PDA

View Full Version : New to automag's......

SHOCKandAWE
12-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Hi,
I am new to this site and new to automag's. I am considering getting one or building my own but I don't know what parts I need to build my own from scratch. Should I build a custom automag, or should I just wait until the tac-one's come out?
Also how does an automag work? Are they fast? What are the best upgrades for an automag? How reliable are they? I hope you guys can help me out.

i_baked_cookies
12-05-2003, 07:52 PM
the tac one will be a nice mag and will be a great addition to any mag owners collection, and also a good starter gun

mags work using a blow forward design. most other paintball guns use a blow back design. there are advandages to both, and also disadvantages. the main difference between the two is that the mag (blow forward) use gas to blow the bolt forward, and a spring returns it. a blow back uses a spring to shoot the bolt forward, and gas to return it.

are they fast?- yes... depending on the upgrade. emags and xmags are fast because they are electric. a stock 68 automag with single trigger is not very fast. a double trigger would fix that because you can get more leverage on the firing mechanism by having a longer trigger. an xvalve with ULT is the ultimate mechanical setup. will beat anything...

upgrades- the best upgrade for a stock 68 would be the intelliframe. the best triggerframe out there for mags. comes in 2 versions of black and 1 nickel version. also, you can get a blade or double trigger. the sorta-new ULE line includes a new ULE body which is centerfeed (a big plus when saving space) and is 54% lighter than the stock stainless steel bodies. they also come in 7 colors and look sharp.

theres my 2 cents

SHOCKandAWE
12-05-2003, 07:57 PM
wouldn't it be costly to build a custom mag or would you be better off buying a stock one and working your way up.

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
12-05-2003, 08:38 PM
I would recommend buying the new ULE RT with an X-valve for 410, 500 with a intelframe or y-grip

m0l0t0v
12-05-2003, 08:46 PM
Can't you run a mag on CO2?

Wrathchild
12-05-2003, 08:51 PM
Welcome to AO>

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
12-05-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by m0l0t0v
Can't you run a mag on CO2?

classic valve mags can run on c02

preferably anti-siphoned and x-chamber

or

siphon and remote

m0l0t0v
12-05-2003, 08:56 PM
could a minimag or a 68automag run on an anti syphon co2?

SHOCKandAWE
12-05-2003, 09:42 PM
the only problem is I have to get permission to trade or sell my 2000 shocker before I buy a mag.Even with the extra cash I won't have enought for a RT (i don't like them anyways).

Wrathchild- thanks

SHOCKandAWE
12-06-2003, 12:34 AM
which is better a minimag or a 68 automag?

ERut
12-06-2003, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by SHOCKandAWE
Hi,
I am new to this site and new to automag's. I am considering getting one or building my own but I don't know what parts I need to build my own from scratch. Should I build a custom automag, or should I just wait until the tac-one's come out?
Also how does an automag work? Are they fast? What are the best upgrades for an automag? How reliable are they? I hope you guys can help me out.

No, I wouldn't build a "custom" mag. For starters, it would be pricey. Plus you really can't make a "custom" mag like you can with cockers and such. There's just not enough stuff out there to make your mag different from everyone else's. Besides, with the Tac-ones coming out, the resale value of used mags will tank, and you could pick one up for real cheap.

A mag uses a blow-forward design; they're extremely simple and extremely low mantainence. As for speed, the classic valve can cycle up to 16 times per second, and the retro/x valves are insanely fast, I think they've been clocked around 50 cps. So yes, mags are very fast for mechanical guns.

Mags are super reliable. I would go so far as to say that anyone who buys a new mag is a sucker. My mag has an x-valve, ULE body, and intelliframe, and once I sold all the stuff that came with it, I ended up with a good-as-new mag for $275!

ERut
12-06-2003, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by m0l0t0v
could a minimag or a 68automag run on an anti syphon co2?

Yes, but it will always be better to use compressed air.

which is better a minimag or a 68 automag?

They're both exactly the same except that the minimag has a longer body, and the original minimag valves come with four repair star thingies, but that really doesn't matter that much. The mini will be slightly heavier stock.

SHOCKandAWE
12-06-2003, 12:06 PM
I am talking to a guy about an automag. It's a automag classic with single trigger frame, stock body with right feed shortened, new milled rail (this thing is tight a$$),
CP reg., super long cradle and a raptor 68 ci. 3000 psi tank (i think), a level 10 bolt, and stock valve. Should I trade my shocker for it?

SHOCKandAWE
12-06-2003, 05:30 PM
Is that a good deal or is it bad because his gun is really nice.

68magOwner
12-06-2003, 06:40 PM
sounds preety fair, just upgrade that trigger frame as soon as possible, even if you just get a double trigger for the stock frame.

SHOCKandAWE
12-06-2003, 07:43 PM
yea I want to get a 90* frame for it from logic paintball

coolcatpete
12-06-2003, 07:58 PM
Wellcome to AO, We are better than everyone else.
Pete.

SHOCKandAWE
12-06-2003, 09:10 PM
thanks coolcatpete

so no one thinks I should trade my shocker for that?

ERut
12-06-2003, 10:48 PM
I am talking to a guy about an automag. It's a automag classic with single trigger frame, stock body with right feed shortened, new milled rail (this thing is tight a$$),
CP reg., super long cradle and a raptor 68 ci. 3000 psi tank (i think), a level 10 bolt, and stock valve. Should I trade my shocker for it?

CP reg? Did you mean gas through grip? If it really is a regulator, get rid of it, its just going to starve your gun for air.

What kind of shocker is it? You should play the electro card and see if you can get him to add some cash.

SHOCKandAWE
12-06-2003, 11:06 PM
yea I meant gas thru grip, and it' a 2000 shocker

sneakyhacker420
12-07-2003, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata

classic valve mags can run on c02

preferably anti-siphoned and x-chamber

or

siphon and remote syphon and remote, WTF are you thinking!?

no anti syphon and remote will work

but remotes suck

regular co2 tank with vertical expansion chamber and palmers sideline stabilizer is the way to go... CO2 will NEVER touch the valve, nor will it ever freeze up on you