PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about using RC cars in paintball?

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
11-27-2003, 03:09 PM
Operation: Moving Bomb
RC Paintball Shooter
RC Paintball Super Tank

You will notice these threads in the workshop forum.
I just want to know what everyone thinks about using these in an actual game.

In my opinion i think that trying to hook up a marker to a RC car will be very difficult and will be a waste of time. You would need to drive it up to a bunker, somehow aim the gun, and fire (which i doubt would get to the bunker without getting shot first).

LaW
11-27-2003, 03:11 PM
a stupid idea....

why bring it up even

edweird
11-27-2003, 03:11 PM
Eigh... keep paintball and RC seperate!

just like we are at Tx Throwdown... I have it on good knowledge that there will be some 1/10th scale RC racing on the side during the whole weekend of fun

Big_Chops
11-27-2003, 05:15 PM
like law said its a stupid idea

ScatterPlot
11-27-2003, 08:19 PM
Aww, come on, attaching a marker wouln't be hard to do at all, I'm planning on an electronic Spyder. Plus it's just for fun, using it anywhere but a scenario would be stupid. Bunkers, speedball, etc. it would be stupid to use a marker on a tank. You don't use gokarts except in scenarios, this is like a RC go-kart.

Methylphenidate
11-28-2003, 12:40 AM
ya... um... NO
just let it go man dont fight it
its just a bad idea

MrWallen
11-28-2003, 01:18 AM
The owner at my local field is going to buy a gyrocoptor (read: really small, personal helicopter), and shoot people during scenarios with that. Not RC related, but vehicle related and a much cooler, better idea than RC car.

Jaasper
11-28-2003, 05:02 AM
Actually its cooler than you would think playing against them in a scenario game. I've come across a couple of them in my time. They usually have a kill switch wired into them you can hit with a paintball to turn them off other wise they keep on truckin. Last one I saw was as the killer rabbit at the Quest game in Houston. Is was about 3 feet long and about a foot and a half wide. Had a angel strapped to it with a rubber maid container holding about 2000 rounds of paint. With the offroad tires it had on it, it could get just about anywhere, it was also gas powered thou. It was a nasty little rabbit when you ran into it on the field.

The other one I ran into was at the Camp blanding game in Florida. A guy had one of them remote control paintball land mines attached to a RC car and would drive it around the MOUT site. Fast little sucker. It had a kill switch you had to hit to disable it.

JT2002
11-28-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by edweird
Eigh... keep paintball and RC seperate!

just like we are at Tx Throwdown... I have it on good knowledge that there will be some 1/10th scale RC racing on the side during the whole weekend of fun

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! !!!11

someone needs to get me cheap tix to tx throwdown!!! (is it an AO Day event or something? :D )
omg id love to shoot u all with my 2k4 timmy, then run u all over with my rustler :D

elpimpo
11-28-2003, 11:01 PM
dude that would be funnier than hell. your playing some speedball and you get shot then afterwards your buddies ask you who shot you and you tell them a remote control car. that would be the most intresting way ive ever gotten out

Sparq
11-28-2003, 11:01 PM
Being in a robotics course, earning an elecromechanical technician's certificate...I've thought on and off about stuff like this. I think the only practical application would be sone sort of remotely controlled sentry gun. essentially you'd just need one or more markers, a mounting system, servos to aim the device on 2 axes, and a video camera. Run a long cable (or use radios...) back to a bunker (or the staging area, I like that idea :p )

Perhaps a voice link and a megaphone on the sentry...yell at your targets :D

Anyway, someone would have to come up with some sort of scenario rules to disable it...ahit on a certain target...perhaps a switch somewhere in it's field of fire that disables the firing mechanism.

As far as an RC car...I don't think anything that small would be mobile or precise enough to be effectively armed. Maybe a paint mine, but not a marker.

kosmo
11-29-2003, 04:11 AM
A little RC car with a mine on it would be awesome. And so would sentry towers. But I cant quite see an rc car with a gun on it working too well.

JT2002
11-29-2003, 10:25 AM
actually i could see that working. a gas or electric rc car with one of those 36 round mines on it definitely sounds feisable (sp?) :D

Sparq
11-29-2003, 11:47 AM
Hmmmm...might be something to think about. A claymore mine that can be remotely deployed...or perhaps driven directly into a group of players and 'detonated' in the confusion.

JT2002
11-29-2003, 12:06 PM
i could see fairly easily mounting one of those mines onto an rc car, then using a servo to pull the cord to set it off

PolishSausage
11-29-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
Operation: Moving Bomb
RC Paintball Shooter
RC Paintball Super Tank

You will notice these threads in the workshop forum.
I just want to know what everyone thinks about using these in an actual game.

In my opinion i think that trying to hook up a marker to a RC car will be very difficult and will be a waste of time. You would need to drive it up to a bunker, somehow aim the gun, and fire (which i doubt would get to the bunker without getting shot first).

Well thank you for starting a new thread in a different forum just to share your opinion on something so incredibly stupid it made my brain bleed, you may now return to lowering the average IQ on this board.

Jaasper
11-29-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Sparq

Anyway, someone would have to come up with some sort of scenario rules to disable it...ahit on a certain target...perhaps a switch somewhere in it's field of fire that disables the firing mechanism.

As far as an RC car...I don't think anything that small would be mobile or precise enough to be effectively armed. Maybe a paint mine, but not a marker.

Well, A guy named tron from norway beat you too it. At i believe it was the Starcraft game viper held a few years back. right at 1100 people and 3 teams. (Was Fun! My first 24hr Scenario Game.) He had two I believe it was angels again, (These were the only electros out at the time)hooked up on 3 axis tripods with infra red sensors on them. In other words full auto, auto (Heat) seeker paintball guns. They were nasty. he would put them out at night to protect thier base. They had kill switchs on them I believe.

Think larger RC "car" (2x3 feet) with a gun mount on a auto sweep gear. (left and Right) with just a slight angle on the gun, and it works quite well, while giving it a way to be taken out. Anyway, if they are done right RC "cars" and paintball put together is down right awesome.

ubooze
11-29-2003, 04:48 PM
Infrared sensor and 3-axis tripod? LOL, thats the best thing I've ever heard. Must have cost a lot of dinero.

R/C in a pball game isn't a fabulous idea. Maintenance(sp?) and other people screwing around with ur car would be pretty bad.

I could just imagine so guy treating your car as a toy and like chucking it into a tree. *cringe*

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
11-29-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by PolishSausage

Well thank you for starting a new thread in a different forum just to share your opinion on something so incredibly stupid it made my brain bleed, you may now return to lowering the average IQ on this board.

I think it's low enough :)

Sparq
11-29-2003, 08:03 PM
I'm not suprised that it's already been done...Still, I might have to look into building one of my own at some point.

painball
11-29-2003, 08:22 PM
http://www.spawar.navy.mil/robots/resources/gunpod/gunpod.html

http://www.ottawarobotics.org/paintball.html

:)

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
11-29-2003, 10:00 PM
to me it's a stupid idea to use these in any field. But at a scenario game it could be pretty useful. With no timelimit and plenty of time to deploy it could be very usefull to complete missions. I don't think any of the designers of the RC cars in the workshop forum made these RC tanks/bombs to be used in a 5 - 10minute game.

ScatterPlot
11-29-2003, 10:44 PM
Yeah, scenarios only for RC. In speedball it'd be pretty stinking hard to use anything other than normal guns.