PDA

View Full Version : Greyhounds

PaInTbAlLeR476
12-14-2003, 07:10 PM
Well, the time has come for a new pet. My mom wants to get a greyhound. Does anyone know anything about em? Do they shead alot. Please tell me any more info about em that i should know.

spazzed
12-14-2003, 07:16 PM
*shed ;)

Never had one before, but my understanding is that they're relatively fickle & sickly dogs...

PyRo
12-14-2003, 07:18 PM
I had one, she used to be a track dog. She had a habbit of chewing on the railings on the deck. She would spend the majority of the day laying in her bed. When she was up and around she wasn't very playfull, you could never get her to chase a ball, or even run. She didn't care too much for attention, not a very good pet. Someone else took her from us, and we got a differant dog.

dinger
12-14-2003, 07:19 PM
aren't those the beastly beasts that are huge?

is that the dog that pulled the grandma and made her fly forwards in that one .gif??

its a big pooch.
feed it steak.
watch out for flying monkies.

dinger
12-14-2003, 07:20 PM
haha pyro your dog sucked

Clare
12-14-2003, 07:23 PM
I have 2 italian greyhounds, which are essentially miniature versions of them. They really don't shed that much at all and are fantastic dogs. I love them to death! From my experience around full sized greyhounds (I worked at Petsmart for about a year), is that they're generally very docile and friendly. Will you be adopting from a greyhound rescue group? If you are, their temperaments will really depend on where they came from. Some may not be as friendly since they may have lived a traumatic life.

PyRo
12-14-2003, 07:24 PM
I know my dog sucked :(
They are kind of big but they are built very small and light. Long legs, small bodys, they were breed for racing.

dinger
12-14-2003, 07:26 PM
i was thinking of the great dane haah...

but, my mom says greyhounds are fast, hence the name of the bus company :o

PaInTbAlLeR476
12-14-2003, 07:27 PM
Probably going to adopt one.

PyRo
12-14-2003, 07:29 PM
I wouldn't adopt a greyhound, much better dogs out there in need of homes. And they are fast, as I said breed for racing.

PaInTbAlLeR476
12-14-2003, 07:32 PM
If i had my choice it wouldnt be a grey hound, but my cat just died and my moms really upset, plus i wont be living at home much longer, so i figure i wont argue with her, ill let her get what she wants. And she has always wanted a greyhound.

PyRo
12-14-2003, 07:35 PM
Tell her to talk to me, she won't want one anymore :)

Clare
12-14-2003, 07:37 PM
I wouldn't adopt a greyhound, much better dogs out there in need of homes.

Why don't greyhounds deserve as much a chance as other dogs to be adopted? Just because you may have had a 'bad experience' with one doesn't mean that all greyhounds should be classified as inadequate pets.

Cryer
12-14-2003, 07:42 PM
I wouldn't adopt a greyhound, much better dogs out there in need of homes. Capo's Greyhounds are the coolest dogs! Friendly, enthusiastic, and FAST! If I were to get a dog, I think Id have a tough time deciding between a greyhound, a weimreiner, or a short haired lab of some sort.

PyRo
12-14-2003, 07:54 PM
We went to adopt one, there were about 15 of them there. They all had that same attitude. I guess its just a result of there treatment at the track.

03vert
12-14-2003, 08:12 PM
cool lookin dogs, my aunt had one with a brindle coat. dumb as hell really but fast as heck and very well tempered. i mean when he wanted to do something physical he went all out.

1stdeadeye
12-14-2003, 08:22 PM
Eh? I am too lazy to have a fast dog!;)

My English Cocker is just fine. He sheds very little and is as lazy as me!:D

Mango
12-14-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by PyRo

Thats a very ignorant thing to say. :rolleyes:

PyRo
12-14-2003, 09:48 PM
Why? I'm ignorent because I don't like a certain breed of dog.

