PDA

View Full Version : Reset total shot counter

Evil1
12-04-2003, 02:42 AM
A couple of weeks ago my total shot counter on my EMag reset itself it was at around 45,000+ shots and it went back to 0. Does the counter reset after a certain number of shots? Did I maybe do something to reset it? Is this a sign of a problem coming? The gun shoots good like always and I,m up to 15,000+ shots.

Southpaw
12-04-2003, 05:03 AM
It will reset if you use all of the juice out of the batt,or get the upgrade to 3.2,and i do believe if the positive terminal gets grounded. as far as i know no big deal w/ the reset or unforseen problems.

athomas
12-04-2003, 08:35 AM
Its ok. Mine resets all the time and it works like a top. Lots/most of the emags have shot counters that reset. Don't worry about it.

fire1811
12-04-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by athomas
Its ok. Mine resets all the time and it works like a top. Lots/most of the emags have shot counters that reset. Don't worry about it.

same here
a shot counter is a wast anyway:D

Miscue
12-04-2003, 11:02 PM
The EEPROM data disappears sometimes... particularly when power is really low.

Big_Chops
12-04-2003, 11:30 PM
mine reset at 50k and i think my battery was fine. o well

sneakyhacker420
12-05-2003, 02:06 AM
if you leave it on overnight or w/e it takes to completely drain the battery, the shot counter will reset itself

Evil1
12-05-2003, 02:38 AM
What does EEPROM mean?

Miscue
12-05-2003, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by AGDFlash
What does EEPROM mean?

Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory. Basically, it can remember stuff without power.

Evil1
12-05-2003, 01:58 PM
Thanks that explains why the total shots sometimes gets lost. It kind of makes me wonder if everything could disappear from the memory of the board. That is also probably what makes flashing a board kind of touchy.

SlartyBartFast
12-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Miscue
Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory. Basically, it can remember stuff without power.

Not quite I think. EEPROMs should stay programmed unless the reprogramming pin is powered or somesuch. Different from EPROMs that you erase by removing the sticker and placing them under a UV lamp.

Evil1
12-06-2003, 01:30 AM
You are probably right, but if the toal shots can be lost from the memory, whats to say other stuff couldn't be lost. I have never heard of that but it could probably happen.

Miscue
12-06-2003, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by SlartyBartFast

Not quite I think. EEPROMs should stay programmed unless the reprogramming pin is powered or somesuch. Different from EPROMs that you erase by removing the sticker and placing them under a UV lamp.

I don't know what you mean by "not quite." What I've said is exactly correct. An EEPROM can also be erased a byte at a time, versus having to do the whole thing. It is non-volatile memory, thus it can retain data w/o power.

Miscue
12-06-2003, 05:37 AM
You are probably right, but if the toal shots can be lost from the memory, whats to say other stuff couldn't be lost. I have never heard of that but it could probably happen.

Sure, other settings can be lost... and it resets to defaults when that happens.

SlartyBartFast
12-08-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Miscue
I don't know what you mean by "not quite." What I've said is exactly correct. An EEPROM can also be erased a byte at a time, versus having to do the whole thing. It is non-volatile memory, thus it can retain data w/o power.

I said 'not quite' because you said 'Basically, it can remember stuff without power'. Which, while ture, isn't really the defining capability of EEPROMs. All ROM chips retain their programming without power. It's RAM chips that may or may not retain information without power.

But it's been a while since I've spent too much time picking around at the chip level.

Evil1
12-08-2003, 12:52 PM
So if the EEPROM were to lose data it would just reset?

SlartyBartFast
12-08-2003, 02:14 PM
So if the EEPROM were to lose data it would just reset?

Can anybody post the part number of the EEPROM. This discussion has me interested and I'd like to look up the specs.
And for some quick explainations of ROM, PROM, EPROM, EEPROM, RAM start at:
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/P/PROM.html