PDA

View Full Version : Flatline Barrel

TheTomBomb
12-02-2003, 08:15 AM
If I have a ULE body, which is autococker threaded, can I use the flatline barrel on it?

FragTek
12-02-2003, 08:17 AM
wtf? where would u get this crazy idea?

1st of all your thread type would have be either 98 threads or A-5 threads. There would be no way to mount the barrel shroud if you did, but you dont necessarily have to use the shroud.

I guess you could do it if you had a cocker thread to 98 thread adapter.

Joni
12-02-2003, 08:34 AM
Actually, I dont think you can even if you have an adapter. I think the TM98/A5 flatline isn't mounted with threads, they are attached to the body somehow, and I don't think that would fit an ULE =). I'm not completely sure about this, since ive never owned a flatline myself.
Anyway, maybe the guy is thinking about the flatline for cocker produced by WGP, but as I understand it, you can only buy the complete flatline cocker, not just the flatline. And that flatline probably wont fit an ULE either.

FragTek
12-02-2003, 08:43 AM
Well, the 98 flatline is odd. I have owned one, and they have a funky setup. There is an adapter plug for the Flatline that screws into the receiver, it has a ring clamp on it. From there you just slide the flatline into the plug and tighten down the ring clamp.

Therefor if you had a 98 / cocker thread adapter you could mount the flatline without the shroud. It would look goofy and potentially chop mass balls.

GA Devil
12-02-2003, 09:13 AM
You do realize they did make a flatline mini cocker right? If not I have 1 for sale if your interested brand new.

FragTek
12-02-2003, 09:15 AM
I think he just wants to flatline his mag... A lot cheaper than buying a whole new gun :)

Tobe2be
12-02-2003, 01:09 PM
i have seened flatline BARRELS on an autococker. as a result of this i do believe that you will be able to put a flatline barrel on a ule. but from what i heard those barrels are heavy.

Dayspring
12-02-2003, 01:12 PM
Yeah. You can shoot farther, but your accuracy goes all to hell and the balls won't break at those long distances.

Meph
12-02-2003, 01:16 PM
There is no cocker-threaded or even A-5 threaded. Both A-5 and autocockers have the flatline attached with an adapter piece that bolts onto place, does not thread into place. Unlike the 98's which does thread into place.

So if you want one slapped onto your mag you would have to have your body custom milled with a special piece made specifically for the Flatline. Of course this wouldn't be cheap, probably! Depending who does the work.

FragTek
12-02-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Meph
There is no cocker-threaded or even A-5 threaded. Both A-5 and autocockers have the flatline attached with an adapter piece that bolts onto place, does not thread into place. Unlike the 98's which does thread into place.

So if you want one slapped onto your mag you would have to have your body custom milled with a special piece made specifically for the Flatline. Of course this wouldn't be cheap, probably! Depending who does the work.

No, you wouldn't NEED anything made for you if you had a cocker 2 98 thread converter.

Spaceman613
12-02-2003, 02:27 PM
Sorry frag...

You still cant orient the barrel on the ULE body. THATS why machined threads and a flatline dont work together. The M98 has cast threads which are the same on each and every gun. machined threads dont get oriented from one gun to another. Take a cocker threaded barrel.... put it on cocker A, now put it on cocker B... again on C did they all have the logo on the same location? See? the tap didnt align the same from body to body.

The only way to put a flatline on a ULE body CORRECTLY is to have a clamping adapter made to hold the barrel in the correct orientation. And if someone goes to this cost, a noraml twist lock body may be a better choice due to the amount of room in the breech.

FragTek
12-02-2003, 02:29 PM
The M98 flatline comes with a screw in clamp adapter that lets you adjust the barrel how u see fit though...

That's where I am failing to see why this won't work.

Spaceman613
12-02-2003, 02:34 PM
ever shot a paintball at a wall at a shallow angle? did it break?

ok, now put a 1-2 inch extension in the breech end of a flatline barrel. So you are shooting a paintball for 1-2 inches, then it hits the curve of the flatline (which is very abrupt. Think it wont break?

can it be mounted? yes. will it fire paintballs without breaking?

look at a flatline without the shroud, notice how the curve isnt gentle at the breech end? thats what the ball will be hitting after a short distance with your adapters.

FrAuStY
12-02-2003, 02:34 PM
Umm....I failed to see why you'd want a flatlined mag? Haven't we already agreed that flatline barrels do nothing other than look fugly, give you and extra 10 yds of INNACURATE range, and allow your opponents a chance to catch your paint and shoot it back?

FragTek
12-02-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Spaceman613
ever shot a paintball at a wall at a shallow angle? did it break?

ok, now put a 1-2 inch extension in the breech end of a flatline barrel. So you are shooting a paintball for 1-2 inches, then it hits the curve of the flatline (which is very abrupt. Think it wont break?

can it be mounted? yes. will it fire paintballs without breaking?

look at a flatline without the shroud, notice how the curve isnt gentle at the breech end? thats what the ball will be hitting after a short distance with your adapters.

