PDA

View Full Version : Urgent! Anybody who knows cockers

soccer4minimags
12-02-2003, 09:02 PM
I was under the assumption that all rams and pump arms are compatible. Am I wrong, is it not a standard size. I just got a shocktech ram and it seems to not work with my stock pump arm. I don't believe the ram is messed up, looks fine, also my pump arm goes on my stock ram fine.
Any body else have an experience with this?
thanks

Ov3rmind
12-02-2003, 09:33 PM
How exactly is it not working? All rams and pump arms are compatable as far as I know. The only thing I could see is maybe Shocktech let some flawed rams go (it happened with their Bomb 3-ways).

Torbo
12-02-2003, 10:00 PM
do you mean that the parts will not screw together correctly?

sneakyhacker420
12-02-2003, 10:17 PM
i've had this problem, but i just ran it through my 10-32 die and scraped off the extra nickle plating, then it fit just fine :D

tony3
12-02-2003, 10:36 PM
explain alittle more, how doesnt it fit? the ram threads are bigger then the pump arm threads?

soccer4minimags
12-03-2003, 12:43 AM
sorry I didn't explin more thoroughly. it starts to thread like the first thread or two, but then stops. Just as if you were trying to put a too large of screw into a small hole. The threads on the ram look good, no flattened ones or striped ones or anything. the pump arm does still thread onto the ram I took it off of.
2 things I can think of would be, one its just slightly different threads on the ram. Or two, the inside of my pump arm is stripped or something where you can't see it.
Either way it looks like I'm gonna need a new pump arm, or at least find someone that has one I can try and see if thats the problem. :(
I am just really frustrated now, I've had nothing but problems with this kit. First time I get it, it was missing the 3 way shaft, and the ram was obviously bent. I sent it back, they replaced it. I get the new one, good, everythings here looks okay, now this. I haven't had a working cocker in like 2 months.
thank you sneaky, its 10-32 you say, I think I have a 10-32 tap but not a die (the one to thread holes-male. Maybe if I just do that with my pump arm.

Ov3rmind
12-03-2003, 12:45 AM
Your problem is more likely the ram. It sounds like the ano over the threads (or nickel/chrome) is too thick.

soccer4minimags
12-03-2003, 10:00 AM
Well I don't have a 10-32 tap I had 20 and 24, so I guess I'm going to lowes later. I did find a small screw that is 10-32 threaded, So I figured why not. I screwed it in the pump arm a few times. It would go and get stuck go and get stuck, so I would just keep backing it out and doing it again. I looks like its pulling out old loctite too, so maybe its just gunked up bad. Anyways it goes on the ram now and threads down as far as the screw was going. Not all the way though cause it was too short. But I believe I have fixed it, I just need a tap or a longer screw to clean up the rest of those threads.
Thanks guys.

AzrealDarkmoonZ
12-03-2003, 10:35 AM
WGP likes to red loctite everything, including the pump arm, so there is a chance that there is a buildup of loctite in the pump arm threads.

Az

Spaceman613
12-03-2003, 11:36 AM
10-32 isnt the ram thread.

take the pump arm to a hardware store and get a set screw or machine screw that fits in it... use that as a cleaning tool to remove the built up loctite.

I think the thread is 6-32, but dont quote me on that.

soccer4minimags
12-03-2003, 03:58 PM
Well I got it taken care of, it goes on all the way now. Spaceman, you were right it was 6-32, the screw I was using before was also 6-32. I sized them up at lowes and got another screw long enough to chase the threads.
I don't know what was in there, there was red loctite on it, but this stuff in the threads wasnt it, it didn't flake or crack like broken loctite does.
Anyways thanks for the help everyone.