halfHP
12-10-2003, 05:15 PM
First off, here is my setup as it may be pertainent:
xvalve w lvl 10
ule trigger pull kit
No-Rise body
Standard Automag body rail
Intelliframe w/ bladed trigger
various air supplies including a 4500psi 68ci flatline via remote line directly into the side of the xvalve.
(as you can see, all AGD parts)

I have just gone upgrade crazy on my automag - replaced the RetroValve with the new Xvalve first.

After alot of work I got everything shooting but noticed a HUGE drop in gas efficiency. Somewhere in the area of 10-20 shots droping a 68ci 4500psi flatline down from 2200psi to 2100 or less. Same with an unregulated tank I tried so I know its not the flatline.

I cant adjust down the pressure very far either or else the gun wont power up - seems like it has to be screwed in almost all the way.

Ive tried going to a bigger carrier and even refitting with a new carrier oring and refitting that. At the smaller size the gun doesnt power up period. At the larger sizes I get alot of leaking. Once I got one that would actually fire decently I had to turn the gun up so high that I could actually feel the Xvalve vibrating from the force of release and was getting nasty shootdown.

That aside, I also purchased the ULE trigger pull kit. Probably not a good idea to install another upgrade while the first isnt working correctly. It does have a lighter pull but I really underestimated just how bad the shortstroking was. I think I also read about how unforgiving it is to people who dont completely release the trigger after each shot. Needless to say, I lost a pretty large amount of speed. I added another shim and that helped my problem a little bit. Tried to add another for a total of 4 but apparrently have run out of compressed air to continue testing with. Is it normal to not be able to power up an xvalve at 1k psi?

Ive been playing quite a while but Im by no means a master of the inner workings of the Automag - and thats why I have stuck with them. They have always been simple and maintenance free for me. Im definitely in over my head but I would very much welcome any suggestions or links to good threads on these topics that people might have available. Thanks for helping me out!

Nick

Branchvillian
12-10-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by halfHP
Is it normal to not be able to power up an xvalve at 1k psi?

The x valve should def. be working with 1000 psi. The input pressure is somehwere around 800, so yeh, it should be working.

ChucktheMAGician
12-11-2003, 08:28 AM
1k is getting a little low. It depends on your reg a little and how accurate you think the guage is. I always try to refil aroun 1k and definately before 800psi. I'd go ahead and get a refil so you know that low pressure isn't a problem. Earlier you mentioned problems w/ efficiency. Which spring were you using? The smallest will provide the best efficiency.

athomas
12-11-2003, 10:09 AM
You seem to have located the proper carrier to use. That's good. Now, make sure your gun is chronoed so you are operating at the correct velocity. What spring are you using? The shortest spring will give you the best efficiency. A lot of people elect to use the middle red or cut spring for their setup as it gives a good compromise between softness and efficiency.

Once you get the level 10 setup properly, then takle the ULT.

A lot of gauges don't give an accurate reading at or around the 1000psi mark. Don't trust your gauge. Refill your tank and try again.

halfHP
12-11-2003, 11:07 AM
I was originally using the soft spring and was having more or less the same issues. Recently I moved to the medium spring since I most commonly shoot in the 290fps range.

As far as the air goes, I just brought my gun and 2 tanks home with me so I could tinker - usually I store all my gear at the place I play at, including 3 scuba fill tanks for refilling. I usually give the gauges 100 or so psi leeway but typically I think its pretty safe to assume I am getting roughly 2800psi per fill as both the fill station and bottle gauges agree on that.

Would taking a shim off of the carrier reduce leaking? I thought I had read somewhere that it could but may also cause the bolt to stick. Currently I am at 2 shims.

Dayspring
12-11-2003, 11:19 AM
I don't use shims in the level 10 at all. You only use them in the event of bolt stick.

halfHP
12-11-2003, 11:39 AM
whooops....just read some of these posts over - the red spring is the middle spring?? I thought the silver one was. Theres one thing to fix.

Also gonna take out the shims per Dayspring's info.

Thanks guys! I think I am getting back on the right track again.

Nick