That's the answer I wanted to hear like 50 posts back. Thank you.

Meph
12-02-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by FragTek

No, you wouldn't NEED anything made for you if you had a cocker 2 98 thread converter.

1) Good luck finding one!

2) Even if you have the adapters, do you know what the chances are of them aligning properly when compeltely screwed in so that the flatline adapter is at the 6-o-clock position? It won't happen!

FragTek
12-02-2003, 02:43 PM

2) Even if you have the adapters, do you know what the chances are of them aligning properly when compeltely screwed in so that the flatline adapter is at the 6-o-clock position? It won't happen!

Ever heard of a dremel? U take off the little flat spot so u can mount it an any position u want too :)

And WWA would prolly make that adapter at a decent price.

This is of course if you REALLY wanted a flatlined mag, I don't really think that would be a good move, but u could do it.

Meph
12-02-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by FrAuStY
Haven't we already agreed that flatline barrels do ...

Who's we? Is there a mouse in your pocket?

Obviously I'm not apart of this "we" you're talking about. Speak for yourself and yourself alone from now on. Do not ever speak on other people's behalf, especially an entire forum! You'll sound stupid, and on forums these days you don't want to.

Meph
12-02-2003, 02:46 PM
U take off the little flat spot so u can mount it an any position u want too :)

Get right on it! I'd love to see how successful that is.

FragTek
12-02-2003, 02:49 PM
Well u supply me the parts and I will make sure I get it to work. PM me if you need my address to send those parts too. ;)

ASDadam
12-02-2003, 08:31 PM
Ummm How was the flatline barrel mounted on the Autococker then? Did they use some type of adaptor or is theirs custom made with cocker threads. I'd be nice to get a flatline cocker and see how its put in.

rehme
12-02-2003, 08:39 PM
the flatline i shot was actually preaty accurate :confused:

melster
12-02-2003, 08:51 PM
I've been on the receiving end of some flatlines, and it wasn't fun. They definitely travel much further, but I don't know about accuracy.

Mag Master 04
12-02-2003, 09:27 PM
my 98 flatty there is an adapter that screws into the threads and then barrel slides into that and clamps tight, its a Biatch to get strait

cheetah256
12-02-2003, 10:01 PM
the entire point of the flatline is to shoot a flatter trajectory, hence the name. the distance is a nice side effect.

when you got a cocker fitted with a flatline barrel, you sent the whole thing into WGP, and they milled your body to accept the adaptor. this means the adaptor was *not removable.* that's why it won't work on a ULE body, unless you decided you really want to make a flatline mag, then just get one of doc nickels twist lock/cocker converters and use that, it'd be a hell of a lot cheaper, and align the same way ever time.

sneakyhacker420
12-02-2003, 10:12 PM
the reason they have the flatlines on some WGP cockers is because the threads are at the front of the breach, on the ULE bodies, they are further back, not allowing the adapter to thread in all the way and still accept the barrel setup

also, if you shoot a flatline on an angle, the flatline effect spins off to the sides, rather than up, forcing you to always fire with the gun in an upright position

and FYI: the M98 flattys max out at 9-11 BPS before they start breaking paint

FragTek
12-02-2003, 10:21 PM
Sneaky, you are missing a critical step in your explanation that contradicts everything about the flatline not mounting correctly due to recessed threads....

You need a cocker to 98 thread changer screwed in first, pushing the 98 threaded area out beyond the front of the ULE body making it possible to screw in the flaline adapter clamp....

sneakyhacker420
12-02-2003, 10:29 PM
but did they ever make cocker threaded adapters to accept m98 threads? i've seen cocker to m98, but never m98 to cocker

but this may also cause a problem, the ball would be traveling straight through the adapter, then suddenly hitting a curved surface, rather than traveling the curved surface from the start

just my opinion, but i think flatlines suck :o

speedyejl
12-02-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by sneakyhacker420
FYI: the M98 flattys max out at 9-11 BPS before they start breaking paint

Not saying your wrong but I've heard this alot. I can't really think of a reason why they would start breaking though. My only idea is that the balls are traveling at different speeds in the barrel (which is pretty abnormal) and they bump each other.

FragTek
12-02-2003, 10:38 PM
U would have to have a custom adapter made by WWA or someone like that.

And the balls would all break in the barrel like you mentioned.

speedyejl
12-02-2003, 10:49 PM
Ugh it seems a bit of a stretch, I mean why would they be a different speeds? Any so what if they bump... ugh

Meph
12-03-2003, 02:14 PM
You need a cocker to 98 thread changer screwed in first....

Frag, you mind giving a link to where this adapter exists? What aftermarket company sells cocker to 98 threads?

Dbl_Edge
12-03-2003, 02:41 PM
FYI the flatline cocker doesn'T accept any other barrels, and no other autococker accepts the flatline. That means no flatlines barrels are produced with autococker thread.

Jake

FragTek
12-03-2003, 02:41 PM
There isn't one. It would have to be hand made by someone like White Wolf... I stated that earlier in the thread.

