PDA

View Full Version : Walkie recommendations?

abaez
12-09-2003, 09:21 PM
So after two scenarios me and my friend are looking to get some walkies. I've read that motorola is good and so is cobra. Does anyone have any recommendations? Or is there a certain model that is the standard for scenarios and stuff like this? I was looking at these:

http://www.costco.com/frameset.asp?trg=subcat%2Easp&catid=79&subid=82&hierid=2159&log=&NavTop=

Which look pretty good, any objections?

notbob
12-10-2003, 11:56 AM
IMHO go with VHF.
You can get them from any marine store or most large sports stores.

Reasons:
1)More channels
2)Not many people have them - thus less clutter
3)Better Range

We use VHF radios that cost between $80 and $100 depending on what maker/model and options you get.

For instance, I have a uniden atlantis, which comes with a car charger, wall charger, rechargeable pack and a battery pack. It cost me $95.

If you don't want to pay that much, you can get a Humminbird for $80 but it only comes with a wall charger and rechargeable pack.

You can also get headsets for them from radio shack for around $20.

68 Mag
12-14-2003, 10:20 PM
If you want to have communications with the largest possible group, get any basic FRS radio. They generally have around 2 miles of range, and just about everyone has one. That's great if you need to call for help mid- firefight, but at the same time, the other team can hear you calling if they're on your channel.

If you want to get serious about it, get your HAM radio liscense and a handheld unit. Liscense is free, but radio costs start around 100 bucks I believe. And then you'll spend as much time as a radio operator as a paintball player, trying to explain to all the other amateur radio operators what you're doing. Some people might not appreciate you using their hobby to play paintball.

A best bet would be a Motorola FRS or FRS/ GMRS radio. They cover all the basic FRS frequencies for mass- communications, and have several GMRS frequencies which are becoming increasingly common, but not so much as FRS.

If you want ultra- secrecy, get a cheap cell phone, because almost any other radio frequency can be picked up by a 100 dollar Wal-Mart scanner. US made scanners are supposed to have the 800 mhz bands blocked out, but sometimes I still pick up cell calls on mine. Legally I have to roll over it, though. :rolleyes:

Another option is a small FM transciever. I dont know much about these, but I have two in my room that say Radio Shack that were gifts.

Price can be a big deal. HAM units start around 100. You can get a regular FRS at Wal-Mart for 15 bucks, I think. I know you can get a set for 20 or 30. FRS/ GMRS radios can run between 40 and 100 bucks, occasionally more for a new model.

A key will be figuring out what you want the radio to do, and then your choice will be much simpler.