PDA

View Full Version : moving onto a new gun (suggestions)

SP87
12-06-2003, 06:10 PM
Right now I have a Tippmann with quite a few upgrades. RT trigger. teardrop barrel, drop, and grips. nothin special
I haven't been playing very often at all. especially since winters coming up. but hopefully i can sell the tippy.

I dont like my setup much right now. It has a few chopping problems. bad accuracy due to inconsistency. Too big for speedball. not very comfortable.

Now just a little past winter i'd like to start playing paintball about once every 2-3 times a week tops. A lot of my friends have imps but i don't really want one.

After the holiday seasons i'm looking to buy a new gun. one thats a little smaller, consistent, and not a blowback. A gun that will perform as well as an imp. (not necessarily saying I want an electro) But does anyone have a suggestion as to what gun i should buy. I feel comfortable with both electros and mechanical. they have there ups and downs.

I just need to figure out what setup i'm gunna aim for. from what i've been looking at. I've been somewhat interested in B2k3's, BKO's. AGD just started selling the custom ULE RT's. and that seems great. for 440. i can get everything on there except the intelli. also, my shop sells a 2k2 cocker for 250.

What setup should i buy that definitally won't be a mistake. I want to spend around 400 to start. and I want something i'll be happy with

And another very important point. I like to play back. I want a nice setup that can be used for a back player.

And I really don't play all that much. but i'd like to play atleast once a month. i'm not a paintball freak.

TheDuelist
12-06-2003, 06:19 PM
Well you are posting on a mag forum so expect some bias. I say get a mag whether its an RT or Classic. The RT deal is really sweet and for a little bit of money will get you into a really sweet marker. A strong selling point for the mag is its durability. I've had a classic that sat on a shelf in a garage for well over two years without firing a single shot. My brother pulled it down, hooked air to it and fired it without a single problem. We used it on the field the following day without a single problem.

Ease of maintenance is another factor. A couple drops of oil prior to every day of play and you good to go. Rebuilding a reg is very easy and there isn't a timing issue like you have with cockers.

These are just a couple of bullet points. I'm sure you will get a few more reccomendations about this or that. In the end it is your cash and its what you feel the most comfortable shooting. Good luck in your search and I hope this helped in some way.

68magOwner
12-06-2003, 06:28 PM
the new custom RT's are IMO the best deal in paintball, also, mags are great tourney guns, in fact i just used mine in a tourney today and it can definately keep up with the electro's (there were plenty of timmy's and angel's, they could shoot faster when shooting from long ranges, but close up snapping when theyve gotta be really quick, i shot faster almost every time, and i play front, so its grate for me), also if your not gonna get the intelle for it, i suggest gettin a Z grip, i have one on mine, and im in love, its so easy to keep tight, and shoot fast. Also if you want something smaller, mags are tiny, and as for the other guns, ive owned, and shot plenty of cockers, i just dont like them as much as my mag because theres so many things to go wrong with cockers, that sometimes you dont have enough time between matches to fix it (not saying they all will break, just saying, its more likely than a mag) and ive never used a BKO, so i cant comment on those

pbguru89
12-06-2003, 09:17 PM
i would agree with magowner (or whatever his stupid ,fast shooting ,self's name is). i got my classic timmy for 450. invest about 250 more into the gun and you'll have a gun compatible to those of pros (lasoya timmy and such). people do not realize the only difference between the classic timmy and the other timmys. the other timmys only have a clamshell (dont see why it is so necessary, maybe someone can fill me in) and the board so lets add it up. the internals are slightly different,but it is your choice to upgrade it

timmy 450
was board 120
clammy (if u really need it) 150

other timmys ranges from 600-1200

also you can get your classic body milled out into the best body you have ever seen before. so then your timmy will be the cheaper, better looking, highest resale value and compatible towards any other timmy. yeah ive seen timmys with the ripper bodies go for 1300.

68magOwner
12-06-2003, 11:25 PM
lol, finally, u admit im "fast shooying" but, you no im more than "fast shooting" 23bps is a lil more than "fast" lol, dont hate jaimal :D

UltimatePaintballer
12-06-2003, 11:32 PM
why are you questioning this, the custom rt mags are the deal of a lifetime! DON"T PASS IT UP!!!!!!!!!

snwbrdr913
12-06-2003, 11:34 PM
I'd just like to chip in that since I bought my cocker and put new parts on it, I've NEVER had a problem with timing, just with faulty shocktech parts that cost 205$ to replace. A mag is good, so are cockers. But since you don't want a blowback, that really really cuts down the field since thats how most markers are made. I'd say go with the cocker if your going to be playing back just because you get a little flatter shot over distance with it as opposed to the mag, but those are good too. I use both pretty well up front, but I prefer my cocker (alot of that goes to the shocktech frame that makes your hands postioned more like on a mag)

Athius
12-06-2003, 11:34 PM
Get a BKO $279

elpimpo
12-06-2003, 11:35 PM
you could probbly find a used angel for around ur price range. then all ud need is a hopper and a tank

TheDuelist
12-06-2003, 11:35 PM
He was asking for a reccomendation for a marker that isn't a blowback design. That leaves the Intimidator out.

ERut
12-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Whats your price range?

Tyril
12-06-2003, 11:54 PM
I'm a fan of mechanical markers so I'll only comment on them.

If you want a mag for fun tourney play:

Take advantage of AGD's awesome ULE X pro deal. Seriously, if I didn't own an X pro, I would buy one this week.

If you want a mag for rec play:

Wait a few weeks for Old School RT's prices to drop even more, then pick up a nice one for ~$250.

If you want a cocker:

Get a CCM Series 5. Best mech cocker ever.

-mike

$tevo
12-07-2003, 10:55 AM
its all preference. you dont want to spend much more then 400, then the RT Pro is an awesome deal. But then you will still need Nitro, unless you have it already. If you only play once in a while and want a gun you can just pick up off the shelf knowing it will work, then deffinitally go with AGD.

If you want a gun thats a little more maintnance, more moving parts, but still a great gun, cockers are also good. but im not sure if you can get a cocker thats compares to the RT pro for 400.

SP87
12-07-2003, 11:05 AM
Unless i just ended up paying extra for the B2k3 PDS. but I dont even think i'd do that.

Anyways, the Timmy isn't out of the question.
thats actually a pretty good idea. Classic Timmy?

I'm thinkin about it

the custom RT ULE sounds like a pretty nice deal.

Well after the holiday season i'll probably make up my mind. but i'm still lookin to see what people say.

pbguru89
12-07-2003, 11:34 AM
ya go to pbnation and search for ripper and scroll down till you find one. one got offered a nyx trix. it is all up to you, but if you do get a classic the first upgrade has to be the was board.

Creative Mayhem
12-07-2003, 11:40 AM
I have had my Classic min for 12yrs. NEVER have i had ansingle issue with it... IT ALWAYS WORKS! I now use an Xmag, the recharge rate is insane.. even on manual mode it shoots insanely fast. Get the RT deal, you get what you an awesome marke to start with and add ULT to the xvalve and man, that thing will sing! If I didnt have the markers already and wasn't working on a new project, I would definately take advantage of the RT deal. You CAN'T beat the price and value.

ERut
12-07-2003, 11:35 PM
If you want a mag, buy it used. Especially with the Tac-one coming out, mag resale value will tank.

Evil1
12-08-2003, 02:49 AM
Hands down the ULE RT is awesome and it is really good deal, plus you could put the ULT in it and have a near electro trigger pull with all mechanical parts.