PDA

View Full Version : Leaking from Power Tube, Help Please

jewie27
12-03-2003, 04:19 AM
I've had my own 'Mag for over two years without any problems. I've always known that in 'Mags that leak are caused by bad o-rings, but maybe not this time.

My friend who just got into paintball just bought an older Classic Level 7 Mag. His has a power tube spring, not a spacer. When I gas the gun up there is a very strong leak down the power tube. I know this because it stops when i hold the trigger back which tells me the on/off is ok. So I changed out the PT o-Ring with 3 different ones (new), and finally tried taking one out of the on/off. But it still leaked!

Then I figured it wasn't the o-rings. So it must be PT spring I thought. I took out the spring and grabbed a spacer from my ReTro Valve parts. (I'm pretty sure they are the same spacers used in the Classic Automag) I put each one in; .215, .220, .255 but all of them still didn't stop the leak. The leak slowed down on the smaller spacers but caused bolt stick. Nothing that I've tried has stopped that stupid leak. Since I have only 3 spacers do you think that I'm missing one that might work. I noticed the AGD Spacer kit online comes with 5 and my ReTro only came with 3. I even replaced the sear. Still leaks! I don't think the PT is cracked either. I used the Stock bolt and my friends ANS Phase II bolt on the Power Tube, with a new bolt spring with no luck. Spent over an hour and a half on this.

Will someone out there please help me? Maybe Tom Kaye if he reads this?

BlackVCG
12-03-2003, 11:20 AM
Try replacing the on/off BOTTOM o-ring. The o-ring that goes around the stainless steel bottom piece. When you pull and hold the trigger, you seal air off before that o-ring, so when you let off the trigger it will leak, but you'll think it's a PT problem.

Just to make sure everything else is good, put in a .225 spacer, stock AGD bolt, new bolt spring and a sear that's in good condition.

jewie27
12-03-2003, 07:46 PM
I replaced all of the O-Rings and tried the .225 spacer. It still leaks like a Kuwaiti Oil Field. I can't stop the leak!

I noticed one thing though... The brass piece under the on/off assembly looks like a damn ANS piece because it has very wide cuts on it. Not like the regular stock AGD part. I HATE ANS aftermarket because they have given me problems before. (Note that my gun has only factory installed AGD parts, and that the gun i'm working on now is my friends) I don't have factory parts to try on the gun because thats how it came.

The brass piece looks like it's too tall and when I snap in the on/off assembly into the valve body it won't stay in tight. It keeps popping out a little, and when I degas the gun and pull out the valve the on/off sometimes falls out. Could this brass piece cause the on/off not to seal? But it still sounds like a PT leak.

Please reply, cuz I'm very very very frustrated.

AGDlover
12-04-2003, 12:12 AM
hmmm this is a toughy i've had my mag for 8 days now and i know it inside and out. get the on/off assembly replaced and if it still leaks sent it to AGD and let them work on it. also i have a LVL7 and i got a spacer. did he buy it used? but look in his AGD owners manual and see if you can find the prob and try to fix it

jewie27
12-05-2003, 05:41 AM
Yes the 'Mag was used when he bought it. I probably can't send it to AGD because it has an ANS Phase II regulator on the valve, not the stock regulator. No stars or no factory parts will void your warranty. So they won't work on it, at least not for free. I'm thinking it's the ANS on/off top (brass disc) thats causing the leak. I'm waiting for one in the mail from ChuckTheMagician who is a member of this forum. He said he might trade is classic valve for a new X-Valve and send me his old on/off top. Until I get that part I won't know if it will work.

BlackVCG
12-06-2003, 03:21 AM
The first thing to do is switch everything to stock AGD parts and start debugging from there. Put in a stock AGD on/off assembly and see how that works.

jewie27
12-19-2003, 02:27 AM
ChucktheMagician sent me his old On/Off valve since he just traded an old A.I.R. Valve for an X-Valve. I replace the parts in the valve with his original parts. Then I used the .215 spacer instead of the old spring in the power tube. I gassed it up and it still had a small leak with the original level 7 bolt. Then I put back in the ANS 10 mod bolt and the leak stopped!!! Everything works great, but why wouldn't the leak go away using the stock AGD bolt? That's what I was wondering.

ChucktheMAGician
12-19-2003, 07:13 AM
It musta been that on/off since that's what you didn't have before:rolleyes: ;) :D

BlackVCG
12-19-2003, 04:24 PM
It is possible to have a stock AGD bolt that has a scratch or a worn sear latch area that causes a leak. You can find stock L7 bolts for dirt cheap, since most people just have them in their parts box because they have LX.