it gives paintball a bad image.

If Airsoft is too war-like for you, but paintball is A-OK, then you need to stop eating Xanex's with your non-dairy mocha latte, because you have a badly skewed view of reality. Both games involve the deliberate shooting of other people with guns. No amount of rediculous color in your jersey, no amount of chrome and purple anodizing on your gun, no amount of talking badly about us camo wearing, redneck woodsballers /airsofters is going to change that fact. You can try to use smoke and mirrors, calling your gun a marker, demeaning anything other than airball/speedball, talking incessantly about 'shedding our violent roots'. But you are laboring in vain. The public at large will either accept us as we are, or they will not. Because to the average Nancy and Frank, our 'markers' look a whole lot like real guns. They will either say," Wow that looks like they are having a blast! You want to try?" or they will say, "OMG! THEY ARE SHOOTING EACH OTHER! CALL THE NATIONAL GUARD!"

What is more important than what we look like, is how we act and how we treat people, both other players, and non-players. The worst image going right now, is that of the tourney player. Routinely foul-mouthed, pitching fits on and off the field, getting into fights, cheating rampantly, arrogance oozing from every pore. THAT is a bad image to project. Playing with honor, being friendly and helpful to new players, inviting non-players to come and play, these things will change the public's view of our hobbies far more powerfully than simply playing with bright yellow outfits on a sup-air field.

Sir_Brass
02-09-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Garrum
Yes, it's an old topic. I just found it. Deal with it.

Several people have said that they are against Airsoft because there is too much chance of being shot by the Police.

Do this. Get your Mag/Cocker/Spyder whatever, and walk ANYWHERE that a Cop can see you. You will be looking down the barrel of a gun just as fast as the Airsofter. The police don't take the time to try and figure out anything beyond "Barrel, Grip, GUN! ". So that is a bogus argument, because it applies just as much to us as to them.

Several people have said that airsoft is just playing with toy guns, and that it is immature.

You go into the playing area, avoiding enemy fire, while attempting to eliminate the opposition. Which game did I just describe? Both. We both play with toy guns, but only some of us are immature. I won't say which ones.

Several people have said that Airsoft is too much of a wargame, and that it gives paintball a bad image.

If Airsoft is too war-like for you, but paintball is A-OK, then you need to stop eating Xanex's with your non-dairy mocha latte, because you have a badly skewed view of reality. Both games involve the deliberate shooting of other people with guns. No amount of rediculous color in your jersey, no amount of chrome and purple anodizing on your gun, no amount of talking badly about us camo wearing, redneck woodsballers /airsofters is going to change that fact. You can try to use smoke and mirrors, calling your gun a marker, demeaning anything other than airball/speedball, talking incessantly about 'shedding our violent roots'. But you are laboring in vain. The public at large will either accept us as we are, or they will not. Because to the average Nancy and Frank, our 'markers' look a whole lot like real guns. They will either say," Wow that looks like they are having a blast! You want to try?" or they will say, "OMG! THEY ARE SHOOTING EACH OTHER! CALL THE NATIONAL GUARD!"

What is more important than what we look like, is how we act and how we treat people, both other players, and non-players. The worst image going right now, is that of the tourney player. Routinely foul-mouthed, pitching fits on and off the field, getting into fights, cheating rampantly, arrogance oozing from every pore. THAT is a bad image to project. Playing with honor, being friendly and helpful to new players, inviting non-players to come and play, these things will change the public's view of our hobbies far more powerfully than simply playing with bright yellow outfits on a sup-air field.

I do believe that that was the most beautiful summation of how I feel about this whole deal!

Someone give this man a medal! :D

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
02-09-2004, 11:01 PM
...that was only his 11th post!

I think we got ourselves a pretty smart member here

Enigma4you
02-10-2004, 12:06 AM
This topic has been kicked around our store more than a few times, We as a store have decided to try a limited trail of it. I think that there is a cross of players that will find both paintball and airsoft appealing. FOr a bussiness not to try and exploit that market would be stupid. The sports are close enuf that to a bussines owner it is just an expansion of an already existing market in paintball. This is a example, sundays at our field are very slow, there is no place for a walk on game of airsoft, should we fill that void by offering it as an option on sundays? what would the cost to us be? not alot, this is a game that at this time does no require a ref and our field is open anyway. What does it cost to bring in the stock for air soft? again not alot and it expands our customer base. I say go for it.

ramenjames
02-10-2004, 01:40 AM
i dont like airsoft AT ALL
i think it (along with armotech and warsensor) make paintball seem like we are a bunch of goons running around in the woods trianing to overthrow the govt. or something along those lines (i say airsoft does because it gets lumped in with paintball) and that is a hindarance to our great sport

badinfo
02-10-2004, 03:28 AM
So many things to answer....
Alot of folks said it is a different game, I think Garrum asnwered that to my satisfaction, we are all shooting guns at each other to eliminate the opposing team, not that much difference.

