PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected but pleasant choice to be made

Senor Cartman
11-26-2003, 04:26 PM
Well to make it short: I've opened up my business 2 years ago and I poured all of my time and money into it. That meant quitting paintball for a while. So my relatives have pooled together for Xmas and decided to get me a new "toy" (one of the options is a new PB gun, the other being diving equipment).

So there you go, I'm looking at my options for a PB gun. Now obviously I can't go nuts and ask for stuff like an A4 with A.I.R. or an X-Mag (man I wished :D ) but I have a few options.

Right off the bat I'm writing off Cockers, Intimidators, Impulses and Matrices. All fine guns, not dissing here but they're not my cup of tea.

My choices 3 choices are: E-Mag, Speed and 2K3 Shocker. I've owned Angels in the past and a Shocker, so if the Speed or the 2K3 Shockers are at least as good as their predecessors I'll be happy (and I'd wonder why they wouldn't).

I've been playing (on and off) since... 1990 ( :eek: ) so I know all about the accuracy/range thingie (ie: whatever I pick will shoot fine). As for ROF I don't care as long as I can walk a constant 12-15 bps; so again I think I should be fine with the models I've mentionned. I guess I'm looking for something sleek, light, reliable, consistant, low on breakage, and something I won't want to trade in 3 months (gee, there's something wrong with the sport, I tell you :confused: ). I've had a mag in the past (in the pre-electro days) and my Angels and Shocker (Max-Flows included) were all VERY reliable (yeah even the Shocker... cuz I actually took the bloody time to clean the thing :D )

So far based on price I'm leaning towards a LX Emag. But for a few more bucks I could get a shiny Speed. If I get both I want to try a cheaper air system, like a Crossfire- I've heard that they are as consistant as anything out there but I'm wondering about their flow capacity; can they consistantly feed guns at 12+ bps? If not then I'd go with a tried Max-Flow (I know those systems like the back of my hand), unless someone can recommand me something else that's not too expensive. My primery criteria for an air system is CONSISTANCY. I don't want anything larger than 68 cu in.

OTOH I'm looking at 2K3 Shocker packages, with Vision and all (... would Vision be worth it??). I'm not that concerned with the air efficiency problems on the Shocker (wasn't a real problem in the past). The only problem I had with my old Shocker was that sometimes during high rates of fire situations the internals had problems keeping up. Having to smear the parts with grease every time I even touched the gun also got old real fast.

BTW I still have my "old" Freak set so all I would have to do would be to buy the matching back; and I plan to get a HALO.

any thoughts? Thanks! :cool:

datapimp69
11-26-2003, 04:33 PM
if you look there are a lot of NEW X-mags around for sale.

i know of a
black
blue
red acid
magmna
blood in the water

just to name a few.

if you want an X then get it

personman
11-26-2003, 04:34 PM
Well, I would say either the speed, or the e-mag. The speed will give you a VERY nice ROF, and a very light gun. The e-mag will give you a heavier, but rock solid gun.

As far as preset tanks go, I reccommend crossfire. I havent had much of a chance to shoot my mag (ok well I did, I just wasnt thinking at the time) but I modified it so so far its shooting around 16 bps. I use a crossfire tank.. I havent experianced any drop off at all with it so far, and thats been around 13 bps. The tank should still have no problems keeping up at 16.

Edit:
Like datapimp said, there are tons of new xmags out there right now. There is also a blueblack fade that BradAGD just put up in the dealers. If you really want an Xmag, I'm sure you could pitch in a little bit o' cash to get one ;)

TransMan
11-26-2003, 06:47 PM
Dude be nice to yourself and get an 04 Viking here (http://www.ontargetentertainment.com/viking04.htm) They are IMO the best gun available right now(yes thats right X has nuthin on em :eek:)
It is one of the most reliable markers on par with a mag, It can easily out shoot any gun out there, They are built like a tank, and they have the best efficiency of any gun, and u will definitly be able to walk a consistant 12-15 bps.

oh and check this vid out here (http://www.paintballarizona.com/pictures/misc/Speed/speed2.mpg) it is of a new speed and the 03 model viking(slower then the 04) the Viking pretty much owns the Speed in bps :cool: mostly due to sensi being a pile of crap IMO

cphilip
11-26-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by TransMan
.. They are built like a tank...