Lopy-slopy
12-14-2003, 09:50 PM
all I know is one of those dumb dogs made me lose 20 bucks!:mad:

1stdeadeye
12-14-2003, 09:55 PM

Like say a Pit Bull?:rolleyes:

Get one of those and you may wake up dead....:confused:

Hey Pyro get a pit bull!!!:p

ChucktheMAGician
12-14-2003, 10:00 PM
As mentioned temperment can vary from dog to dog. They are indoor dogs however as they do not have enough fat to keep them warm, I guess that would depend on wher you live tho. There is a "former race dog adoption agency" locally and they are vary informative and help people who are looking to adopt make sure they get sane dogs. You may want to try to find someone or an agency like that who has specific knowledge of the dogs and their care.

Lopy-slopy
12-14-2003, 10:00 PM
how bout a S-h-i-tzu(freken filter try's a filter out the name), something about that name make me wanna own one.

ChucktheMAGician
12-14-2003, 10:08 PM
Spelling it right may help, Shih-tzu;) Oh but don't get one:)

graycie
12-15-2003, 12:41 AM
well if you've never had large dogs before, you may not want to start with a greyhound. not saying they are bad pets, but its a huge adjustment (literally). dogs are alot more maintence than cats, and larger dogs especially need roaming space.

TraXeR
12-15-2003, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by CaPoEiRa
I have 2 italian greyhounds, which are essentially miniature versions of them. They really don't shed that much at all and are fantastic dogs. I love them to death! From my experience around full sized greyhounds (I worked at Petsmart for about a year), is that they're generally very docile and friendly. Will you be adopting from a greyhound rescue group? If you are, their temperaments will really depend on where they came from. Some may not be as friendly since they may have lived a traumatic life.

I have to agree with Capo on this one. About 5 years ago before they moved, my neighbours adopted a greyhound. Amazing pets and extremely friendly if treated well, I had to watch them every now and then when they went on vacation. Adoption as well is a good thing to think of. My cat was adopted and she had a traumatic life (always, and I mean ALWAYS runs away if you try to touch her tail). But she's the sweetest thing ever.

Make sure you can take them out alot, from my experience these are NOT the kinds of dogs you keep cooped up inside all day.

Zygote
12-15-2003, 10:01 AM
Greyhounds are great dogs. They're like big lazy cats. They can sleep all day or tear around the yard at 43mph. They pretty much adjust to the activity level of their owner. They also rarely ever bark. During the entire time we had Corban I heard her bark twice, and once was when someone stepped on her tail. If you adopt one from a rescue agency it will already be crate-trained and used to people. However, it might have difficulty going up stairs at first, having never seen them before. They also can't be allowed to run around outside off of a leash or they'll be gone after the first small animal they see and they could be out of sight by the time you realize it. The best part is that if you adopt one, you're saving it from being killed for lab testing or thrown into the Everglades to feed the crocs, so it pretty much has to love you.

RRfireblade
12-15-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by CaPoEiRa

We have 4 Italian Greyhounds in our family as well.They are pretty awesome dogs but a bit "hyper" for most peoples taste.The full sized G-Hounds are definately more docile and make a wonderful pet IMO.

Living in Daytona,X race bred G-hounds are plentiful and deserve greatly to be adopted and able to live the rest of thier life peacefully after being worked way to hard thier whole life just to make some lowlife racer/breeders some extra cash.It's kinda sad what most of them go through during thier "usefull" years.They deserve a break at least as much as any other "better" dogs if not more.

Jay.

Mango
12-15-2003, 12:38 PM
Why? I'm ignorent because I don't like a certain breed of dog.

Saying that a breed of dog is not worthy of adoption/purchase just because you had a bad experience with it is what is ignorant, and quite immature.

kevdupuis
12-15-2003, 12:55 PM
My family used to raise and train Greyhounds for hunting. That was part of the fun when I was growing up, heading out with the dogs in the back of the truck going after rabbit and fox.
I love the breed.

PyRo
12-15-2003, 03:02 PM
What? Because I said I wouldn't want another one? My Standard poodle and Rot/lab mix are awsome :)
I want a Rot or a Dobermine (however the heck you spell that)