PDA

View Full Version : For thoughts who think the Matrix trilogy sucked or couldn't understand it.

Liger Zero
11-28-2003, 05:17 PM
The Matrix trilogy is actually vary complex and to some hard to fallow and understand, the bases on religion trips people out. I recommend reading the short book "TAKING THE RED PILL" The Science, Philosophy and Religion in the Matrix. To really get a good understanding of the plot and what the brothers want you to get out of the movies. There are three books on the Philosophy of the matrix but Taking The Red Pill is the best.
Liger

Taking The Red Pill (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1932100024/qid=1070057254/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/002-4153184-2862415)

aaron_mag
11-28-2003, 06:59 PM
I got bad news for you. A movie series that makes you read extra material to understand it is basically means one thing:

IT SUCKED!!!!!

Let me ask you this. What would you think of the Lord of the Rings movie if everyone who saw it hated it UNLESS they read the books? I'll answer for you......it would mean that IT SUCKED. That, however, has not been the case. Many of the people watching LOTR don't even have a desire to read the books.

The plain fact is that the Matrix was a good movie. It was a complete story. Since the story was finished in the first movie everything that came later was a bunch of garbage. If they had made prequels they might have been good.

Tron
11-28-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by aaron_mag
I got bad news for you. A movie series that makes you read extra material to understand it is basically means one thing:

IT SUCKED!!!!!

Let me ask you this. What would you think of the Lord of the Rings movie if everyone who saw it hated it UNLESS they read the books? I'll answer for you......it would mean that IT SUCKED. That, however, has not been the case. Many of the people watching LOTR don't even have a desire to read the books.

The plain fact is that the Matrix was a good movie. It was a complete story. Since the story was finished in the first movie everything that came later was a bunch of garbage. If they had made prequels they might have been good.

People who read LOTR got way more out of it though.

-Tron

RetroEclipseMan
11-28-2003, 07:22 PM
All in all the trilogy sucked majorly. I think for the most part the CG was good and that's the only good thing that was brought to the table by the time the 2nd and 3rd movies came out. The first movie was amazing and I thought the story was very well done but it's like the Wachoustky(sp) Brothers just couldn't figure out how to end it and therefore just made the story pretty lame.

Also if I'm gonna take the time to watch a movie I better not have to go and read a book afterwards to figure out what's going on. That's just bad writing and directing if your adience has to do that.

Oh yeah, just wanted to add that I understood the story and all, just thought that the final 2 movies weren't all that great and the ending sucked more than both combined.

taylor492
11-28-2003, 08:04 PM
I can honestly say i hated the third movie

even though i never wasted my time to go see it

cphilip
11-28-2003, 09:01 PM
I saw the black guy (forget the name in the movies) on Letterman the other night. He said there realy was no hidden thing to figure out. Its just made up subplots that mean nothing overall. And he is a little scared of all the people that come up to him that are so engrossed in it they see things in it that are not there. He says they pretty scary really so he just agree's with them and moves away. Another case of cult followers looking for some magical answer. They see things in everything. That are not really there. Its MOVIES FOR CHRIST SAKES! :D

-Carnifex-
11-28-2003, 09:11 PM
I liked the first one a lot, it was new, the special effects were innovative, and the philosophical allusions were very well done and hidden. The other two however, were blatant and horrible. The third would have been a great movie had they not made the Christ imagery so blatant.

cphilip
11-28-2003, 09:14 PM
I have not seen the last two...

but I got a kick out of watching ezrunner and Fatman arguing over what each one ment and what was going to happen and all and then I see that Actor say that about it meaning NOTHING. I just laughed! Amazing how we get all caught up in these things.

Sir_Brass
11-28-2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by -Carnifex-
I liked the first one a lot, it was new, the special effects were innovative, and the philosophical allusions were very well done and hidden. The other two however, were blatant and horrible. The third would have been a great movie had they not made the Christ imagery so blatant.

and Christ imagery is a bad thing? I think not . . . well, not unless they were trying to be Christian, that is, which they weren't: they were telling a story, and a darn good one at that.

I can positively say that I absolutely love the trilogy. The second one was slow in the first half, but the later half more than made up for the first half, and both the first and third movies totally ROCKED. LOVED THEM BOTH!! :D

-Carnifex-
11-28-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Sir_Brass

and Christ imagery is a bad thing? I think not . . . well, not unless they were trying to be Christian, that is, which they weren't: they were telling a story, and a darn good one at that.

I can positively say that I absolutely love the trilogy. The second one was slow in the first half, but the later half more than made up for the first half, and both the first and third movies totally ROCKED. LOVED THEM BOTH!! :D

It was a good one until the second two came out. Like I said the blatant Christ imagery ruined the third. The second was just crap; boring and the philosophy was thrown right at you.

Rooster
11-28-2003, 10:43 PM
The first movie was excellent. The second and third were beyond worthless, and nothing more than a vehical to bring in cash and sell video games. But more power to the Watchamcallit brothers, they are living the American dream. And if you can wrap a turd in a shiny package and sell it to someone, like they did, more power to you.

Liger Zero
11-29-2003, 01:17 PM
You don't have to read Taking The Red Pill but it helps. If you know your bible and go in to the movies thinking in relation to bible you might get more from the movies.
I've never read the bible I don't believe in a creator but for though who do.
Liger

aaron_mag
11-29-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Rooster
The first movie was excellent. The second and third were beyond worthless, and nothing more than a vehical to bring in cash and sell video games. But more power to the Watchamcallit brothers, they are living the American dream. And if you can wrap a turd in a shiny package and sell it to someone, like they did, more power to you.

For once Rooster and I agree. He hit the nail on the head. More power to them....

Timmee
11-29-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by taylor492
I can honestly say i hated the third movie

even though i never wasted my time to go see it

How can you honestly say that? Are you that much of a follower, that you believe everything that you're told? At least if you'd seen the 3rd movie, then your opinion would have more weight. I saw the 3rd movie twice, and I liked it more the second time. It had lots of fast paced action, and I was impressed by the CGI. As far as the blatant Christ imagery, I ignored it for the most part.

I can't wait until it comes out on DVD. :D

rdb123
11-29-2003, 11:59 PM
The Wachowski brothers are very into philosophical ideas of Sophocles, Nietzsche, etc.

For example, Nietzche (I think) preached the idea of two separate classes: the masters and the slaves. Basically, the masters would oppress the slaves and that was the way of things. The slaves' goal was to climb the philosophical "scaffolding" to reach a higher plateau in society. In the first movie in the office, an example of this idea being put into affect is Morpheus's quote: "climb the scaffolding to get to the roof..."