However, after playing paintball for over 15 years I just can't imagine how the honor system is going to work

The honor system is nice, but not to realistic in a big battle

Ya know, when I first played paintball, we did play honorably, maybe it was just the guys I played with, but I saw more than one guy walk on a bounce....paintball seems to have lost whatever honor it once had for sure. Believe it or not, you can act honorably without someone enforcing it. I am in the SCA, a medieval group that holds a two week battle event each year with somewhere around 3-4000 fighters on the field, combat is full contact with hits made on......the honor system. It works, it has for over 30 years now.

its very childish, I stopped playing with toy guns when I was 7

That is just too funny. Nuff said.

they have guys dressed up as terrorists w/ their AKs and its pretty creepy, i know if a cop saw that, he d shoot him in a split second, not a smart move to dress up for that.

I also used to do a lot of reenacting, every time period you can think of, WW2 involves lots of guys running around in the woods with REAL guns, including machine guns *gasp*
No one has ever been shot by a policeman at one of these events, why? Because they arent running around in some suburban neighborhood with those guns. As long as airsoft events are held in specific places like reenactments or legit paintball, this is not an issue. And as stated elsewhere in this post, if you think you stand a lesser chance running around town with a paintgun than an airsoft gun think again. The cop will see it as a gun first, no matter which one it is. Keep it in yer case till ya get to the field...duh.

LMAO

one of the hosts of the morning radio station that i listen too reccently bought his oldest son an airsoft gun. and like kids will do his son and his friends were playing around in the neighborhood. someone saw a "person dressed in all black and carring an m16" and they called the cops. then the cops had no idea they were airsoft guns and drew his sidearm and had a kid on the ground.

A fine example of parenting. I had a .22 at 8, several bb guns, paintball guns werent around yet. Those bb guns and the .22 were NEVER toted around the neighborhood. My folks woulda skinned me.

i dont like airsoft AT ALL i think it (along with armotech and warsensor) make paintball seem like we are a bunch of goons running around in the woods trianing to overthrow the govt. or something along those lines (i say airsoft does because it gets lumped in with paintball) and that is a hindarance to our great sport

I see plenty of goons on the pball field, most of em are wearing jerseys though :rolleyes:

Do you really think John Q Public sees a difference. People shooting other people with guns either way. In fact, I find the gansta wannabes more repulsive myself. Most firearms related crimes are not commited by someone in camo with an assault type weapon anyway.

I havent tried airsoft yet, no one in my area, but I have read plenty of the airsoft forums and there are lots of mature intelligent folks posting there. I like some of those forums better than one or two pball forums which shall remain nameless. One of the reasons I like to hang out here actually, lots of thoughtful posters amongst you AO folks.

So endeth the epic.

badinfo...who just realised his sig is a bit of a givaway lol.

conk_kool_a1d
06-15-2004, 06:43 PM
undefined well to me airsoft is soooooo stupid first who knows when they're hit "honor system" my @$$ i think airsoft is just pointless want to be paintballers and second people often relate pb to "neo-nazis" well i have seen a hated foe of myne playing airsoft and i can tell you something about neo-nazis jesus they got there 3k ghillie suit ub3r l337 stickers omg retarted pssh :mad:

jesseyo13
06-15-2004, 07:01 PM
Ive seen very very small paintballs for air soft. They were like 6$ for 1000 I think. Thats the only way that I would want to play it. I think if you are really into the woodsball stuff and like the scenario type games it could be really fun. I know that they travel faster than paintballs.

TDonovan
06-15-2004, 07:40 PM
One reason I'll always like paintball over airsoft.

