PDA

View Full Version : Gas Hog?

Dbl_Edge
12-11-2003, 10:49 AM
Ok, really trying to narrow down my choice, and I basically have between a cocker and a mag. I have been on this forum for a while, and know for the most part 'we' are not very pro-cocker. However, the only issue seperating these two (for me, right now) is gas. I don't live very close to a field, so my friends and I usually get together at my house, where I've set up 3 speedball fields and am planning on making a trench field. Either way, we dont have the luxury of 'all day air'. Can somebody please tell me how many shots I should get out of an valved mag, and a stock cocker. Thanks

jake

RRfireblade
12-11-2003, 11:00 AM
My mostly stock cocker gets around 200 more shots than any of my L10 mags.

Jay.

Thordic
12-11-2003, 11:13 AM
Cocker will be more effecient than the mag 90% of the time if you are using LX and/or an XValve.

Fixion
12-11-2003, 11:44 AM
My cocker can shoot a lot more than my mag on about the same amount of air. Sadly mags are gas hogs :(. But that doesn't discourage me, I have a 114 cu tank :D

sime
12-11-2003, 12:34 PM
might i suggest that you and your friends invest in a scuba tank or 3? split 5-6 ways it won't be much at all, then you will have "all day air"

if you do, and are able to get more then one......use one to fill the majority of the tank, then another to top it up (and if possible, a 3rd to top it up again) and keep going in this order. you will get the best fills this way. and when the time comes, just get the first tank refilled, and now use that one as the last tank in your chain........

just a suggestion.

UltimatePaintballer
12-11-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by RRfireblade
My mostly stock cocker gets around 200 more shots than any of my L10 mags.

Jay.

i think it would help by saying how many shots you get and what tank size you are using

but i would say that you they both get pretty good rates, better then most others, i get usually around 800-1000 shots w/ 68/45 on an upgrade cocker so idk if that would help.

RRfireblade
12-11-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by UltimatePaintballer

i think it would help by saying how many shots you get and what tank size you are using

Shots per tank are highly subjective,especially on various cocker setups.

Simply,cockers on a whole are typically a fair amount more efficient than Mags.If your filling your own tanks (as I do),and have to deal with less than 3000psi most of the day, it's even a bigger difference as a cocker will normally shoot reliably at a lower PSI than a L10 mag.A soft L10 setting stops shooting somewhere around 7-800psi,and even my stock cocker will shoot down to 300psi.That's at least whole game of rec ball for me which could add up to 4-5 games by the end of the day.

And for most,lugging around 2 or 3 scubas(I actually have 4)to the field along with all my other gear is not really something I feel like doing most of the time.

Jay.

BTW, I use a 68/3000 most of the time as that's all the PSI I'm gonna get from a scuba and I didn't buy a tight and tiny mag just to screw the Hindenburg to the back of it.;)

sime
12-11-2003, 02:45 PM
but mr biker, double edge said he set up the fields at his house.........2 or 3 scubas may work just fine for him. then he can decide mag or cocker on the virtues of each marker. or just how important the back block movment is to him.

i was just mentioning the scuba thing, as nobody else had, especially if they play at his place.

Kevmaster
12-11-2003, 02:50 PM
a properly set up LX X-Valved RTPro/Emag/XMag will get roughly 1100-1200 shots per 68/45 tank.

thats shooting ~280ish with an efficient barrel

RRfireblade
12-11-2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by sime
but mr biker, double edge said he set up the fields at his house.........2 or 3 scubas may work just fine for him. then he can decide mag or cocker on the virtues of each marker. or just how important the back block movment is to him.

i was just mentioning the scuba thing, as nobody else had, especially if they play at his place.

That's fine,that was just my own feeling.Not a negative comment on anyone.;)

sime
12-11-2003, 03:18 PM
i know, and i realise my post sounded negative, it wasn't......

by the way:
ducatis rule!

RRfireblade
12-11-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by sime

by the way:
ducatis rule!

Sure, if you allow tham twice the dispalcement and a weight advantage. ;)

Jay.

P.S. Bikes rule peroid.

sime
12-12-2003, 02:22 AM
ps, indeed they do; just some are nicer (ducati) then others (honda)

but yeah, unless it has the initials HD, i generally like it. and despite always wanting a 916/996/998, i'd be a fool to turn down an R6 or F4i..........

trevorjk
12-12-2003, 04:00 AM
well i shoot an xvalved lx ult mag and i can honestly say with my setup 88cu 4500psi tank and lapco bigshot barrel i get around 1200 shots off of it but thats depending if my macro line leaks or not.... i need some new stuff and a new on/off though

breg
12-12-2003, 05:35 AM
There are other things to look at. I know that they reliability (sp?) problems with the Cocker are largely fixed, but there is just so much more that can go wrong with a Cocker. Mags are much simplier in design and maintenance.
But, yes, I'vr noticed that Mag's don't usually get as many shots from a similar tank as other markers.