TheTomBomb
12-03-2003, 02:53 PM
Someone said that the cocker flatline doesn't have threads, it clamps on. So, an adapter wouldn't work any way.

FragTek
12-03-2003, 04:45 PM
There would be TWO adapters required for installing a flatline on a mag.

The first adapter being a cocker/98 adapter, and then the stock flatline adapter that comes with the Flatline (which is a clamping system) would screw into the cocker/98 adapter... Then you would clamp in your Flatline to the Flatline adapter.

Kinda confusing :D

Meph
12-03-2003, 08:58 PM
Ah, so it's hand-built. Which will cost more than usual.

Frag, you're thinking way too much. KISS.

Just make a cocker-threaded adapter! Cut out the 98-threads and 98-flatline adapter piece all together. Just make it so you thread in the cocker threaded adapter and clamp the flatline into IT.

If it must be custom made might as well make it worth it and a better design.

doc_Zox
12-03-2003, 10:29 PM
http://thecog.bizland.com/reviews/flatline.html
http://thecog.bizland.com/reviews/WGP_Flatliner-5.jpg

FragTek
12-03-2003, 10:56 PM
If it must be custom made might as well make it worth it and a better design.

Agreed!

I think we should do this, though it may not work due to barrel break issues (which there may be a way to work out...) I am sure that there are people out there that would buy a Flatline mag, there has to be. Wouldn't u tend to think?

Go full scale with it, custom mag shroud and barrel adapter. All-out style. Maybe I will talk to Rogue about this :D

Woodsball Willy
09-12-2007, 03:20 PM
:rolleyes: Flatlined Mag = Awesome Idea
Custom autococker threaded clamp adaptor for m98 flatline barrel = Even better
The idea of milling your Mag body to fit a flatline properly = worth it

Does anyone have a line on someone who could mill one of these pieces? I'm officially on the hunt for a flatline barrel and a milling maniac.. I am also going to try it with a autococker to 98 with a flatline on the end and see if paint breaks!

Peace love and happiness people! haha

TheTramp
09-12-2007, 03:39 PM
Why not just use one of those Apex barrels? Don’t they have a very similar effect without any adaptors/conversion necessary?

DvS21
09-12-2007, 03:45 PM
apex ftw use the adapter to put the apex on a better barrel though, and Holy Necropost batman!

maniacmechanic
09-12-2007, 07:21 PM
apex ftw use the adapter to put the apex on a better barrel though, and Holy Necropost batman!

I know a couple guys that have APEX tips on DW Firburs they shoot straight & far & paint breaks if its good paint

craltal
09-12-2007, 08:50 PM
Holy Necropost batman!

yeah, a 4 year old thread being revived. I think this just might be close to a record...

ProblemKinder
09-12-2007, 11:26 PM
just my opinion, but i think flatlines suck :o

agreed. i bought a A-5 a long time ago that came with the flatline. i made about 80 bucks selling that flatline :headbang:

ProblemKinder
09-12-2007, 11:30 PM
yeah, a 4 year old thread being revived. I think this just might be close to a record...

i'm tempted to find the oldest post in this forum and revive it just to break the record :ninja:

warbeak2099
09-13-2007, 12:13 AM
Flatline barrels suck anyways. Use a regular high quality barrel. Accuracy is more important than being able to put a ridiculously crappy spread in the general vicinity of your target 150ft away. If they made a Flatline barrel that was actually accurate, I'd buy it. Before then, sorry, Flatlines are useless.

Ninjeff
09-13-2007, 12:44 AM
If your looking for the increased ranged...why not just a get an Apex barrel? AC threaded, and less picky on paint.

But maybe im missing a larger point.....or something specific you wanted with a flatlined automag. If thats the case i appologize. And carry on.....

Army
09-13-2007, 01:20 AM
Willy, you do realize this thread is nearly 4 years old....right?

/jus' sayin'

custar
09-13-2007, 06:07 PM
Flatline barrels suck anyways. Use a regular high quality barrel. Accuracy is more important than being able to put a ridiculously crappy spread in the general vicinity of your target 150ft away. If they made a Flatline barrel that was actually accurate, I'd buy it. Before then, sorry, Flatlines are useless.

True for speedball, but I've seen a Flatlined Double Trouble absolutely dominate in a scenario game. I couldn't have afforded the amount of paint that was used, but it was awesome to see that rig in action.

Go with an Apex on a cocker-threaded Palmer's barrel. That will achieve the same results as a Flatline but will actually work.

custar

warbeak2099
09-13-2007, 06:31 PM
True for speedball, but I've seen a Flatlined Double Trouble absolutely dominate in a scenario game. I couldn't have afforded the amount of paint that was used, but it was awesome to see that rig in action.

Go with an Apex on a cocker-threaded Palmer's barrel. That will achieve the same results as a Flatline but will actually work.

custar

That's because the only way you're going to hit anything with a Flatline is to belt out extreme amounts of paint.

custar
09-14-2007, 02:30 AM
There were roughly 200 targets in the area.

custar