PDA

View Full Version : Why have I never seen a scenario played like a millitary operation?

hitmanng
12-03-2003, 12:37 AM
Ok first I just wanted to say wow when did this place show up again..... oh sorry.

I was having this discussion a few scenarios ago with a member of the OMHW scenario team.
I hate playing at night because I have never been able to get nightvision to work well through a mask and I hate not knowing which team someone is on in the dark.
Then I spent some time on America's Army. Which is by far the best off field Scenario training simulator in existance.
What is comes down to is that if everyone just does thier own thing you can never really tell. To be effective you should send out squads with squad leaders that have communication to base and that know know where the other squads are. They cycle in and pick up new guys every 1/2 hr or so. Now you know. If it is not one of your squads it is the enemy and you no longer need to hesitate. Just shot.

Ok this seems simple. But why is it never done. Most scenarios are 2 or 3 teams, and a few walk ons, doing the work and a lot of people shooting at each other.

Any thoughts?

Hitmanng

rikkter
12-03-2003, 01:09 PM
because of walk ons mostly.
most 'small' teams that make up that one 'big' team use walkie talkies. i know the team i'm on does.
but its so much harder in a scenario due to it being so many people, and so many walk ons, and so many people that just dont care.

Tack
12-04-2003, 02:07 PM
I XOed a game in Sep. that ran much like you described with squads. Actually I set things up in Company style format with 4 company commanders and 4 company xo's. The CO of each company ran with the call sign "6" while the XO ran as "5". I.E. Bravo 6 and Alpha 5. The general and I ran with this style of system as well.

The only players who had our command freq was the company commanders and xo's and a small special forces unit who worked directly for me. That way, little Johnny isn't crying for his daddy on the command net while I am trying to organized a counter attack.

The game was a blast, and because of our well organized communications, and command structure I was voted my team's MVP. I gave away more paint than I shot during the game, but because I ran the radios, and worked the maps they thanked me for it.

The next game I played was complete chaos, everyone had the command net and I couldn't even get a communication connection with the general because of all the chatter

hitmanng
12-05-2003, 05:53 PM
Good, glad to see that someone has tried what I am talking about and that it actually worked. It should. Walk ons are not a problem because they simply join in with whatever squad is there when they insert. I realize some people are going to want to go out and shoot and that is fine they just have to know, especially at night< they may get a little friendly fire.
Thanks
Hitmanng

Stargazer54
12-15-2003, 01:16 PM
If you've ever been one of the people
attached to any of the earlier Ocala
Raider's sceanrios, you'll know that
there are people who employ much of
what you noted, including rados,
trail watchers, ready reaction teams,
code books, gridded maps and so on.

The problem with so many scenarios
is the lack of quality leadership. You
also find that a lot of players have
no conception of tactics, things like
what a 'delay' means, let alone care
about learning how to carry one out.
There are also a few players who come
just to shoot paint, not play a part
in a planned action. I usually asked
for a show of hands and took anyone
that fell into that role and set them
up as a harrasment team. They'd go
down and keep the opposition busy,
while the guys who came to play for
REAL ran the missions we needed to
perform. It worked out so well that
they eventually stopped letting our
core group play on the same side.
I'm sure others have done the same
thing as several have already noted.

One of my new goals is to stage an
event that will also offer anyone who
wants to sign up, a couple days worth
of Army Ranger type field training.
Plans call for this to happen mid
August 2004.

If you'd like to learn more, drop me
a note. Think you'll find we've got
some top notch people lined up as
staff, a great field to stage it on,
plus some elements that are going to
surprise a lot of folks.

Just remember, always cover your rear!

Andy, AKA 'Dorsai'
ADorsai@aol.cm

Smakman
01-10-2004, 10:55 PM
Leadership is always hard to find. Also, the majority of players don't want a command structure that is too rigid. They are there to have fun, not get stuck doing a job they don't like. Once again, thanks to Tack for his donation to the Fire Fall Objective.

Sir_Brass
01-10-2004, 11:08 PM
stargazer, here's a website I think you'll like. Tack and I both belong to this group, and it supports and encourages the excact thing you want to promote:

http://team.tacticalmarkers.com

paintballrules7
01-11-2004, 12:39 AM
Team Tactical markers(inwhich i belong to) has over a 100 members that play. Style of play is military style.

Stargazer54
01-11-2004, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the input, as well as
for the interesting link. You're
right, they're the type of group
I was looking for.
By the way, has anyone here ever
hear of Col. Danny McKnight? If
he was willing to head up a two
day course for players, would you
consider taking part? Please let
me know by posting here or via a
direct reply. My e-mail address
is ADorsai@aol.com

Andy Van Der Plaats

Virtual War Game Products (http://www.virtualwargameproducts.com)