PDA

View Full Version : Using Army Surplus For Equipment?

dyst0pia
12-07-2003, 01:03 PM
I was curious as to whether you guys have any ideas/tips for using Army Surplus gear to create equipment for use in Scenario games. I have a whole "webbing" gear pack, like the suspenders w/the belt and all the pouches, and I am considering modifying it to carry pods? Does this sound feasible to anyone?

What do you guys use to carry paint? I suppose I could always use a regular harness, but I would like to try this first.

Also, does anyone know of any scenario games in Indiana? Perchance?

kemikos
12-07-2003, 10:47 PM
Sure, not a problem. I usually use a web belt/suspenders setup myself. Depending on what I want to play with, I can swap pod packs, holsters, and various other pouches on and off fairly easily.

If I'm using a standard marker setup, I can attach a three-pod belt pack and a fanny pack to hold a remote tank. If I decide I want to play with just the pistols, I can toss on a couple of holsters and a few pouches for 12-grams and 10-round tubes. I have a radio pouch that attaches to the suspender at about shoulder level, and I adapted a small clip that I can hang grenades from, should I feel inclined. :D

It was so nice of the U.S. military to spend so much money and effort to design an efficient and comfortable modular gear-carrying system for us paintball players, wasn't it? ;)

All kidding aside, though, you should be happy with surplus gear. I've found that it tends to be sturdier than most paintball-specific harnesses, too.

And I know MXS has 2 scenario games scheduled in LaPorte, IN, next year; I haven't checked the other producers' schedules yet.

Kenn

Hephaestus
12-08-2003, 12:13 AM
My most comfortable setup.
http://server4.uploadit.org/files2/081203-Harness.jpg

Sir_Brass
12-08-2003, 01:51 AM
LBV's do make nice pball harnesses, but COPS911 still tops it all :D. Designed by a guy who makes police tac vests, he just adds compartments made for paintball instead of ammo clips and grenades :D.

But as far as surpluss, you can't go wrong with LBV's :D.

Hasty8
12-15-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by dyst0pia
I was curious as to whether you guys have any ideas/tips for using Army Surplus gear to create equipment for use in Scenario games. I have a whole "webbing" gear pack, like the suspenders w/the belt and all the pouches, and I am considering modifying it to carry pods? Does this sound feasible to anyone?

What do you guys use to carry paint? I suppose I could always use a regular harness, but I would like to try this first.

Also, does anyone know of any scenario games in Indiana? Perchance?

Here's what I use, mostly purchased straight from BlackHawk Industries (http://www.blackhawkindustries.com/)

I use a padded patrol belt and a hydrostorm compatible web gear from their Harness, Rapelling and Load Bearing section. Essentially, it's an H-suspender with a pouch to accomodate a hydrostorm pouch [camelback cooler]. To carry my pods I use two 3 pod carriers from Redz Padz which are hooked one to each leg and have handy leg straps. If I am using my Zeus sidearm I usually put the pods on my left leg and my tac-holster on my left. The holster holds two xtra clips and three powerlets.

Altogether I take 6 150 rd pods onto the field which is usually more than enough. Add a simple climbing carabiner to the suspenders D-ring and you have a handy hook for carrying your mask around while off the field. Finally, a duty pouch attached to the belt or suspenders holds my pull through squeege, goggle wipes and cleaner, some cash, my player id cards, my car keys and my slip pack of allen keys [which are only used to tighten something that ight come loose, never to adjust marker setting while on the field].

If I am using one of my M98 Customs or the Armotech WP-75, both of which have fixed stocks I will use the snap-sling rifle sling. If I am using my A-5 I have a really cool clip that attachs to the rear ring on the A-5 and to a d-ring on my suspenders. I stole this clip from an airsoft holster for the MP5/Mac10 models. It's lik an underarm holster for the weapon. Very cool. In this set-up I traditionally use a weapons catch on my belt to pervent any wild swings. If I am using any of my other marker I just have to carry them.

I know it sounds like a lot but in all honesty, only one or two minor things change, depending on what marker I am using. Using army surplus is really great for scenarios games because it really can add a tremendous intimidation factor when you and several of your friends are all kitted out smartly.

I often play with a few of my brothers Corps buddies and the intimidation factor when you see these guys walking the prep area is intense.

Hasty8
12-15-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Sir_Brass
LBV's do make nice pball harnesses, but COPS911 still tops it all :D. Designed by a guy who makes police tac vests, he just adds compartments made for paintball instead of ammo clips and grenades :D.

But as far as surpluss, you can't go wrong with LBV's :D.

I agree. Cops911 has some really nice stuff but Flurry Industries (http://www.flurryindustries.com/) sells some really nice paintball tac vests that are very reliably built and are much cheaper in cost that C-911.

I would only use C-911 for tac sidearm holsters or if you wanted to order your own custom vest.

I currently own several of their holsters. Very nice.

Coal-Cracker
12-17-2003, 12:43 PM
While I really only use military surplus for clothing, I'm sure if imagination is applied, it could lend itself in uncountable ways.

Currently, I get the majority of it from www.sportsmansguide.com.
Check these guys out if you haven't already. They carry virtually anything you could imagine. From domestic to European Eastern Bloc. Furthmore, their prices are untouchable.

Buyer beware though. Keep in mind, more often than not the military makes its buying decisions on nothing more than the lowest bid.

Rick927
12-26-2003, 02:30 PM
I use nothing but military/LE gear, only problem I have run into is finding pod pouches that fit. Large magazine pouches work good(AK47x3)but thay are limited to 100ct pods.All the other web gear is much tougher than pb stuff, except maybe the flurry type stuff. It's good gear.

DBDmike
12-28-2003, 05:30 PM
I've been through a ton of military and LE gear for scenario ball, as well as the Flurry vests. Now don't get me wrong, Flurry is nicely made but if you are over 12 years old its just too tiny and they don't have larger sizes. COPS911 makes every vest custom to your dimensions-- for anybody who has humped gear all day long, you cannot put a value on something that distributes weight properly across your frame. Comparing price points between the Flurry and C-911 vests is like comparing cost between a VW and a Ferrari. An Xmag costs more than a Splatmaster but you don't hear anybody arguing for the latter as if they were the same.

If you just want to say "I have a vest", Flurry is OK. But if you want a vest that actually works and improves your game, drop the extra fifty bucks and get a real vest (that's the price of a case of paint and it will serve you for years)

Talk to anybody who has a COPS911 vest and you'll find out it has become an indispensible part of their gear.

Mike "marksman" Marks
Dead By Dawn

Rick927
12-28-2003, 05:46 PM
I had a flurry for awhile, and you are right it is good for the price, but not as nice as the 911, (I'm 35 but the flurry still fits me :D) I went with this one for an upgrade. I liked it better than 911