Paintball hurts more, airsoft doesn't. Maybe I'm a little odd, but to me the whole appeal of paintball was being struck or shooting someone with a projectile that would "give them something to think about".

mag-hatter
06-15-2004, 08:34 PM
oh the smell of ignorance :)

i love how people make their judgements off of kmart spring pistols when they dont have any idea what airsoft guns are capable of. just give me a second to explain. airsoft guns can be upgraded to shoot 550 or even 600 feet per second. 280 hurts, let alone 550!!!!!! i've been shot with a 450 once and it was terrible, so there is no problem with pain. the thing about airsoft is, there is no chopping whatsoever so you can buy the biggest spring you want (and back it up with the right internals) and you can have a gun shotting up to 600 fps. here is my gun, and here are some airsoft pictures from me and my friend.

mag-hatter
06-15-2004, 08:37 PM
my arm

and my friend's arm

Recon by Fire
06-16-2004, 09:12 AM
I haven't played airsoft but have seen others play. I'm sure it would be just as much fun as paintball. I can see why it is not as popular as paintball though becuase it strikes to be a simulation and not just a game.

Some airsoft players have a little chip on their shoulders though. At a local field, I was talking to several airsoft players who were out there playing. One of them made a comment directly towards me about how airsoft was not like paintball because they had honor and were not cheaters. That little teenage brat almost ate an x-mag that day :)

brianlojeck
06-16-2004, 10:58 AM
Honestly, if you play Paintball using the same attitude and tactics used by Airsoft people, it's a hell of a lot more fun then just Airsoft IMHO.

The main difference is they are supposed to call themselves out, but there are cheaters in Airsoft just like anything else.

As usual, the difference is Ego and Attitude.

xXHavokXx
06-16-2004, 11:51 AM
We have airsoft guys buying Dye Balance gear from our store, so they dont flinch. My take on airsoft: It is where paintball was 14 years ago, the new fad is airsoft on paintball speedball fields, why? No idea. I have alot of friends that are hardcore airsoft players, and mostly I think they play Counter Strike too much, everyone seems to be a sniper, or a asssault entry point man, or a flank machine gunner, but if you're gonna play war you can leave out the logistics personel like the guy swho get the ammo to you, the guys who purify your water, who run the radio, the administrative assistant to the general, and the cooks. Seriously, some of them take it too far. One of them thinks he's delta force material but refuses to join the army, so he dresses like them exactly, carries their m14, puts bricks in his backpack equivalent to what theirs would weigh and the whole nine yards. I'm like join the damned military if you're such a good delta force canadate. Besides the honor system that doesn,t work, alot of it is simulation on imagination. Nerfballs are grenades things can be defined as explosives, people can write class IV body armor2 on their undershirt and hey it's class IV, even scarier is some people say that if you buy body armor you can have it count in the game so kids are buying kevlar. So now you have kids training in combat tactics, wearing body armor, using realistic guns, wearing simulation uniforms (sometimes ultra realistic) and what does this look like to you.......

mag-hatter
06-16-2004, 05:52 PM
Honestly, if you play Paintball using the same attitude and tactics used by Airsoft people, it's a hell of a lot more fun then just Airsoft IMHO.

The main difference is they are supposed to call themselves out, but there are cheaters in Airsoft just like anything else.

As usual, the difference is Ego and Attitude.

the other main difference is that there will never be sup air style airsoft tourneys with homo colorful gear and everything because the guns are alwasy going to look like real guns and it just wouldnt be the same as the sup air homo tourneys. same tactics? you cant have the same tactics in airsoft because the guns (on simi auto, which is required for fields) you cant shoot as fast, and the guns shoot straiter and farther, with scopes that are actually useful and whatnot.

coolcatpete
06-16-2004, 06:01 PM
Thread resurection
Pete

barrel break
06-16-2004, 06:11 PM
The only thing I like Airsoft for is to re-live my "cool toy gun" childhood. I might not be able to own a real steel AR-15 or AK-47, but I can own an exact copy that shoots 6mm BBs. I just think Airsoft guns are cool toys, thats about it. I'll stick to paintball for playing.

exactly, I use my spring airsoft pistol (which I won at a paintball big game) just to mess around with one or two friends, in the backyard...

Airsoft is not an alternative to paintball, completely different game. airsoft is all about "bang, bang, I shot you! your dead!" you dont play to win or lose, its just fun messing around with a replica gun!
Its very cheap if you stay with spring guns (infact I'm purchasing a $65 dollar steel (gold color) desert eagle soon, Most of the time I just go outside and play around with it...