PDA

View Full Version : Re-Sandblast

homis
12-12-2003, 10:22 AM
Hi all, pulled my (apparently old school at this point) Level 7.0 CP/PF out of the closet the other day and the receiver has some small surface rust spots on it. Can I just sandblast it (have a access to a professional sandblaster)? Any suggestions/advice? Or does AGD offer a cheapo re-blast service? TIA.

krafty
12-12-2003, 10:34 AM
Just pop it in the blaster and clean off the rust. Don't think it should be a problem.

athomas
12-12-2003, 10:40 AM
You must mean corrosion or discoloration. The body is stainless steel. The rest is aluminum. They won't rust.

I would suggest a good cleaning.

homis
12-12-2003, 10:58 AM
Thanks guys. Another question : since I've been out of the game for so long (I still have the 40 round 'ammo box' WGP shipped with my ~#3400 AutoCocker), I want to order a Level 10 bolt instead of replacing foamies every other game. It will fit on my Level 7.0 CP/PF correct?

11_Mile_TMaster
12-12-2003, 11:28 AM
Umm... Level 10s use foamies. I've used mine through a few games, though, with no ill effects.

Now, there is a Hardnose bolt, but it doesn't have the anti-chop properties of the Level 10.

Both should work on your gun.

argnot
12-12-2003, 08:37 PM
Stainless Steal can rust. If it is in a humid enviroment for a long time it will rust or if it is in contact with other rust. Steal wool works great as well. If you are going to pack your guns away for a while lube it up externally to prevent rust.

BlackVCG
12-13-2003, 01:29 AM
Yes, SS regardless of the grade, can and will rust over time. Nowhere near as easily as mild steel, but it will get surface rust if you don't keep it clean.

As mentioned, steel wool will clean it up real easily.

You can bead blast the mainbody w/o a problem. The factory finish is bead blasted and then oiled. Just be sure to clean it out real well once you're done.

athomas
12-13-2003, 11:03 AM
Hmmm, interesting. I've never actually seen stainless steel rust. I've seen it corrode, especially when in contact with other metals. Aluminum and stainless is a bad combination, especially when the stainess steel is a lower grade. I use stainless steel and aluminum everyday at my job. I'm curious now. I'll have to drop a piece in a moist tray and see how long it takes to rust.:)