PDA

View Full Version : Computer and Burner Drive hate each other

Lethargic
12-04-2003, 10:19 AM
Well, starting yesterday, my computer gave itself a new problem. I have a DVD burner/Combo drive set up, and up until yesterday afternoon it has been working just fine. However, yesterday I tried to reinstall the software so I could connect to my modem (Power outage wiped it's memory) Once I installed the CD, I noticed that it would not autorun, and didnt appear under My Computer. I checked Device Manager, and it has the exclaimation point icon, and says the drivers for the drive are missing or corrupted. I'm wondering how. I mean, don't IDE devices not need drivers? I heard this somewhere, might be wrong, but it also says that on the manufacturer's website.

Anyways... just wondering if anyone knew what I am doing wrong. I'm pretty sure at this point it is just a stupid error on my part.

pbzmag
12-04-2003, 12:09 PM
Remove it from device manager and reboot. When Windows reboots, it should see the DVD drive and install the drivers.

Lethargic
12-04-2003, 07:19 PM
OK, tried that, after rebooting, the drive still came up as non-working. The error message I get when I look at properties is this:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

Anyone else know what could be causing this? I never realized how much I actually use a CD drive until mine went down.

Tunaman
12-04-2003, 10:00 PM
Is the drive detected in the bios when you first boot up? You may have to reset configuration data in the bios. Load setup defaults too while you are at it.

Lethargic
12-05-2003, 08:36 PM
Tuna... not quite sure what you said, but it sure sounded smart:D The device is detected in device manager, but with XP, I'm not sure to get into bios. I can tell you that the drive is getting power, and is detected by the computer on startup. The problem seems to lie in the drivers.

Tron
12-06-2003, 12:47 AM
Do you have roxio installed or was it installed?

pbzmag
12-06-2003, 01:22 AM
Download the drivers from the Mfg website. Most likely the built in drivers are corrupt.

Lethargic
12-06-2003, 02:24 AM
I have roxio goback, and CD creator. Both were installed by me, the CD burner a few weeks ago, and Goback about a year ago.

Also , there are no drivers on the manufacturer's website, just a mesage that says drivers are not needed for that device.:rolleyes: :mad:

pbzmag
12-06-2003, 02:35 AM
Who is the Mfg of your DVD?

Tron
12-06-2003, 04:23 AM
Check out roxios website they have a faq on your exact problem.

Lethargic
12-07-2003, 03:39 AM
TRON is the MAN!!! Drive is back up and running flawlessly. Many thanks to Tron, Roxio, and the joys of regediting.

It is so pirated DVD time:D :D

MarkM
12-07-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Lethargic
Tuna... not quite sure what you said, but it sure sounded smart:D The device is detected in device manager, but with XP, I'm not sure to get into bios. I can tell you that the drive is getting power, and is detected by the computer on startup. The problem seems to lie in the drivers.

Ok good that you got it all working but BIOS is the same for any PC wether XP is installed or not...you just press the delete key when the pc is booting up and then you are in the BIOS....if you mean the registry, well still that is in the same place...just type regedit in the run dialog box or failing that go through explorer and make sure that show hidden files is allowed and do it that way, not a clever way and can cause a couple of hangs the first time or two it reboots, but it will work...XP is not that different from previous versions..just has a lot of built in tools that were aftermarket add-ins before.

Tron
12-07-2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by MarkM

Ok good that you got it all working but BIOS is the same for any PC wether XP is installed or not...you just press the delete key when the pc is booting up and then you are in the BIOS....

Not true there are probably 5 different keys you have to use for various motherboards. Though the default is Delete on most enthusiast boards, companys like Compaq and a lot of other major companies use other keys or key combinations to keep users out.

MarkM
12-07-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Tron

Not true there are probably 5 different keys you have to use for various motherboards. Though the default is Delete on most enthusiast boards, companys like Compaq and a lot of other major companies use other keys or key combinations to keep users out.

Enthusiast keyboards??? Every keyboard I have ever owned has the delete key and every keyboard I have ever owned allowed me to get into the Bios that way, sure later keyboards have a few extra buttons and some have the windows key to get you back to the start menu but thats it. If you are talking about Macs then that is indeed a different ball game and other than college I have never had the misfortume to ever have to go near a Mac again ;)
A keyboard is a keyboard wether or not it is connected via USB or a dedicated port.

Lethargic
12-07-2003, 11:32 PM
lucky for everyone, ITS FIXED!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Tron
12-08-2003, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by MarkM

Enthusiast keyboards??? Every keyboard I have ever owned has the delete key and every keyboard I have ever owned allowed me to get into the Bios that way, sure later keyboards have a few extra buttons and some have the windows key to get you back to the start menu but thats it. If you are talking about Macs then that is indeed a different ball game and other than college I have never had the misfortume to ever have to go near a Mac again ;)
A keyboard is a keyboard wether or not it is connected via USB or a dedicated port.

motherBOARDS... :rolleyes: