PDA

View Full Version : Old School player returning

Flapjack Kyle
12-04-2003, 01:23 PM
Hello all,

Have not been in the paintball world for about 5 years. I see much has changed...finally!

I owned an old automag years ago. Since it is been sold, and I am returning back into the fold, I woould like a few responses.

1) Why isn't AGD a name our there much anymore? Back in my day, you owned an Automag or an Autococker. Anything else was for beginners. Why do I not see too many ads or stuff for AGD markers?

2) My automag ruled! However, I think it might be time to step up to a higher level gun. Thinking about the RT (cannot afford a E or X mag...YET) I see that AGD has the new ULE RT for a good price. Any thoughts?

3) Can the ULE RT take nitrogen and compressed air? WHich is better? I always used CO2, but it was always fussy in the cold air.

4) Can anyone explain to me the way these nitro tanks are rated? 68ui, 88ci, etc... 3500psi, 4500psi, etc... I know that ui is cubic inches and psi is pounds per square inch, but what does that mean to a RT gun? Shots per fill, etc...

5)Does this ULE RT have that reactive trigger? This almost like a full auto, right?

I hope this is the place to post this. I know it seems like alot of questions, but I have been wondering about these for some time.

Any information will be helpful. Thanks in advance.

BlackHalo
12-04-2003, 01:42 PM
1) No idea why except that people always like new flashy stuff. All show and no go.

2) I wish this thing came out a week earlier...just paid for a new X-Valve and for the price plus about 150 I could have a complete gun. It's an excellent deal.

3) RTs ONLY take compressed/nitrogen don't try to run them on CO2. Basically compressed air is 80ish% nitrogen anyways, and the performance is almost the same. Just use compressed air unless you can get nitrogen fills cheaper.

4) First number is the size of bottle, the 2nd number is the pressure rating. Average shots is calculated at (10 * ci) for 3k psi and (15 * ci) for 4.5k psi. There is another number you missed which is the output pressure. If it's an unadjustable tank it's probably 800-850psi. If it's adjustable there will be a gauge to tell you what the output pressure is. On an RT this affects the 'reactivity' of the trigger. The higher the number the more the trigger will push back after a shot.

5) See the last part of 4. Not really auto, but if you pump up the input pressure a lot you can sweet spot it cause the trigger pushes back harder than you have to pull. I think Z-Man? has a thread on how to do this. I'm not sure if you can do this with the ULT (Ultra Light Trigger).

Hope this helps

Caffiend
12-04-2003, 01:48 PM
Well, welcome back to paintball. Happy to have you back. Hopefully I can answer a few of your questions.

1. I think the reason AGD isn't as big as some of the other companies out there is they don't advertise as much as them and they don't sponsor as many teams. Or at least any pro teams.

2. Go with the Custom RT. AGD just put it up and it's a GREAT deal.

3. The RT MUST use compressed air/nitrogen. They're more or less the same thing. I don't think one is better than the other, but I'm sure someone else knows for sure.

4. You got the just of it regarding tanks. I believe a 68 ci/3000psi tank is good for about a 1000 shots on the RT.

5. The RT has the reactive trigger, if you add the ULT (Ultra Light Trigger) it lowers the reactivity. It's not full auto, meaning you hold the trigger and it continues to shoot, it just means you can sweet spot so the trigger bounces off you finger and shoots. But it's still one shot/one pull. Look for a post by Z-man on it. Quite impressive.

Edit: Oops, BlackHalo beat me too the reply button :)

BlackHalo
12-04-2003, 01:51 PM
I thought you were talking about the Custom RT package, now that I re-read your post it seems you're talking about just the RT.

Go for the Custom RT it's 399 for a base model and you can pick and choose from a bunch of options for super cheap.

Edit: hee hee - and our answers were almost the same too. It's we're in highschool and we were cheating off of each other.

Flapjack Kyle
12-04-2003, 02:11 PM
Yeah, I was speaking on the new ULE RT Custom for $399. That is a darn good price.

Is the RT considered a low or high pressure gun?

BlackHalo, you mention in your reply on item#4 about adjustable tank with 800psi. I do not understand. I guess I should ask a sticky question, but here it goes.

What is a good setup for this gun as far as tank and pressure?

I always did a remote for my automag. I liked the lighter weight of the gun that way. But now, these things are made of aluminum, so they should be light already, right?

Thanks again for the very helpful information.

Caffiend
12-04-2003, 02:21 PM
The RT is a high pressure marker. I think it needs at least 750psi going into. Most high pressure output tanks should be fine. The adjustable part BlackHalo is taking about is the output pressure, how much pressure is going into the valve.

I use a flatline tank with input pressure of 900psi. I just picked up a max flo tank too, but I haven't tried it yet. The higher your input pressure, the more reactive the trigger is, but the less shots per fill also.

I don't like remotes and haven't seen too many except at scenario games. I'd recommend trying it with the tank on the gun to start out and if you don't like it, then go pick up the remote and the harness. But I think the gun should be light enough with the tank on.

Blackhalo, yes they're ALMOST the same to keep the teachers from catching on ;)

BlackHalo
12-04-2003, 02:31 PM
well most people consider it a high pressure gun cause it likes a nice high input pressure, but after the rt valve it's around 350ish? in the dump chamber. The ball only sees 65psi. I could be wrong, I'm pulling info from my caffiene charged brain right now.

There are 2 kinds of tanks in terms of output pressure.
There are the non-adjustable tanks which usually have an output pressure of 800-850psi or they have low pressure variaties with 400psi output. These tanks are generally cheaper but you won't be able to adjust the output pressure. This means you won't be able to take full advantage of the reactive trigger.

The adjustable tanks are more expensive, but then you'll be able to adjust the output pressure. This means you'll be able to adjust how much the reactive trigger pushes back on your finger after you fire.

I just have a non-adjustable tank because I don't have the funds to get an adjustable yet. If you go this route go with one of the 800-850psi variaties. Optimally, if you have the funds, get an adjustable one. Then you can tweak it to your liking.

If you get all UL parts then the thing will be light anyways. For things like this it's preference.

Edit:
Caffiend - D'oh! this time you were faster...time for another cup of Coffee!

abarnhar
12-04-2003, 02:37 PM
Welcome to AO!

Halo and Caffiend have been giving some great info here. But, I'll throw in my $0.02.

I run an Air America Raptor on my RT. It's a fully adjustable tank (200-1000psi). Being able to dial in your pressure makes a ton of difference. If you are going to get the RT, I would push you to purchase an adjustable.

Also, the adjustable needs to be a high-flow tank. What this means is that the regulator on the tank, which allows you to adjust your pressure, cycles quickly. A slow cycle on your tank reg and you'll experience shoot-down (loss of pressure) or misfires. The AGD Flatline, SP Maxi-flow (boo), and the Raptor are a few high-recharge tanks that come to mind.

Hope that helps!

Flapjack Kyle
12-04-2003, 03:00 PM
I will tell you that this is the most user-friendly bunch of guys I have ever met on a board. No rude remarks, no insults, etc... I find this quite refreshing.

So, this is a good thought:

If I do not have a huge amount of money:
Non-adjustable tank. High pressure. 800-850psi
input. Prolly a 68ci
4500psi. Should yeild around 1000 shots. Will properly
run a ULE RT Custom which has the reactive trigger on
it. Quality brands? any suggestions?

If I have more money:
Adjustable tank. High pressure. 800-850psi. Still a
68ci 4500psi. SHould still throw 1000 shots. Quality
brands?

Do I have this right? Any corrections or something I do not seem to quite grasp?

Your information is being more than helpful.

BlackHalo
12-04-2003, 03:09 PM
I could throw in some insults if it would make you feel better...ahem "you have big ears and smell funny". Is that better?

Non-adjustable - Crossfire is usually pretty good...I have an ACI Bulldog 3 that has a slow leak and a PMI Pure Energy that works great but is about as heavy as my car.

Adjustable - well since you can adjust it the range is much higher than 800-850psi ;). abarnhar mentioned the AGD Flatline, SP Maxi-flow (boo), and the Raptor by AirAmerica. But I have no experience with these so I can't say. My friend has a MacDev 03 Conquest that's super light that he likes.

Edit: added a bit more info
Edit 2 : Caffiend - yep I even switched to dark roast. You can take the next hour or so cause I'm going for lunch. ;)

Caffiend
12-04-2003, 03:13 PM
abarnhar threw in a good point about being high flow. And yes, boo on the Max-flo, but woohoo if it's used :)

I don't have any direct experience with any non-adjustable tanks, but I think crossfire or nitro duck should be a good starter tank (I think). Hopefully someone can give some more info.

Enjoy your new RT :D

And don't forget the motorized hopper.

Edit: I take it that cup of coffee helped Halo :) Maybe I should quit watching the Fresh Prince and post a bit faster...nawwww

abarnhar
12-04-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Caffiend
4. You got the just of it regarding tanks. I believe a 68 ci/3000psi tank is good for about a 1000 shots on the RT.Alright pancake man :D (my weak attempt at an insult):

Just a quick clarification, a 68ci/3k should yield about 1000 shots. I get about 850-900 out of mine depending on what pressure I'm running it at. If you gear up with a 68ci/4500, you'll be getting around 300 more shots per fill when compared to a 3k.

Also, one of these two chaps mentioned the Macdev (I think it was BlackHalo). I've heard good things about the Macdev, but if price is a concern... eh. You might do a search of this forum of like "rt tanks" or something of that nature. I know several threads have been started about what is the best high-flow system to use with a RT.

Caffiend
12-04-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by abarnhar
Alright pancake man :D (my weak attempt at an insult):

hey, it's the thought that counts right :)

well kyle, if you have any more questions feel free to ask. search these forums and you should be able to find out some more info and if you have a local paintball shop, go in and ask them what they'd recommend.

hope you enjoyed your lunch halo, it's time for me to go to work :(

Flapjack Kyle
12-04-2003, 05:23 PM
Yes, everyone is a help. I appreciate the information. I will do a little more searching on this site, and start asking the shops in town.

Thanks again.

SlartyBartFast
12-04-2003, 05:25 PM
A custom RT with a ULT, Intelliframe, and a Warp Feed are now 60$US (100$CAN)cheaper through AGD than paintballgear.com :eek:

Looks like the best deal going to me. Guess it's time to look at the value of some shares I have. :p

Custom RT from AGD, Crossfire Tank and HALO from paintballgear. About 1200$CAN.

It's still a lot of cash for a toy.....:p

SlartyBartFast
12-05-2003, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by bunkerhugger
Before you buy a tank check to see what pressure fills you can get in your area. If no one fills to 4500psi there is no point to owning a tank that can go this high. 3000psi is always a safe bet as you can get a scuba tank and fill your gun off of that.

True enough if the price difference between 3000psi and 4500psi is significant. Seems to me that it's just a little more to have the possibility of 4500psi fills.

A couple of scuba shops and industrial air places around here can fill to 4500psi even is I can't get it at a field. And if a field does get 4500psi, I want to be able to take advantage of it.