After I weed out the hype and BS I end up with only that! And ya know what? They look like a tank too! :D

Get the ULE Emag I say. Or even a RTP with ULE stuff all over it. I am biased but I live with what I recommend. I shoot them myself.

My opinion is worth as much as any link to anything else I figure. But you make the choice. Chose wisely my friend. And try them all. Then make the choice.

Tunaman
11-26-2003, 08:44 PM
And when you buy the Viking or the Angel, dont forget to pick up a squeegee or 2. You are gonna need um.:o

personman
11-26-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Tunaman
dont forget to pick up a squeegee
Yeah, just dont go around bunkering people with it though :p

Mossman
11-26-2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Tunaman
And when you buy the Viking or the Angel, dont forget to pick up a squeegee or 2. You are gonna need um.:o

WAS'ed vikings with eyes and speeds with sensi are UBER blenders. OK, maybe WDP's eyes suck, but they aint blenders :)

ExtremeODD
11-27-2003, 01:06 AM
DuDe GeT A PiMp SpYdEr

ok ill stop that now, i would say the speed, cuz lighter and such, the emag is good and stuff, but sometimes weight can decide weather u snap off a round 1 sec later and ur out, but that usually dont happen

just ingore me, im like dead right now

Steelrat
11-27-2003, 01:15 AM
That is a lot of unnecessary harshness directed towards Vikings. They are EXCELLENT guns, in many ways better than the emags. Their engineering is just as good as AGD's stuff, their warranty is BETTER, they are extremely fast, and very efficient. I have owned both and used both, so I feel qualified to comment on it. Can the people badmouthing the Viking say that they have owned one and used it for an extended period? Buy one and use it for a while, you will respect the engineering and craftsmanship that went into it.

The ONLY time I chopped in my viking was when I left it in simulate, and I outran the Halo. As good as level 10 is, the break beam ACE seems to do a better job, especially in combination with a Halo and low pressure operation.

It IS possible for someone other than AGD to make a quality product, you know ;).

Mossman
11-27-2003, 01:53 AM
if you thought I was badmouthing the viking i was just kidding. If you were commenting on someone else....eh i'm too lazy to read up the thread.

Steelrat
11-27-2003, 01:55 AM
No, not you Mossman ;)

DiRTyBuNNy
11-27-2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by Senor Cartman
So far based on price I'm leaning towards a LX Emag...

He called it an LX Emag..muhahahahhahaha **Evil Mad Scientist Laugh**...see Tom...I was right...people do like calling it "LX"...hahahahahah

TransMan
11-27-2003, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by DiRTyBuNNy

He called it an LX Emag..muhahahahhahaha **Evil Mad Scientist Laugh**...see Tom...I was right...people do like calling it "LX"...hahahahahah
Maybe he meant level ten EMAG cuz he said the X mag was a bit pricey.
__________________________________________________ ________

You can hate on teh Viking all you want but i still know its better then an emag...:)

Gadget
11-27-2003, 04:50 AM
My choices 3 choices are: E-Mag, Speed and 2K3 Shocker.

Personally I'd go for the E-Mag....but then again I do shoot one myself so I'm biased.

Second place would go to the Speed, they're meant to be good markers, but I'd avoid the 03 Shocker at all costs - after the initial 'ooh it's so pretty' comments, I've heard nothing but negative feedback about them (reliability and efficiency being the frequent moans).

Senor Cartman
11-27-2003, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the Viking suggestion; they sound like awesome guns but for some reason the design doesn't quite appeal to me as other models do. I'd dure like to try one at one point though.

And when you buy the Viking or the Angel, dont forget to pick up a squeegee or 2. You are gonna need um.

well I had a few Angels; the last one I had was a 2K1 LCD. I would shoot consistantly 10+ bps with a crappy VL loader and I would NEVER get breaks, or something like once per couple of cases. Ditto for my Shocker at that time. Oddly yeah I carried a squeegie... for other folks' guns ;)

He called it an LX Emag

I obviously meant a Level 10-upgraded Emag.

but I'd avoid the 03 Shocker at all costs - after the initial 'ooh it's so pretty' comments, I've heard nothing but negative feedback about them (reliability and efficiency being the frequent moans).

Well the funny thing is I don't even like the shape of the 2K3 Shocker that much. Efficiency isn't quite a problem for me (rarely will I fire more than a quarter of a case in a single 5 min game) but you got my attention with reliability remark. Maybe they're having problems with the early run of 2K3s (like they did with the first Shockers in the late 90's). But I've often found that 99% of the complaints about Shockers could be somehow linked back to the owner's fault. I had mine (a 2K1) for a good while, played many games and it never went down on me, not even once, Max-Flow included. My thought on the 2K3 Shocker's reliability issue is that if it is at least as reliable as its predecessor than I shouldn't have any problems... if it really is.

I went to actionvillage.com and I nearly fell off my chair when I saw the new pricing on the Speed ($800). They're selling the Emag for that much. I also looked at the air systems and I saw that the A.I.R. was at $460. That means that I could get a nice basic set-up for about $1,300. Now I've owned an A.I.R. and I KNOW that they are way over-hyped (and when they came out they were WAY over-priced as well) but they still are (IMVHO) great systems- a Speed + AIR combo would be a nice set-up.

The only nagging question I have about the Speed is if to sell it at that price WDP cut the corners a bit quality-wise. Obviously I don't expect an Angel to be as solid or as well-built as a Mag but comparisons to Mags aside I always held WDP in very high esteem. Lastly, am I wrong in assuming that the A4 is an overpriced gizmo-ladden gun that in the end will perform exactly like the previous Angels?

anyways thanks for youe help! :cool:

TransMan
11-28-2003, 01:05 AM
Honestly WDP as yet to make a ball detection system that works as good as other manufactures do. I wouldnt go for a speed or the shocker for that matter I would take an E-Mag over both anyday.

Also what exactly is it about the design of the Vikings that you dont liek maybe i could help u out(change your mind;) ).

I know you said u had an AIR befor but i would still recomend that u not get one they are IMO still way overpriced they work great but they have a lot of gizmos of which half dont work very well anyway. I would tell u just to get a Max-flo or a Flatline they work great and they dont have the Gizmos.

Senor Cartman
12-15-2003, 02:30 PM
Well thank you all for your replies but I'll postpone getting a PB gun for a while. I've chosen instead to get an handgun for target shooting. The problem around here is that it is nearly impossible to play paintball without geting invloved in the "politics" of it. The local market is full of hotheads who have to win any game at all costs but end up selling their equipment 6 months later. So in order to keep up you have to buy ungoddly amounts of paint. Target shooting is nowhere near as expensive as this.

But when I'll go back into PB (next summer? If I find a regular group that I like...) I'll definitely get an Emag. Especially since they're supposed now to come with LX and a ULE body. The Speed is nice, but I forgot the fact that you need over-priced gauges and tool kits to keep it running, whereas Mags only need common tools to be serviced. So the set-up I'll pick will be the latest Emag with a preset Crossfire tank (I'm thinking that if the Crossfire doesn't do the job, it's so cheap I can always upgrade to a more expansive sytem later). Since I still have my Freak kit I'll only need a Mag front.

WARPED1
12-15-2003, 02:56 PM
Go 2k3 Shocker. Oh, I've been playing steadily from like 1989:).