PDA

View Full Version : New Transparent Canoe/Kayaks...

pputkowski
12-07-2003, 11:16 AM
"This kayak/canoe hybrid has a transparent polymer hull that offers paddlers an underwater vista of aquatic wildlife and waterscapes unavailable in conventional boats."

Looks like it'd be prety fun. Especially if you lived somewhere on he coast with reefs and stuff. Thoughts?

Rest of the info is here (http://www.hammacher.com/publish/10343.asp?promo=sp_waterfun)

http://www.fallingaway.com/ao_upload/kayak.bmp

gamarada717
12-07-2003, 11:41 AM
Sweet! When I was like 5, I thought it would be cool to have the bottem of cars to be see through.....but now that I think about it, you would see much of anything. lol, to bad I'm landlocked, so I would have to go a ways to get clear water.

land hurricane
12-07-2003, 01:11 PM
Looks like it'd be prety fun. Especially if you lived somewhere on he coast with reefs and stuff.

Heh, when i went to mexico we went kayaking of the reef.. too bad my kayak flipped over and my back was cuts-cuts-cuts.. heh..

but yeah, kayaking is fun. If i lived by an ocean or a decent river I would probably try to get into it.

Thordic
12-07-2003, 03:11 PM
Usually the bottoms of boats gets pretty scratched up, you'd have to be super-careful with that thing.

Bad_Dog
12-07-2003, 08:14 PM
and on another note, whenever I'm in a kayak or conoe or any other small boat, the bottom of the vessel is (or eventually gets) covered with dirt, mostly from getting in and out of the boat. Also, there usually seems to be some amount of water in the bottom of the boat, also from getting in and out of the boat. Now the combination of the two convinces me that having a clear bottomed boat would give you a dirt covered distorted window to all the stuff beneath.

Thats my opinion

03vert
12-07-2003, 08:54 PM
what about those of us that like to kayak nude?! its obvious that they didnt think this through...

FalconGuy016
12-07-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Bad_Dog
and on another note, whenever I'm in a kayak or conoe or any other small boat, the bottom of the vessel is (or eventually gets) covered with dirt, mostly from getting in and out of the boat. Also, there usually seems to be some amount of water in the bottom of the boat, also from getting in and out of the boat. Now the combination of the two convinces me that having a clear bottomed boat would give you a dirt covered distorted window to all the stuff beneath.

Thats my opinion

Wont the dirt come off when you kayak? I still think its cool, even with scratches you get the big picture.

Bad_Dog
12-07-2003, 10:16 PM
what about those of us that like to kayak nude?! its obvious that they didnt think this through...

I feel sorry for the fish:eek: :D

fcpchop
12-07-2003, 10:57 PM
wow thats awesome

Yamz
12-08-2003, 03:10 AM
who needs a clear boat when a mask and air tank (some other things im to lazy to list) get me a much better view

CaliWagon31
12-08-2003, 08:01 PM
whoever made those is gunna make some cash with those, alot of people would want to do that, especially if they cant swim or are landlocked and want to go on vacation close to an ocean or something and want to get a close but not to close view

Lopy-slopy
12-08-2003, 09:39 PM
I do alot of canoeing and kyaking, and all I can say about that is, BE CAREFUL. Sand+The bottom of that boat=No more pretyy view. Serious, sand will scratch that baby up so fast it may as well of been a solid color. As long as you are willing to be crazy carefull with that and wash it alot, cuz it will get dirty, it would be pretty cool.

It would only be useful in very clear watter, like the oceans down south. If you live up here in canada, all you would see it dark watter when you looked down.

I'm more into rapids, so I wouldn't be very interested in that.
now this is a boat.

http://www.swiftcanoe.com/canoes/catalogue/images/dumoine.jpg

You can beat the *poo* outa theis and they keep comign back for more. But their also awsome boats.

PyRo
12-09-2003, 12:01 AM
I'm sure if you scratched it up there is a way to restore the view somewhat. I know on my old cheap sports watches when the lense got his it would get a nasty which scratch that some gas/paint thinner/denatured alchol or other solvent would take care of.

sps16
12-09-2003, 12:28 AM
Thats pretty sweet

Muzikman
12-09-2003, 04:32 PM
Wel, seeing as I do all my kayking on rivers and the sort, I can't really see the bottom anyway. I honestly don't see the importance of a clear Kayak, it's not like you can't turn your head and look down.

As other people have pointed out, Kayaks take a beating, you should see my white water boat, it looks like someone took a grinder to the bottom.

Lopy-slopy
12-09-2003, 05:27 PM
Well if you took that baby down a rapid you would be a grade A moron. River boats take a beating, and you probibly wouldn't be able to see below much. But come to think about it, the view you would get from that would be pretty cool in a rapid, seeing the watter moving and frothing all around you AND below you.

PyRo
12-09-2003, 05:51 PM
I would take it down a rapid for 10 bucks :)

Hexis
12-09-2003, 06:42 PM
That would be cool for my style of Canoeing (wet boot, canoe bottom never touches anything except water), except it has no Yolk, how would you portage it?

Muzikman
12-09-2003, 08:58 PM
Give me some better floats and I'll take that bad boy down some Class III :)

Zumina
12-09-2003, 11:14 PM
Ill like the flu.

FragTek
12-09-2003, 11:17 PM
Those are pretty cool!