PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of quitting grad school

Miscue
12-11-2003, 08:38 PM
The more I get into the CIS program, the more I realize it is a complete waste of my time and money... except for the degree at the end. It's not the school, or the instructors, as much as it is the nature of a non-engineering/non-scientific program I am in. I'm about 1/4 done, and I have learned nothing... the assignments take too long, and it is more a test of my ability to tolerate it.

I think I might be kidding myself if I think it will really help me with my career... but I would like to be a part-time professor/instructor eventually, or at least have that option.

What are your thoughts?

personman
12-11-2003, 08:44 PM
Be cool, stay in school.

p8ntball1016
12-11-2003, 08:47 PM
b kool nd sta in skool

SlipknotX556
12-11-2003, 08:50 PM
Its your choice, if you have landed a good job already and dont need what you are learning in grad school, drop out.

pointm@n
12-11-2003, 08:52 PM
Why not take a break for a semester and free your mind for a while. Then go back and and give it another go. Sometimes a break is a good thing, especially if you feel burned out or you've lost your motivation.

abarnhar
12-11-2003, 09:17 PM
I'm right here in grad-school hell with you.

Somedays it's tougher than hell just to get the motivation to read or write another paper. Often, it's the teachers who kill a class for me. If a teacher is doing a poor job, then I'm less likely to put the time into the class. Basically, less effort on the part of the prof equals less effort from me.

How I usually get through it is convincing myself that after all these academic hoops, I'll be able to start teaching myself. Then I can (hopefully) make a difference and get at least one student to give a damn about life and putting some honest effort into it. In other words, I want to be the teacher that so many people have failed to be to me.

Maybe the same rings true with you?

Miscue
12-11-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by abarnhar
I'm right here in grad-school hell with you.

Somedays it's tougher than hell just to get the motivation to read or write another paper. Often, it's the teachers who kill a class for me. If a teacher is doing a poor job, then I'm less likely to put the time into the class. Basically, less effort on the part of the prof equals less effort from me.

How I usually get through it is convincing myself that after all these academic hoops, I'll be able to start teaching myself. Then I can (hopefully) make a difference and get at least one student to give a damn about life and putting some honest effort into it. In other words, I want to be the teacher that so many people have failed to be to me.

Maybe the same rings true with you?

Sounds nearly identical to myself.

I think that most of my issues are that, the assignments in my opinion are a waste of time. Many instructors may know their field, but do not know how to teach.

I dunno if this is sado-masochist or something, but I prefer a class that can kick my *** because the material is difficult. The classes I've been taking are far from difficult, but time consuming as heck - that's what makes it difficult.

So here is my dilemma... I do not think that additional schooling will be of any help. My engineering degree, plus certifications I have and will have are more than sufficient... and overshadow a CIS degree, even if it is at a 'masters' level... which I would beg to differ, it seems like an undergrad program.

What I did do is... request a 2-3 month break, which makes me lose my financial aid. This is no problem because I'll have a job. Also, I requested to change programs and go straight for a doctoral degree... which some universities will allow w/o a masters. Hopefully they will allow me to do this.

My ultimate goal is to have the option to be a professor, this cuts to the chase. I don't really need more school to advance my career.

abarnhar
12-11-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Miscue
Many instructors may know their field, but do not know how to teach.Truer words were never spoken.

The nice part about the technical fields are that jobs are usually available with a bachelors. Also, an immediate doctorate is doable.

In the humanities (philosophy, theology, etc... my kind of stuff), they (potential employers) want all the hoops jumped through... masters, doctoral, publishing. Yeck. And fat chance of getting a job in your field with just a masters in humanities... you'll just be flipping burgers.

gibby
12-12-2003, 03:31 PM
For me...having gone through engineering till my junior year, then switching to computer science major...I've had a lot of teachers that either sucked or was really good(very rare). However, most focused on theory and stuff which is all good...but it did not prepare me for the real world. The problem solving skills I've learned through work wasn't taught by my professors. Actually, it broke away from what my professors taught me because it wasn't applicable to real world projects. Their system of problem solving heavily focused on the individual and not the collaboration of fellow coworkers. So although the theory was enough to let me keep up with conversations and such...the problem solving skills I have now is through work.

I think if you wanted to get your masters...do it while you're working. Not only will get the chance to put all those theories to the test, but you'll also gain valuable experience in the work environment. Also, if you find a good company, they might even be willing to help put you get your masters.

The biggest challenge for me is to put to test the knowledge I've learned. Good luck!!

Muzikman
12-12-2003, 03:38 PM
Que,

My suggestion is to not quit grad school but to get your grad degree in something such as business. In the computer industry, unless you really want to be a geek your entire life, undergrad in CIS/Comp Sci and a masters in business or MIS is the best way to advance your career.

lord1234
12-12-2003, 03:39 PM
cue,
a little trick my brother used
get into the doctorate program, and then once you are done with all the prereq's for your masters, QUIT. You get your masters degree...and haven't had to pay for it:)

--Lord1234

USAF-Flyboy with a Mag
12-12-2003, 04:18 PM
Why not change the major..instead of CIS go into software engineering. More money and more jobs in that area.

Miscue
12-12-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by USAF-Flyboy with a Mag
Why not change the major..instead of CIS go into software engineering. More money and more jobs in that area.

Well, I'm not aware of schools available to me in software engineering... unless you are referring to more Computer Science. I don't have any desire to learn more theory that I will not apply... I'm better off learning more things in that area on my own.

I think I'll take a few months off... clear my head... and give it another shot. I was beyond burnt out with school years ago... I guess it's just a matter of putting up with it for one more year.

impostal22
12-13-2003, 04:08 PM
two things..
1- what is CIS?
2-....i'm in my first semester of (undergrad) college right now and have noooooo clue what i wanna do....i've always liked programming, but don't think i'd wanna do it for a living (a la office space). i'm much more into technical fields than humanities (except i really dislike math nowadays...and science..but not programming)...yet humanities give you no real opportunity for anything...sigh. the only other thing i was thinkign i could possibly do is teach...probably high school rather than college...professors at college seem to care far less than any high school teacher i had, which is really disappointing...so ya...sorry, i don't mean to make this about me, but i really needed to vent, cuz i feel like a lost cause here at SUNY bing.:(

hockaloogey
12-13-2003, 04:17 PM
don't drop out - that would be bad :eek: